Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

GRX front derailleur hack

Old 09-05-21, 06:37 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
GRX front derailleur hack

I know FDs are relatively inexpensive but sometimes you want to try what's in the parts bin. I recently treated an old steel frame to a new GRX crank. First I tried a derailleur with the proper 28.6 band clamp. I couldn't get the trim set to suit me. Next I tried one with a 31.8 clamp plus the shim. This worked well. Apparently the shim brought the FD out far enough to satisfy the GRX crank. Maybe someone else will find this helpful.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-05-21, 07:49 AM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
We have considered 3D-printing a shim for this purpose where the inner hole is offset by 2.5MM to compensate for th GRX wider spacing. We have not yet had to do it, but glad to hear thsi wirked as well. We have 3D-printed parts for other purposes as well and it is at times a handy solution o a strange problem.
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 09-05-21, 08:44 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I don't quite understand how the standard shim helps, since they are symmetric and should put the FD in the same place.

I like the idea of an eccentric shim, that's a good use of a 3d printer.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 09-05-21, 09:52 AM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Bikes: 71 International 72 Super Course 83 Gap

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 310 Posts
JTEK makes an eccentric shim that lets you use a 34.9 der on a 28.6 seat tube and sells it through SJS Cycles in England. They are fairly painless to order. Great for making the wrong derailleur work better!

Likes For JacobLee:
Old 09-05-21, 02:54 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I don't quite understand how the standard shim helps, since they are symmetric and should put the FD in the same place.

I like the idea of an eccentric shim, that's a good use of a 3d printer.
It seemed to me that the FD with 31.8 clamp (shimmed to fit the 28.6 seat tube) sat a little more to the drive side than the FD with native 28.6 clamp. I could be wrong....
Old 09-05-21, 06:59 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by JacobLee
JTEK makes an eccentric shim that lets you use a 34.9 der on a 28.6 seat tube and sells it through SJS Cycles in England. They are fairly painless to order. Great for making the wrong derailleur work better!

Nice!
Old 09-06-21, 04:05 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
SRAM makes a "wide spacing" front derailleur clamp that moves the derailleur over 2.5mm. It's a little pricey, but it was designed to work with their "wide spacing" cranksets, which was their version of GRX for road cranksets. The cranksets were pretty much an OEM only thing for gravel bike manufacturers, but the clamps are available. I have used the clamps to adapt standard road derailleurs to mountain cranksets.
Likes For dsaul: