Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

I would like to encourage the fat challenged to lose weight

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

I would like to encourage the fat challenged to lose weight

Old 04-14-21, 02:03 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I'll be one to post that I do in fact touch fast food.
I dont have it nearly as often as many, but I clearly have it more frequently than some in this thread.

Im busy + it's convenient = I get it from time to time.
Same for gas station food, though the 3 main chains around me all have kitchens and prepare in the store so it's not like a day old hot dog.

If my daily caloric allowance is 2300 and I consume 1000 calories at a fast food spot, then assuming I do not movement that day I have 1300 left for breakfast, dinner, and snacks.

To a very large degree, weight loss and management is all just calories in vs calories out.
Obviously there is more to proper nutrition than just calories(lime vitamins, minerals, etc) and overall you want to make sure those are balanced.
Eating chik fil a now and then won't unbalance you.
I also consume fast food, likely once every couple of weeks or so. And potato chips (my after dinner snack). And I usually have 5-6 drinks a week.

Most things aren't as bad as people think. It's when its taken to an extreme that you have problems. A friend of mine who used to be obese used to have a large pizza every night. He didn't even have to order it. The store would have it ready for him every night. There's a world of difference between that an McDonald's once or twice a month.

My diet is not optimal, but it's good enough for me. I'm happy with the balance I have.
Old 04-14-21, 02:06 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
So far, researchers have identified over 50 genes which are associated with obesity, and they are learning more all the time about other physiological factors. .
Right, CI/CO is easy for the people it's easy for.

When you consider the wide variation there's been between societies as to how much and what type of foods were available, is there any doubt that we'd have genes that were programming very different strategies of storing/using fat and expending energy? Someone whose ancestors had to survive in a northern Scandinavian climate is not likely to have the same metabolism as someone whose ancestors were from Italy. And let's not even get started on epigenetics. What your grandmother ate when she was pregnant with your mother may have a direct effect on your percentage of body fat.
Old 04-14-21, 02:11 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by OBoile
Don't get me wrong. 33 lbs in a year is great. But not if you're eating one meal every other day to do it. That's like going to "Biggest Loser" extremes but without the extreme weight loss.

I wouldn't do it, but I'm not going to judge whether the steady slow weight loss that OP is describing isn't optimum for them.

I'm still not quite clear how long they've been on one meal every other day plan, btw. I don't think it's even clear whether this person is actually doing that--there's an "if you want" clause to that plan that makes me think this is just advice from someone who isn't actually doing it.

Last edited by livedarklions; 04-14-21 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-14-21, 02:13 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 15,419 Times in 7,285 Posts

Same for gas station food, though the 3 main chains around me all have kitchens and prepare in the store so it's not like a day old hot dog.
The first time I can recall seeing that was during a non-cooking tour in SD. Think it was a Sinclair station. The two “regular” restaurants in town were not open for dinner on Sundays, so I ordered dinner at the gas station. Got mine to go, but the place had some tables inside. Everything was made to order. Actually wasn’t half bad. Even got a decent salad. Guess being on a U.S. Highway with no interstate or much of anything else around is the reason for the gas station restaurant.
Old 04-14-21, 02:18 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
A recent thought I had to simplify the 'you do best for you' and 'sustainable' was to ask yourself the question: "can I do what I'm doing during this diet every day for the rest of my life". Not like, ride 100 miles today but zero tomorrow............like mentally average it out. If you give up 100% desert, beer, wine, everything of indulgence........if you exercise 6 days a week for an hour or more.................can you? Every day the rest of your life?

Like that, for drinking, the yearly Dryuary stuff didn't work out. It was just a binge at the holiday time, abstinence following, then another binge. So instead I decided to try having two days per week I could drink some wine. Works well. It's a short enough time period going without I don't mind at all. Sometimes I even skip my two days, or skip one of the days and go "no thanks".

Just as an example.

I just think most diet stuff needs fast results to make a sale. Nobody wants to hear "you're going to lose a 1/2 pound a week for 4 years" versus "you're DONE in 3 months".

Just a recent thought.
Old 04-14-21, 02:34 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10929 Post(s)
Liked 7,434 Times in 4,163 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
The first time I can recall seeing that was during a non-cooking tour in SD. Think it was a Sinclair station. The two “regular” restaurants in town were not open for dinner on Sundays, so I ordered dinner at the gas station. Got mine to go, but the place had some tables inside. Everything was made to order. Actually wasn’t half bad. Even got a decent salad. Guess being on a U.S. Highway with no interstate or much of anything else around is the reason for the gas station restaurant.
Yeah, one of the large gas stations around here is Casey's General Store and they are actually the 5th largest Pizza chain in the US too. Petrol Pizza! Casey's added a fresh salad or sandwich area and its identical to Subway's process. Same deal with Kum&Go with is also huge around here.
Its a big difference from gas stations in the Chicagoland area where I grew up which had a bagged burrito you could warm up or a hot dog that had been on the rollers for so long it looked like beef jerky.
Old 04-14-21, 02:49 PM
indyfabz

Its a big difference from gas stations in the Chicagoland area where I grew up which had a bagged burrito you could warm up or a hot dog that had been on the rollers for so long it looked like beef jerky.
In college I worked at a movie theater. At the end of the night, if the hot dogs still looked semi-passable, they were put in the freezer and put back on the rollers the next day.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-14-21, 03:08 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
I lost 50 pounds in 6 months eating a balanced diet, no fads, no short cuts, and riding my bike 400 miles per month.
Also great, and likely far more healthy than the extreme diet proposed in the OP.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 04-14-21, 04:01 PM
burritos

