Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

SOMEC vs. DeRosa

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.
View Poll Results: Which Classic?
Early 80s SOMEC
56.86%
Early 80s DeRosa
43.14%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

SOMEC vs. DeRosa

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-20, 02:20 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
Originally Posted by Ungaro
Bottom bracket shot. Emailed pics to SOMEC - they have lost early serial # records, but say that this is early 1980s (I figured that out too) made of SL and Air tubing.

Hi there! Congratulations on the bike, enjoy every minute of it. You joined a somewhat small club and the bike is really nice. Yeah unfortunately Somec has no clue records about their early bikes. I've seen on forums when someone asked them like you so they went to the back and asked the guy who made these back then... We dont have to go to Giant to see that such is impossible these days. I guess by Bianchi or Colnago also couldnt do it anymore.
Oh and a friendly advise ride instead of cheking for more info on Somec... I gave the plague to a friend who just swore not to buy more bikes. So he ended up with 2 (almost 4 but it didnt epend on him just on a dishonest seller) more.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 11-17-20, 05:53 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4681 Post(s)
Liked 5,799 Times in 2,284 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
You hate Dentists!
Cancel Culture: you!
Old 11-18-20, 01:53 PM
steve sumner

Bikes: '68 Masi Special road, Grail bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 58 Posts
in the 70s Eddy thought DeRosa was the only maker whos work was up to Masi standards and could
supply the amount that he needed.he also chose DeRosa to help set up his factory. can't get a better
recomendation than that! I don't know anything about later decades.
Old 11-18-20, 05:32 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,526 Times in 1,056 Posts
Originally Posted by steve sumner
in the 70s Eddy thought DeRosa was the only maker whos work was up to Masi standards and could
supply the amount that he needed.he also chose DeRosa to help set up his factory. can't get a better
recomendation than that! I don't know anything about later decades.
Well, Eddy was more than happy to let Ernesto Colnago build his Hour Record bike and plenty of other bikes before that. (Eddy's bikes came from a number of builders.) Eddy let the Windsor folks slap stickers on it just before that famous high-altitude ride in Mexico City, which is kind of like Ferrari making you a special one-off supercar and letting someone put Corvette stickers on it. The resulting photos featured prominently in Windsor ads for several years thereafter, pissing off Colnago no end. That is at least part of the reason Eddy went with De Rosa after that.
[/pedantic history statement]