Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Rear rack mounting points: Yes or no?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 05-01-21, 04:26 AM
Radler_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm planing a 1500 miles (~50 days) trip for spring 2022 and have to make a decision on which gravel to buy. I set a budget limit around $2000 so carbon frames are out of the question. Since it's gonna be a long trip I'd like to have as much storage capacity as possible, which made me think about using a rear rack where to attach two side bags, but I've noticed that not alll manufacturers include mounting points on their gravel frames for this kind of racks.

Reading here and there I found that some people claim that, since gravels use roadbike-like frames, too much weight hanging on the rack could damage the frame and eventually bend it. However, some manufacturers do include mounting points although I could not find any info on recommended weight limit. In case I can not use a read rack I'd have to use one of those seat post backpacks, which have lower capacity and are not that comfortable to use.

Has any of you had bad experiences after using racks on gravel bikes? Would you recommend against them?

Thank you in advance.
Old 05-01-21, 07:22 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by Radler_
I'm planing a 1500 miles (~50 days) trip for spring 2022 and have to make a decision on which gravel to buy. I set a budget limit around $2000 so carbon frames are out of the question. Since it's gonna be a long trip I'd like to have as much storage capacity as possible, which made me think about using a rear rack where to attach two side bags, but I've noticed that not alll manufacturers include mounting points on their gravel frames for this kind of racks.

Reading here and there I found that some people claim that, since gravels use roadbike-like frames, too much weight hanging on the rack could damage the frame and eventually bend it. However, some manufacturers do include mounting points although I could not find any info on recommended weight limit. In case I can not use a read rack I'd have to use one of those seat post backpacks, which have lower capacity and are not that comfortable to use.

Has any of you had bad experiences after using racks on gravel bikes? Would you recommend against them?

Thank you in advance.
You should probably buy a touring bike. There are some good ones within your budget.
Old 05-01-21, 03:50 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Have a look at Surly Straggler or Midnight Special. These are stout steel bikes that would handle everything you are talking about. Also look at the the sister brand of Surly All City bikes, they have at least five that would work well. The Space Horse GRX is just one I would look at but there are others.

Personally I wouldn't recommend touring bikes, tire clearance can be an issue if you truly want a gravel bike.

The other route you could go is touring without a rack. Bag manufactures have come a long way of fitting bags to bikes for the gravel adventure series. So many to choose from. Good luck in your search.
Old 05-01-21, 04:18 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
There are several gravel bikes available with rackmounts and all of the manufacturers spec a weight limit on the racks. Jamis Renegade & Salsa Warbird and I think Giant Revolt. Some require a replacement seat clamp for the upper rack mounts. If you stay within the manufacturer's weight limit then you should be fine as they are pretty conservative (25 - 30 pounds typically on rear). If you want to really load up you will have to shift packing weight to other places like front fork, handlebars, frame bag and seat bag. You will want to get your total carry weight down as much as possible, like 35 pounds or so max which will mean some compromises in what you take. Use locktite when attaching the rack. And you will probably have to slow down a bit on rougher roads as a little precaution.

Where are you traveling?

Good luck.
Old 05-01-21, 05:41 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
There are several gravel bikes available with rackmounts and all of the manufacturers spec a weight limit on the racks. Jamis Renegade & Salsa Warbird and I think Giant Revolt. Some require a replacement seat clamp for the upper rack mounts. If you stay within the manufacturer's weight limit then you should be fine as they are pretty conservative (25 - 30 pounds typically on rear). If you want to really load up you will have to shift packing weight to other places like front fork, handlebars, frame bag and seat bag. You will want to get your total carry weight down as much as possible, like 35 pounds or so max which will mean some compromises in what you take. Use locktite when attaching the rack. And you will probably have to slow down a bit on rougher roads as a little precaution.

Where are you traveling?

Good luck.
I own a 2015 Jamis Renegade Except, and I can tell you that if the manufacturer says it's rated for "light touring", then you should take that advice and pack for light touring. I know from experience that the bike handling deteriorates when it's overloaded. If there are no fork attachment points, don't attach anything there. If there are attachment points, they might be for fenders but not a rack for Fully Loaded panniers. This applies to the rear triangle as well.

If you want a gravel bike for everyday riding and occasional destination trips hauling your own luggage, consider an ExtraWheel trailer. I've used mine for several trips of 250 to 500 miles, carrying two medium sized panniers and a trunk bag on the trailer, along with a handlebar bag, frame bag and a saddle bag on the bike. It's not lightweight at all, but on some rides I hauled more than a half gallon of water in each pannier, as well as food and sometimes wine. I've had good experience with the trailer and it weighs 12 or so pounds, much less than a Bob trailer. Maybe some day I will learn to go lightweight, but for now, carrying luggage doesn't mean I have to buy a dedicated (and heavy) touring bike. My one gravel bike does almost everything I need.
Old 05-01-21, 09:24 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Ill second second touring bike, as already suggested.
Modern ones can easily fit a 40mm tire if you need something on the wide side for unpaved riding. The Surly Disc Trucker and others can handle a 50mm even too, if you really need some tire width.

