Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Apartment Living: Do you lock up your bike inside?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Apartment Living: Do you lock up your bike inside?

Old 05-05-21, 09:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Interested to see if the OP is a one and doner.

Not an OP, a necromancer.
Old 05-05-21, 12:35 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
After I had my mountain bike stolen out from the back of the garage while my wife was working in the garden, I lock up my bike and trike in the garage.
Old 05-05-21, 03:17 PM
ropetwitch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
My friend's new bike was stolen when he parked outside and I don't wanna suffer the same consequences. I always bring my back inside the apartment and make sure that the doors are lock.
Old 05-05-21, 06:32 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 381 Posts
I often forget what it is like to live in a place where bike theft and crime are common. I used to live in North Long Beach, where car and home burglaries were so common that there was really no safe place to put bike or anything else. Nowadays I live in Japan where if you leave an expensive bike unlocked along a busy street, it will sit there for weeks untouched. The ironic thing is that though there is little crime in Japan, most apartments are very secure, and you would have to be a hell of a thief to get inside.

We moved into a new building a few years ago. To get in, you need to use a sensor key to let you into the lobby. The lobby has 24 hours concierge and security personnel, who keep track of people who come in. Once in the lobby, you need to use your sensor key to enter the elevator hall, and then again to push the button for your floor. You cannot get access to any floor unless you have a key for that floor. Cameras record every person who enters or leaves every moment they are in the building. Once you get to your floor, you have to unlock your door. These doors are steel (with a dark wood finish on the outside). There are two Miwa locks, the sensor key is a medical-lock design, which makes it pick-proof. The latches for the lock extend into the steel door frame, and then secondary latches move upward into the frame on top and on the bottom of the door, like the latch pins to a good safe. A sensor at the top of the door keeps a record of every time the door is opened and closed.

One could try to climb up the outside of the building to get to our 40th floor apartment, but that would be a feat worth seeing.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 05-07-21, 10:10 AM
CaptainMay

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I never leave my bike and all my kids ' scooters outside the apartment. Previously, we lived in an apartment in which there was a common corridor that was locked. Then I could afford to leave my bikes outside the apartment door, but now we have moved and we no longer have such a common corridor with a lock, so I leave everything in the apartment. But now we are thinking of buying a garage to leave everything there because it takes up a lot of space. And then we want to put an Ajax security system in the garage because we don't trust anyone.
Old 09-08-21, 07:40 PM
Lucillle
Lucille

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
Interested to see if the OP is a one and doner.
I am happy to be able to reply, I have been quite ill as of late but am struggling to start riding again. I appreciate those who left thoughtful answers to my question.
Old 09-08-21, 11:28 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
The only time I lock up my bikes is when they're inside my house.
Old 09-09-21, 05:21 AM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
One could try to climb up the outside of the building to get to our 40th floor apartment, but that would be a feat worth seeing.
the crackheads in DC would find a way.
Old 09-09-21, 07:10 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Don't live in an apartment, but if I did, I would.
Old 09-09-21, 07:15 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
bikes are in the garage with garage door locked, but the bikes themselves are not locked up

if ppl are entering your house and stealing bikes, personally I would move
Old 09-09-21, 10:07 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
We live in a multi-unit building, the bikes stay in the (shared) parking garage in the basement, locked through one of those incredibly heavy ABUS chains which then goes through a kryptonite anti-theft wall anchor.

Someone could certainly wait nearby with an angle grinder and a spare battery, sneak in behind a neighbor’s car, wait for said neighbor to leave and go to town with the angle grinder, hoping that nobody else comes in or out in whatever smallish amount of time it takes. They’d also be on camera.

That someone would get a bike or two and I’d have to file an insurance claim, which would be a huge bummer. But nothing in life is completely risk free!
Likes For mschwett:
Old 09-09-21, 10:25 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
bikes are in the garage with garage door locked, but the bikes themselves are not locked up

if ppl are entering your house and stealing bikes, personally I would move
In my case, we forgot to lock the front door. Otherwise, it would not have been an issue. Only incident in over 16 years. The upside is that I can walk, take the bus or ride to work easily as well as shop, go out for dinner, etc. I am also close to a huge park complex and can ride out of the city with ease. The car I brought home at the beginning of July, 2016 just went over 13,000 miles last week.
Old 09-10-21, 07:02 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 242 Posts
My apartment is too small to keep my bikes inside.

I keep them both outside in hallway beside the elevators, and they're both locked up there. Been living in this building for 7 years now without any issues.
Old 09-10-21, 08:16 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
I presume you are asking about public areas? Mine were always stored in private areas (e.g., my living room or a spare bedroom), not in community areas.

Most apartment complexes I have ever lived frowned on bike storage in public areas, make sure you know the rules.
I once had my bike, and the bikes of a lot of other people in the complex, stolen from the lock-up underground garage. The key-card gate on the garage had broken down and defaulted to open, and the thieves drove in in (presumably) a van, cut all the locks, and made off with 20-30 bikes.

After that, I kept my (replacement) bike locked in the stairwell next to my apartment, and told the building staff to shove it and provide a secure lockup whenever they told me I wasn't allowed keep my bike inside the building. I moved out a couple of months later for unrelated reasons.

I believe there is an above-ground, secure bike lockup, separate to the car parking, at that complex now, but they were lucky enough to have the space to offer the option.
Old 09-10-21, 08:22 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
In my case, we forgot to lock the front door. Otherwise, it would not have been an issue. Only incident in over 16 years. The upside is that I can walk, take the bus or ride to work easily as well as shop, go out for dinner, etc. I am also close to a huge park complex and can ride out of the city with ease. The car I brought home at the beginning of July, 2016 just went over 13,000 miles last week.
so no incidents until one day the door was left unlocked, and on that day something was stolen? Scary to think that ppl are checking those doors
Old 09-10-21, 08:45 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
so no incidents until one day the door was left unlocked, and on that day something was stolen? Scary to think that ppl are checking those doors
Yep. It was a week before Christmas in the big city. My father practiced criminal defense his entire legal career. Business always picked up greatly around Christmas.

Lost my irreplaceable custom Robert Beckman racks, along with the Surly LHT they were attached to, and my flip phone. Guy left behind the two custom IFs. The brazen part was that we were home and awake in the bedroom watching the late news.
Old 09-10-21, 09:15 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,472 Posts
managment/

even if you trust them having the door key still lock it-why make it easy for a thief? I lock them in the house with doors dead bolted when out.a friend had his Waterford stolen when landlord allowed a worker inside.zero recourse.have renters insurance???