Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

At what point do you give up on drop bars?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

At what point do you give up on drop bars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-21, 02:56 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
A good time to give up on drops is when you are tired of spending money and time trying to find one that works.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 08-26-21, 03:34 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Maybe give mustache handlebars a shot?
Old 08-26-21, 03:48 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I have issues with the 42s on my Lotuses, but I am getting used to them. Still prefer 44s, but try finding SR Road Custom bars in 44mm.
Have you tried Nitto B105/B115? They seem pretty close to the SR road bars to me (as long as we're not talking about the anatomical bend or randonneur varieties.)
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 08-26-21, 04:28 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10413 Post(s)
Liked 11,874 Times in 6,081 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Have you tried Nitto B105/B115? They seem pretty close to the SR road bars to me (as long as we're not talking about the anatomical bend or randonneur varieties.)
I can live with the 42s. It's part of the C&V aesthetic, since that's what they used to put on bikes for guys my size.

Now, the 40cm bars on my Schwinn Circuit - those had to go.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-26-21, 04:39 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I have 45 cm B115s on my old Schwinn road bike. These days they would qualify as long reach and deep drop but it think it’s only 100mm reach and 140mm drop.

Otto
Old 08-26-21, 04:42 PM
macstuff 

Bikes: A Blue One and 2 Green One's, then there's the Yellow one. And oh, yeah, a Black One. Did I mention the Red One?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 82 Posts
I notice that things digress rather quickly.....

Aaah for the days of the Kelly adjustable handlebar.
I imagine that if still being sold today, the Kelly bars would have modern refinements like modern metals, adjustable angle and level on the fly.

Kelly's were a type that butterfly'd at the stem and could be drop bars, track bars or tourist style. But you would need to stop and have a wrench handy if you wanted to change positions while riding.
Old 08-26-21, 05:20 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Originally Posted by ofajen
I have 45 cm B115s on my old Schwinn road bike. These days they would qualify as long reach and deep drop but it think it’s only 100mm reach and 140mm drop.

Otto
Yeah, I lose track of the drop and reach figures, but I have a mix of B115s and SR Road bars on my road bikes and like them about equally. Just to be clear, I'm not recommending them for the OP, just thought the Nitto bars might be worth considering for genejockey if he wanted something like the SR bars, but wider.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-26-21, 05:45 PM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
At birth.
Likes For subgrade:
Old 08-26-21, 06:06 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I completely changed from flat bars on all my bikes to drop bars about 2 years ago (really more like 3, but I had a flat bar bike in the stable up to two yrs. ago). I could do the long distances on both, but I have just found the flexibility of a drop bar more fun.
I'm thinking the same thing
Old 08-26-21, 06:28 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
I'm thinking the same thing
If nothing else, trying it is a good n+1 rationale.
Old 08-26-21, 06:30 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
95% of cyclists who use drop bars don't even have enough flexibility, mobility and skill to ride in the drops.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-26-21, 06:34 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
I've ridden flat bars with bar ends for thousands and thousands of miles, and I was thinking hard about going to drops
I've changed from flat bars to drops then to riser bars then back to drops then to flat bars and then back to drops. Right now i have two bikes set up with drops and one with flat bars. I am happy with my current set ups and that's how i will keep my bikes.
Old 08-26-21, 06:48 PM
Medium Size Dog

Bikes: 98 Trek 6000 MTB, 70's mutant St. Etienne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 32 Posts
If you don't like 'em, you don't like 'em. If it hurts, stop it. In addition to all of the fit, angle issues and handlebar choices, a contributing factor to comfort and endurance in any position is strength and flexibility of wrist, hand and fingers. Exercises that also include forearms, elbows and shoulders help make any position or handlebar choice more versatile and tolerable
Old 08-26-21, 06:54 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Originally Posted by wolfchild
95% of cyclists who use drop bars don't even have enough flexibility, mobility and skill to ride in the drops.
[citation needed]
RUSA #7498
Old 08-26-21, 08:18 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Quoted: 3132 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Sprinting high-pressure 23c rubber from the drops at +1,000w across flat tarmac is an experience without peer in the world of cycling. Yeah, you can drop the wattage off a bar-end equipped flatbar, but the feeling of control, precision and efficacy simply isn’t there. But again, a flat bar is the more more versatile bar for my tastes and habits, so it’s a matter of having the right tool for the job at hand, and I’m fortunate to have enough bikes to have the precise bike for 95% of the jobs I face. Having to pick one bike and one bar for everything is a demand I don’t envy.
Old 08-26-21, 08:34 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6952 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
And 95% of statistics about cyclists on drop bars are pulled out of someone's a**.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-26-21, 08:45 PM
tobey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I don't have a problem with the drops except in those rare instances when I want to both be in the drops and standing. I find that that somewhat difficult as my wrists bang into the drops.
Old 08-26-21, 10:09 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
I use riser stems with drops on some bikes and adjustable stems (adjusted with upward tilt to raise the bars) with drops on others, all with barcon shifters and they are all acceptably comfortable. The advantage of an adjustable stem is that you can try different positions without a lot of hassle. Some folks think they look dorky and those folks may not be wrong.

Likes For thumpism:
Old 08-27-21, 02:08 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Quoted: 3132 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Some folks think they look dorky and those folks may not be wrong.

Or they may be not only wrong, but ignorant of history. Jacquie Phelan ruled MTB on such a setup:

Likes For chaadster:
Old 08-27-21, 07:21 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
If nothing else, trying it is a good n+1 rationale.
you talked me into it, thanks!
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 08-27-21, 07:31 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Never a need to "give up" on drop-bars, they are the best. I tried flat-bars - once, about two years ago (after 23 years on drop-bars exclusively) - when I borrowed a bicycle with them for a quick ride up the road and back. It was such an alien, haphazard feeling (especially when riding down hills) that I never wanted a bicycle with them. They offer zero benefit and a whole bunch of detriment. I too rode BMX bicycles when I was young lad but, even those bars had some back-sweep to them. My first rear-derailleur bicycle was a junky MontgomeryWards 10-speed left over from the 'late-'70s before I bought my first new bicycle appropriately sized for me, a Trek 520 (the one in my profile). I think it's just a willingness to get accustomed to the handlebars. Maybe your riding environment too, though. I was riding mostly rural roads when getting accustomed to the drop-bars.
Old 08-27-21, 08:00 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 684 Times in 440 Posts
I'm comfortable in all three positions - the flat, the hoods, and the drops - but even more comfortable when I'm switching between all three. For long rides, there's no question that I'm using one of my bikes with drop bars.
Old 08-27-21, 08:39 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I ride drop bars exclusively for road or mostly smooth surfaces. I have learned how to size my bikes properly, plus years of riding have taught my body how to adapt to slight variations in position. My commuter and touring bike have small saddle-to-bar drop. My road bikes have varying degrees of drop, depending on how I intend to ride them. Randonneur bars, ergo drop bars, traditional road bars, narrow, wider...they all can be made to be comfortable for me. So, not only haven't I "given up", I'm a strong proponent of them.

My wife and I do use flat bars for our mountain bikes, but even that has required many subtle adaptations to make them as comfortable as they can be. Ergon grips, cutting to best width, rotation of controls, stem length (obviously, and inversely related to bar width)...all of these are necessary.

If my wife isn't comfortable on her bike, that is to say if there's the slightest thing she finds distracting, I'll know about it in short order. So...
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 08-27-21, 09:05 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by denaffen
My question -- what I hoped to get out of the conversation -- was really whether there was something I hadn't tried, or if I needed to tough it out more, or if I've put in the good effort and should give up.
What I know about drops for me (to be comfortable):

1. Seat - bar should be roughly parallel. Having bars too low means I pitch forward and put too much weight on my hands. Going to the drops beyond that is too much.

2. Flared drops help put the wrist/hand in a more natural position. On traditional drops I have to flex the wrist a bit to hold the drops.

3. Angle of saddle is critical. Here one needs to decide where one wants to spend the most time; hoods or drops. A saddle optimized for hoods will put a bit of pressure to the perineum which causes numbness or pain after a while. A saddle optimized for the drops causes one to put to much weight on the hands to hold ones self up when in the hoods. I tend to slide forward off the nose of the saddle (exaggerated to make the point).

Before adjusting that I found drops uncomfortable for long periods because I would numb out the perineum. I now have two bikes with drops. One, my FG, is optimized for the drops. The other, my touring bike, is optimized for the hoods. On my touring bike I also have aero bars.
Old 08-27-21, 09:38 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
Never a need to "give up" on drop-bars, they are the best. I tried flat-bars - once, about two years ago (after 23 years on drop-bars exclusively) - when I borrowed a bicycle with them for a quick ride up the road and back. It was such an alien, haphazard feeling (especially when riding down hills) that I never wanted a bicycle with them. They offer zero benefit and a whole bunch of detriment. I too rode BMX bicycles when I was young lad but, even those bars had some back-sweep to them. My first rear-derailleur bicycle was a junky MontgomeryWards 10-speed left over from the 'late-'70s before I bought my first new bicycle appropriately sized for me, a Trek 520 (the one in my profile). I think it's just a willingness to get accustomed to the handlebars. Maybe your riding environment too, though. I was riding mostly rural roads when getting accustomed to the drop-bars.

I love the drop bars, but I don't agree that they are inherently superior for everyone. If someone really has found they don't like them, I don't see much point in feeling obligated to learn to put up with them.

OTOH, I also think there's lots of good reasons why riding the hoods on a drop bar is a better hand position than I can get comfortably on any flat bar and there's nothing as convenient as brifters on any other kind of handlebars. So for me, use of the drops is a fairly minor consideration--I doubt I spend as much as 10% of my riding time on the drops. I am pretty aero on the hoods, however.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.