Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Irrational Mom Confrontatation

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-17, 09:39 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts

Was motivated by the "angry dog" thread.

Was riding recently. Getting close to home on a 1 hour or so ride. I live in a rural area, but near a school, so at "rush hour" there is a four way stop that backs up. For some reason, the police were there, directing traffic. Thanks, guys! Anyway, to get home, I had to go up a small hill and stop at the stop sign. I did, and instead of trying to fly by on the shoulder, I waited in line. Only three cars, no big delay. When I got to the stop, I asked the officer "Ok to go?" and he said "Sure, and thanks for your riding safely". Cool! The good karma was not to last!

Turned into my subdivision. About a quarter mile downhill to a three way stop. Halfway down, a Mom had stopped her SUV in the middle of her lane, and her kids were stopped in the oncoming lane. I slowed, and waited for her kids to get out of the way so I could pass her on the left. The kids cleared her SUV and were to my left (they were going the opposite direction). The SUV had not started to move, so I started to pass. As I did so, Mom started her SUV but was a bit erratic in her driving. Starting, turning left a bit, then right, then slowing. I couldn't gage what she was doing, so I maintained speed and cleared her as fast as I could. So now I'm in front of her. All of a sudden, she starts blaring the horn, pulls up besides me, opens the window, gives me the universal single finger salute of friendship, and says "Those were my f*****g kids, you a$$***e!". Her exact words. I said "I waited for them to pass, they weren't in danger, and you are driving like and idiot". I think that this was pretty close to my words (I didn't use any cursing, that's for sure").

Now, I don't think her kids should be described as "f*****g kids". They aren't, to the best of my knowledge. If they are, that Mom should be arrested, because that's illegal and immoral. In fact, I think that the kids were nice. Nicer than some folks on the road that day. Heck, they were riding bikes - you can't get nicer than that.

In retrospect, I think I should have stopped and talked her down, explaining that at no point had I (or would I) put her kids in danger, and that her stopping in the middle of the street, and then restarting without signalling, and then using her SUV to intimidate and threaten me, were all pretty unsafe.

Would you guys have stopped, or ridden on?
Old 05-10-17, 09:51 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
You should not have stopped and tried to talk her down. There's very little for you to gain that way, and when an irrational person is exploding at you with anger, behind the wheel of an SUV while you're on a bike, it's not a good time to push the issue. Every now and then it backfires, and you don't want to be a statistic.
Old 05-10-17, 09:55 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
probably should not stop, but I think I would have
Old 05-10-17, 09:57 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
a Mom had stopped her SUV in the middle of her lane
I hate to stereotype, but this has all the classic hallmarks of a really big problem (FUV, mom, entitlement).
Old 05-10-17, 09:59 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally, I think you made the mistake by passing a moving vehicle on the left (regardless of how erratic she was driving.) She probably didn't know you were behind her waiting for the kids to pass. She probably thought you just came flying down the road and didn't slow down at all.

You put yourself into a situation where she was going to have to pass you again very shortly. There is only ONE situation where I ever find this acceptable, and that's at a red light/stop sign with a VERY large line of traffic. (Or a bike lane.)

I like to think of drivers as little 3 years olds. You step VERY gently around them as to not piss them off.
Old 05-10-17, 10:09 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
I see absolutely nothing to be gained by engaging people like her. Nothing you say will change her opinions for the better, and more likely will give her more ammunition to support her already formed opinion.

If I respond at all it's usually something neutral like "sorry, you're so upset" and move on.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 05-10-17 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-10-17, 10:10 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
There is no telling what sequence of events could have led to her mental state. You could have been catching the brunt of something her kids just did (or didn't).
Old 05-10-17, 10:11 AM
Tombaatar

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Sequoia, 99 Gary Fisher Aquila, 88 Diamondback Apex, 89 Trek 400, 85 Specialized Rock Hopper, 86 Peugeot Triathlon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
it is often as if their brain does not even register a bicycle.
Old 05-10-17, 10:11 AM
Chief

Bikes: SR, Bianchi, Raleigh, Bertin, Kona, Schwinn, Eisentraut, Zunow, Columbine, Naked, Nishiki, Phillips, Specialized, Giant

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those kinda drivers always get a call to the po-po from me... I describe it to the 911 operator as "impaired driving".
And, no, I don't waste time chatting with the driver.
Old 05-10-17, 10:12 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
The kids cleared her SUV and were to my left (they were going the opposite direction). The SUV had not started to move, so I started to pass.

Every woodsman and hiker knows that you never get between a mother bear and her cubs. It is guaranteed to provoke an attack.

When it comes to protecting her children, a mother is rarely rational.

-Tim-
Old 05-10-17, 10:33 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by FBinNY
I see absolutely nothing to be gained by engaging people like her. Nothing you day will change her opinions for the better, and more likely will give her more ammunition to support her already formed opinion.

If I respond at all it's usually something neutral like "sorry, you're so upset" and move on.
This is the second reply to explicitly say this.

In life you have to choose your battles. You pick the ones you can win, and the ones that are important, that have something in it for you. Confrontations with angry drivers don't usually fall into either category.
Old 05-10-17, 10:36 AM
Fett2oo5

Bikes: '91 Klein Quantum

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, I would have done exactly as you did. Some people are dumb, simple minded, and selfish; and no amount of reason will help them.
Old 05-10-17, 10:36 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Next time, wave and smile.
Old 05-10-17, 10:42 AM
king_boru
The Moose

Bikes: 2016 Giant Roam 2, 2004 Norco Torrent, 1969 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I read a really good book lately called "The subtle art of not giving a f...: A counter intuitive guide to living a better life."

This falls into the category of not giving a f...
Old 05-10-17, 10:58 AM
Seattle Forrest

Old 05-10-17, 11:10 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
You put yourself into a situation where she was going to have to pass you again very shortly.
Not necessarily; he said it was in a residential subdivision, where there are generally lots of side streets and a fair probability that either he or the driver would be turning onto one of them within a block or two.

Fairly often, I go around a driver who's decided to compose an encyclopedia via SMS while sitting at a stop sign and never see them again.
Old 05-10-17, 11:13 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Sounds like you must live around the metropolitan Atlanta area. Worst roads & drivers than just about anywhere else. (Except Puerto Rico maybe). I don't trust any drivers around here. And yes, I'll actually ride my bike up on the sidewalk occasionally.
Old 05-10-17, 11:29 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
Personally, I think you made the mistake by passing a moving vehicle on the left (regardless of how erratic she was driving.) She probably didn't know you were behind her waiting for the kids to pass. She probably thought you just came flying down the road and didn't slow down at all.
This is probably it, she probably didn't even check mirrors before starting to move again, and when she did catch sight of the OP he was going full steam ahead. So she probably ASSumed that he was going full steam towards her kids (F'ing kids? Seriously what kind of mother calls her children that??).

However to be fair, if I'm approaching a vehicle that isn't moving, and still doesn't move as I get even closer, I'm going to go around. I'm not going to stop and wait on the hopes that they might get going someday.
Old 05-10-17, 11:50 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I see a new thread in that: "Recommend Me the Best, Cheapest, Bang For Your Buck Defense Against Alpaca"
Old 05-10-17, 11:54 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
Sounds like you must live around the metropolitan Atlanta area. Worst roads & drivers than just about anywhere else. (Except Puerto Rico maybe). I don't trust any drivers around here. And yes, I'll actually ride my bike up on the sidewalk occasionally.
Atlanta? Come on up to MA sometimes. Drivers? I've seen them ON the sidewalk here. We vie for the bottom of the barrel.
Old 05-10-17, 12:17 PM
luddite_68

Bikes: GT Zum & Fuji Gran Fondo

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by king_boru
I read a really good book lately called "The subtle art of not giving a f...: A counter intuitive guide to living a better life."

This falls into the category of not giving a f...
I read the book and you are correct. Nothing to do but put your head down and ignore her or smile and wave.
Old 05-10-17, 12:27 PM
Hardrock23

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I would have completely ignored her. There is no speaking with someone who is acting that way. They aren't going to hear anything you say.
Old 05-10-17, 02:01 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Next time, wave and smile.
Yep, my preferred method of dealing with the odd situations these days!

Absolutely no way logical conversations are taking place in such a scenario, no point in concerning yourself with trying to calm her down.
Old 05-10-17, 02:09 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
If someone arrives at a position, not having employed rational thought, a rational argument will not change their mind.
Old 05-10-17, 02:25 PM

Bikes: 2017 Nishiki Maricopa.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
You could've said."Shame on you! What kind of careless mother lets her kids off in the middle of the street? I'm calling the police to report your negligence! I have it all on video."

Because ya know, It would be funny to watch her head explode.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.