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts
When Covid hit last year I started biking to work 3-4 times a week(20 mi round trip). I also dry fast 20 hrs/day when I do this. 4000 mi for me this year. My weight went from 129'ish-->130'ish. I think I gained leg muscle. They look bigger to me. Good fortune to all who are trying to trend to their optimal weight. If you want to delve into the controversy about biking fasted, no need to look any farther than:
https://www.bikeforums.net/training-...ting-safe.html
Old 04-14-21, 04:08 PM
indyfabz

Old 04-14-21, 04:31 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,894 Posts
if i want to determine if my diet is healthy, I'll look at my poop. crappy to analyze the stool, but if you're "out put" isn't normal, your doctor will have some crap to tell ya.
Old 04-14-21, 04:48 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,674 Times in 2,502 Posts
Hate to follow that last post with a moderator's note, but I deleted a couple of posts that were about the OP and other bikeforums members. Generally speaking, this is not allowed, particularly if you are insulting them.

The amateur moderators on this site cause more problems than anyone. Just scroll on by.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 04-14-21, 07:34 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,439 Posts
Moved to Training and Nutrition.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 04-15-21, 12:35 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I lost 50 pounds in 6 months eating a balanced diet, no fads, no short cuts, and riding my bike 400 miles per month.

I'm no math genius, but that's a steady 2 pounds a week, I'd say that's working well!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-15-21, 12:36 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by unterhausen
The amateur moderators on this site cause more problems than anyone. Just scroll on by.

Did you all go pro?
Old 04-15-21, 01:11 PM
ggpepper

Bikes: Traitor & Nashbar

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 36 Posts
K.I.S.S. sorta haiku....
Eat FOOD
Not too much
Mostly plants
Of course, how one defines FOOD is key. For me food = minimally processed things that grows from, walks on or swims around our planet.
Old 04-15-21, 09:07 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked 1,394 Times in 892 Posts
I'm just coming on here because I keep hearing the echoing of "WHERE ARE THE MOD's"
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 04-16-21, 05:35 PM
Anatolia
Lonesome Loser

Bikes: Junk with two wheels

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I have too. That's my plan. And in the process I'm getting a shiny new toy. Seems like a win.
Old 04-19-21, 11:57 AM
relrrt

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Yup. Starvation should only be attempted under close medical supervision or for political purposes.
Old 04-20-21, 04:35 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
What is "fat challenged"? Fat but like "vertically challenged"?
Old 04-20-21, 02:01 PM
SCTinkering

Bikes: 2020 T-Lab X-3 w/GRX Di2, 2018 Trek FX-5S with GRX/Xt 1x drive train

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Every person is different. What works for one, doesn't work for all. What it really boils down to is a level of calorie restriction in some way shape or form.
Likes For SCTinkering:
Old 04-20-21, 06:14 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 1,921 Times in 1,370 Posts
If one can do it, weight loss obviously requires some sort of calorie restriction. That's not really the issue for many people. The issue is food addiction, which is a totally ordinary addiction. It's one of the most difficult addictions to deal with, worse than even cigarettes. which is more difficult than heroin. I know people who've fought it their whole lives and lost every battle. I have great sympathy for them. Weight loss is easy for me, easy for most of us or we wouldn't be here.

How to break the addiction for good would be a good topic, the exact method of CO/CI not so much unless it bore upon the basic issue.
Old 04-22-21, 02:53 AM
ropetwitch

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by cj3209
"Yup. Starvation should only be attempted under close medical supervision or for political purposes."

Agreed. Although Intermittent Fasting does work and is relatively safe as you are basically only skipping breakfast.

Cheers!
I'm currently doing intermittent fasting, 16:8. But, its quite hard and I always fall between 14:12 (12 hours window eating). Do you think its okay to maintain 14:12.
Please take note that I'm not eliminating any foods, just minimizing taking them.
Old 04-22-21, 03:21 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
I found skipping breakfast to be useless and fasting to be useless as well. Actually, the opposite of useless. Eating breakfast (or a brunch at work) meant I had enough energy and had digested my food such that I could work out in the afternoon and then eat dinner and maybe a snack of a few hundred calories a few hours before bed.
Old 04-23-21, 04:50 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 221 Posts
I started losing weight when I started eating more (often). As in I would often skip lunch and be famished at dinner time. Then I'd overeat at dinner and the cycle of not really losing weight was ready. I did stay at a stable (albeit slightly too high) weight for years though. So trying to lose weight was difficult.

With some changes in our daily routine and the wife staying at home all day every day forced me to eat lunch. I'd force myself to eat something even when I really did not have an apetite. That in turn would suppress my apetite at dinner so the small something at lunch lead to only small something at dinner at well. Smaller portions, no seconds etc. It seems that caused a net calorie loss which has been lowering my weight slowly but surely for the last ten months or so.

It's nice because I can eat whatever I want. But I want to eat is small portions of stuff some would consider healthy. Heavier foods like steaks and burgers have to a large extent lost their luster for me. Sometimes they're nice but they really are a rare treat. And even then I prefer them in a michelin star setting with multiple other main courses (I can't afford that stuff myself but it's nice having a boss who likes taking the workforce out to eat once a year)
Likes For elcruxio:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.