If you want a gravel frame, cool- many have mounts for racks so use em and call it good. Just be aware of heel clipping the rear panniers if the chainstays are too short.

The term 'gravel bike' is so wide ranging that it covers everything from relaxed adventure touring to race bike that fits a wide tire.
Old 05-02-21, 05:06 PM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Radler_

Thank you in advance.
- Giant's Revolt Advanced 3 is $2,100. If you can find one, if you have a good reputation with your LBS (who often knock off 10% for regular customers), it would be a carbon frame gravel bike that fits your budget. Giant's web site says the frame has "smart mount system for racks..."

- "side bags" are called panniers. I've used a pair of "Ortlieb Gravel Packs" on a rear rack on my steel gravel bike and they were fine.

- "seat post backpacks" are usually called seat bags or seat packs, and why do you say they are not comfortable to use? There are also "saddle bags" which are of another design altogether. I've used a large (14 liter?) seat pack, as well as a smaller 8 liter seat pack, and i barely noticed them while riding. what does comfort have to do with it?

I've also used my panniers on the rear on a rack, as well as a medium sized seat pack, and strapped stuff on top of the rear rack, all at the same time (as well as stuff in a front harness). I can recommend rear racks and smallish panniers (not the huge touring style sizes popular in the 70s) for gravel rides. I also recommend a seat pack too, and of course both together if needed. it all depends on what conditions you're riding in and what your needs are. And what you are carrying. Wide double-track or dirt roads, panniers are fine. extra windy conditions, panniers should create more wind resistance.

If you'll be riding singletrack, through trees, a seat pack would win. if you'll be pushing a lot, panniers can get in the way. but panniers are also much easier to pack. Smaller seat bags require you to be extra mindful of what you carry and how you pack. It would be most helpful to have modern lightweight compressible gear with the more modern bikepacking bag selections out there.

If you're all about speed, i'd go with bikepacking designs like a seat pack over panniers.

as background, I ride a Norco Search XR steel gravel bike which has the mounts for a rear rack. I also ride a steel Surly ECR "dirt touring/expedition" bike, which has mounts for everything under the sun lol.

eric/fresno, ca.

Last edited by ericzamora; 05-02-21 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-02-21, 05:36 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
If you put too much weight on a bike that wasn't designed for it, the bike can have handling problems. And you don't want too much weight rearward of the rear axle - that too can cause handling issues. A bike with short chainstays generally shouldn't carry full sized loaded panniers because of that.

If you are planning on carrying a load, look for bikes in the "gravel adventure" category not the "gravel race" category. Or consider a traditional touring bike.

Last edited by tyrion; 05-02-21 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-02-21, 11:33 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I think there are a lot more gravel bikes with front rack mounts than rear. If you look at bikepacking sites, you will find that most people carry more weight on the front than the back. There is a trend in that direction for road touring as well, but most tourists have a rear rack and panniers.
Old 05-04-21, 06:02 AM
Radler_

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First of all let me thank you for your useful answers and allow me not to reply to each of you separately to keep it simple.

I have to say that, since this will probably be the only long trip I'll make at least in the short term, I'm positive about getting a gravel instead of a tourer since I appreciate their lightness and aesthetic. Out of this long trip I will be mainly using the bike for single day or weekend routes and packing should not be a problem. After reading your answers and more information of the internet I think I will try to get the job done without panniers, since I also want to keep the total weight low. As I said I plan to travel in late spring May-June, so I should be able to wash clothes everyday. With a big seat bag, another bag on the handlebar and another one or two bags attached to the frame I hope I can fit the all the needed equipment.

Many of the bikes you suggested are made in the US and I'm not sure I could find a dealer in Germany where I live. So far the my favourite option is the Canyon Grail 6 ($1699) since it has the main three aspects I favour; light weight, hydraulic brakes and Shimano GRX group.
Old 05-04-21, 07:40 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Keeping cargo weight low and near hubs is a time-honored method to maintain stable handling characteristics and reduce torsional loading on weaker areas of the bike.

I’ve ridden with both seatpost mounted bags and panniers, and I think pannier mounted riding, especially over rough terrain, is much easier because there’s less range of side-to-side pitching to control.

If you’re traveling super light, that kind of thing may not be important, but it’s also valuable to consider how you pack and use your bags. I find panniers offer more organizational options and easier access; simply being larger bags, they’re easier to dig through and can be less fussy to pack.

Something else to consider is that panniers are usually designed to be easy to remove and carried, so if you’re away from the bike or want to ride the bike unloaded and leave bags at camp or hotel, it’s pretty easy to do so.
Old 05-04-21, 09:57 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
The grail 6 looks like a nice bike, but totally unsuitable for any kind of touring/backpacking. I would keep looking
Old 05-04-21, 10:15 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I have a Soma Saga disc touring bike that takes 55mm x 700c tires. I paid about $450 for the frame and fork. The website makes it look like it was discontinued, but if you can find one, that might be ideal.

Another option to consider is using a trailer.

Also, this is a good information source: https://www.cyclingabout.com

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 05-04-21 at 10:22 AM.