Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How fast do you ride?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How fast do you ride?

Old 01-17-21, 10:55 PM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Bikes: '74 Falcon San Remo, '80 SR Semi Pro, '88 Trek 360, '18 Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Howdy, Liberty.
Hi Victor! Thanks for the help the other day! 🙏
Likes For LibertyFLS:
Old 01-18-21, 11:50 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Simple answer. As fast as I feel like it at any given time.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 01-19-21, 08:36 PM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Speed is relative. On my heavy 'all-purpose' bike (Ti CX with 28mm road tires) I might average 15.5 mph on a solo 50 mile, 4000kft climbing day. On my race bike; same ride maybe 17-18 mph solo if motivated. In a fast group, whatever the group averages; 21+ mph, assuming I'm on form.
However, I haven't ridden with anyone in about a year (stupid pandemic), so my fitness is down and my weight is up. I've got my homework to do if ever getting back to these speeds.
Likes For IronM:
Old 02-02-21, 02:41 PM
tilsover

Bikes: 2019 KHS 1000; 1990 (or so) Trek 930

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 28 Posts
I often ride too fast downhill, seldom fast enough uphill. Last time my tires came off the ground I was putting my bike in the truck. Good riding!
Old 02-04-21, 09:57 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
I’ll turn 60 in just a couple of weeks. I’ve been riding road bikes since I was in my early 20s. These days I’m lucky to average 14-15mph on my usual 20-50 mile rides. Other than a hand full of triathlons/duathlons every year over the decades, and a mass start road race, or a TT a few times over the years...I’ve never been much of a racer. But just the other day I came upon proof that I once could ride at a pretty good clip. I was looking at my ‘trophy case’ and picked up the 3rd place trophy for a mass start race I participated in while I was in the Navy and stationed in Spain circa 1993. On the bottom I’d written my stats. For the 40k (24.8 miles) race I averaged 24.3mph. The race was actually on the Navy base so there weren’t a ton of riders. Hence no real groups to ride in. As I recall, myself and a friend rode most of the race wheel-to-wheel with no others around us. Sure wish I could achieve speeds like that today.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 02-04-21 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-04-21, 10:18 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,497 Times in 3,009 Posts
12 mph .... average. Hills, descents and flats. On a gravel bike.
Old 02-22-21, 06:51 PM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Of course NASCAR drivers put out effort but it's not the same as a pro cyclist or a downhill skier. I have seen a NASCAR driver being lifted out of the car due to exhaustion. When a downhill skier is tucked they are still absorbing the terrain and aren't resting.

And I would have to see evidence that a cyclist went 75 mph. I'm not saying it's impossible but it might be, especially in a turn. And whatever effort a cyclist puts out to coast is dwarfed by their climbing effort. Maybe a little strenuous for those that sit on the top tube.

I read an article by road racing great Kenny Roberts and he said the hard part of racing Moto GP was staying at attention constantly throughout the race. Not an aerobic effort or a strength thing but super high attention and perfection of movement and reaction wears you out.

I also read that Supercross riders typically have their heart rate north of 175 bpm during the race and they rest while in the air over jumps, the only rest they get.

From TDF:
Katusha-Alpecin’s Nils Politt – a top-five finisher at Paris-Roubaix and the Tour of Flanders this year – became the first rider to break the 100kph barrier according to the Tour’s official data feed, hitting a mind-boggling 101.5kph on a section of the descent with a negative 7 percent gradient.

Excellent Post!!!

As a former motorcyclist it was well known to my group of riding friends that concentration was a huge factor regarding whether you had a great ride or you didn't. Growing up in Wisconsin, we had incredible hidden back roads to almost anywhere. You just had to know where to find them. How to connect some of them. It wasn't always about speed but it was always about concentration. I suppose having a large and active deer population also heightened our senses. ( had a few of my riding buddies cream deer back in the day. Very resilient animals, by the way)

Then I got into Vespas. Old and modern. Quite the trick to go "fast" on ten inch tires. Sixty plus mph on my old LX150. We all did it and thought nothing of it. I swear, scooters are far more fun than any big bike I've ever ridden. But the death wobble at a scooter's top speed next to a semi on a country four lane divided? I don't intend to have that experience again.

I wish I could say I'd ridden some of the speeds quoted in this thread but I don' have a speedometer of any kind. All I know is I ride what feels safe to me. Probably slower than most. And I'm pleased to read you folks feeling the liberty to seek out your own limits and relate those stories here. It's what it's all about.
Likes For shrtdstncrdr:
Old 02-23-21, 06:11 AM
fishboy316

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Cannondale AL1 Lefty MTB, Trek X01, Trek Farley 7,1951 Raleigh Sport, 57&60 Raleigh Tourist, 70 Raleigh Super Course, 80's Soma Prestiege,72 Raleigh Grand Sports, 85 Club Fuji, 76 Raleigh Competition, 85 Panasonic,70's Peugot u08. & more

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Am not sure how fast fast is.... I like fast! I love fast! But alas fast can be painful. Meh... still chasing fast. Bought a 21 Trek Fuel EX 9.8 and it is really fast to me. Have gone down on it and it hurt but did get up and finish the ride. Fast is as fast as I can manage. I like fast on the road also but MTB is the first love. When feeling fast for the road I pull out the Cervelo S5. She is fast and handles like she is on rails.
Yes I love fast!
Likes For fishboy316:
Old 02-23-21, 11:39 AM
y0x8
Ups!

Bikes: SE, Polo&Bike, Forward Indie, New Fixed Gear

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
12 mph .... average. Hills, descents and flats. On a gravel bike.
I'm the same way.
Only I'm not on a grevel bike, but on a fixed gear.
12 miles per hour .... on average.
25 miles an hour maximum for fixed gear.
I hit the wall and can't break through it any further.
That's my limit on the fixed gear and my cadence is 120 rpm on the 28-inch wheel.

Last edited by y0x8; 02-23-21 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-01-21, 11:46 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,424 Times in 2,825 Posts
Originally Posted by fastcarbon
I did things like you did: raced high performance sports cars, motorcycles, snow skis, ,ice speed skating, running, MTB and road bikes. My fastest was 62 mph on the Markleville Death ride on Monitor Pass several years ago. Normally my averages on group rides is usually under 18 mph due to the fact you are usually climbing or descending in Orange county.
Parallel lives. GS and slalom ski racing, running, driving my sports cars on the track, MTB, road bikes and a personal best on a road bike at 62 MPH. I’ve got the need, the need for.... adrenaline

Old 03-02-21, 01:31 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
I guess I've ended up in the emergency room twice, from downhill speed that exceeded my ability to negotiate curves. One just a concussion, more recently a brocken neck.

These days i usually limit max speed to 40mph, and I'm more cautious with curves. Can't beat downhill twisties for fun though.

To think i did a fast twisty night descent a couple years ago, using my gps screen to see the approaching hairpins. Actually i had two gps units, one zoomed in for the next twistie and the other zoomed out. Yeah I wouldn't do that now. Or at least i think i wouldn't...
Old 03-02-21, 04:26 AM
Dirk de Chablis

Bikes: A red one, a white one, a white and red one and a silver one

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
The older I get the harder the ground becomes, in my teens I was invincible and bounced, in my twenties I didn't care and chicks dig scars, in my thirties (and after two broken backs) I became a bit more cautious, in my forties I became allergic to falling off and now in my fifties the only thing I fall off is the wagon. I've maxed out on the road at 73mph towards the bottom of the Stelvio and on the MTB I bottled it at 66mph in the French Alps at Le Gets.
Likes For Dirk de Chablis:
Old 03-04-21, 10:29 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
At the age of 60, my round trip rides (6-9 miles both ways) are consistently averaging 12-13 mph (with a relatively large hill now). On the commute with the aforementioned hill, it is up to 35 mph down, and 4 mph up. Trading the relatively flat areas of North Decatur to Clarkston, GA. for the hills of Stone Mountain/Tucker/Lilburn convergence didn't seem to make a difference for my average.
Old 03-04-21, 12:42 PM
BEC111

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Seeing the speeds some of the folks here ride, I don’t understand all the fuss about ebikes with pedal assist up to 20, 25, or 28 mph. I have one and am regularly passed by folks on road bilkes. And that’s mostly on a MUP with pedestrians, skateboarders, children and dog walkers.

From the POV of the slow folks they’re at much greater risk from the roadies than the occasional class 1, 2 or 3 ebike.
Likes For BEC111:
Old 03-04-21, 03:54 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I'm 76 and somewhat fragile. Most of my rides average 8-10 mph which includes a short stop or two. I don't pause the Garmin for the stops. Yesterday hit 29 mph on an urban downhill. Have done 24 mph on dirt roads. That's as fast as I want to go.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 03-06-21, 12:58 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by BEC111
Seeing the speeds some of the folks here ride, I don’t understand all the fuss about ebikes with pedal assist up to 20, 25, or 28 mph. I have one and am regularly passed by folks on road bilkes. And that’s mostly on a MUP with pedestrians, skateboarders, children and dog walkers.

From the POV of the slow folks they’re at much greater risk from the roadies than the occasional class 1, 2 or 3 ebike.
To me it doesn’t matter where the E folks ride but if there is one up the road from me, I will purposely throw on the steam to catch and pass it. Get used to it, count it as affirmation that you are included in the main passion of cycling...to catch and drop the rider up front.
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 03-06-21, 01:19 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
To me it doesn’t matter where the E folks ride but if there is one up the road from me, I will purposely throw on the steam to catch and pass it. Get used to it, count it as affirmation that you are included in the main passion of cycling...to catch and drop the rider up front.
Do you drive your car that way? I know plenty of people that always seem to be racing to the front. which is amusing to watch when in Long Island traffic.
Old 03-06-21, 02:15 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
The speeds people are talking about, 50 mph or higher, riders are generally spun out, just coasting in a tuck. Unless you can spin a huge gear and remain aerodynamic you can't pedal above 50 mph.
Probably true. One year I was doing BRAT and had installed a 58T chainring especially for the ride. On the last day, I was coasting down a moderately large but not particularly steep hill and noted that my speed had topped out at 49 mph. "That's not going to do..." I thought, and spun up high gear to 51 mph. That was a lot of effort for only 2 mph... but worth it!
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 03-06-21, 06:39 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8185 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,391 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Probably true. One year I was doing BRAT and had installed a 58T chainring especially for the ride. On the last day, I was coasting down a moderately large but not particularly steep hill and noted that my speed had topped out at 49 mph. "That's not going to do..." I thought, and spun up high gear to 51 mph. That was a lot of effort for only 2 mph... but worth it!
Were you on the Lowracer? I'd bet you could get some serious speed on that.
Old 03-06-21, 07:09 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Were you on the Lowracer? I'd bet you could get some serious speed on that.
Yes, I was on my Baron lowracer, which is not as low or as aero as my avatar bike.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 03-07-21, 03:27 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Originally Posted by GlennR
Do you drive your car that way? I know plenty of people that always seem to be racing to the front. which is amusing to watch when in Long Island traffic.
My Hemi truck?? 🤣
Old 03-07-21, 03:39 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
My Hemi truck?? 🤣
Better to be fast... than look fast.

I'll wait for you at the next stop light
Likes For GlennR:
Old 03-07-21, 03:45 PM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by GlennR
Better to be fast... than look fast.

I'll wait for you at the next stop light
Game on

Nice bug!
Old 03-12-21, 12:16 AM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Bikes: '74 Falcon San Remo, '80 SR Semi Pro, '88 Trek 360, '18 Fairdale Goodship

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis

Trying to go fast on the uphill is the real challenge.
I try to pass people as much as possible going uphill. I still love going fast down though but I also don't ever look, I don't know how fast I went till I get home and look.
Likes For LibertyFLS:
Old 03-12-21, 10:25 AM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
According to Strava from recent rides, I consistently average 10 mph on mostly gravel with plenty of hills on a Surly Cross Check.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.