Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Advice with crashed bike!

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-15-21, 12:45 PM
greg1186

Bikes: Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello! I am quite new here, but no stranger to road cycling. My current bike - 2012 Cervelo S2 (SRAM Rival) - I've owned for almost 9 years now. Flawless bike for the weekend warrior I have always been, though I do ride during the weekdays when I can. I have made small changes to the bike since new to fit me perfectly. I love this bike.

I got in my fist solo crash with the bike the other week where the front wheel went out from under me on a path downhill-left when it was slick out. Told myself to slow, which I was, but the path took me as a victim. Before I knew it, I have never slammed so hard before. Rear wheel is bent, and front wheel is just ever so slightly bent. That is the big ticket items that got beat up. My road rash healed and my shoulder and hip are fine now. I have other things I need to replace while I am at it. Bartape from the blood on my hand, seat post has had a tiny crack in it forever and I get constant creaks while riding, and may as well get some fresh tires as well because why not.

I am looking for advice on to piece it back together (new wheels), or invest in a new road bike since mine is almost 10 years old...

What would you do???

As she sits on the rack:

Old 09-15-21, 12:49 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,802 Posts
Any signs of impact on the frame itself?
Likes For himespau:
Old 09-15-21, 12:51 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,849 Times in 6,066 Posts
If a competent LBS has gone over the frame and pronounced it good, I'd just get a new wheelset and seatpost. You'll probably find them easier to find right now than a whole bike. But also, if it was a great bike before the crash, once it's got new wheels and seatpost, it'll still be a great bike.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-15-21, 12:53 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Figure it will cost a bit over $1000 to fix. A new bike similar will.cost over $2500.
Can you afford a new bike?
Likes For GlennR:
Old 09-15-21, 12:53 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,791 Times in 3,305 Posts
If you are certain there is no damage to the frame then either replace the stuff that needs to be replaced or get a new bike. There really is no wrong choice.

After 10 years it might be time to try something new.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-15-21, 01:14 PM
greg1186

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by himespau
Any signs of impact on the frame itself?
Originally Posted by genejockey
If a competent LBS has gone over the frame and pronounced it good,.
Originally Posted by Iride01
If you are certain there is no damage to the frame then either replace the stuff that needs to be replaced or get a new bike.
I rode the bike home 10 miles, and it felt just like it always has. When I got home I did a once over. No signs of fractures/breakage/cracks, not even a single scratch on the bike frame anywhere. My body did take the brunt of the fall, really hard. Then my clips gave way and the bike skidded out from under me. I was only going maybe 15mph which makes me think the impact of my right foot kicking got trapped/kicked the rear wheel so that's why it got bent as it did. Who knows.

Does anyone have any great recommendations for a new set of wheels? I have never bought new wheels before. I can't pretty much get what I want, I just don't want to break the bank and get wheels that are more expensive than the bike
Old 09-15-21, 01:35 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Figure it will cost a bit over $1000 to fix. A new bike similar will.cost over $2500.
Can you afford a new bike?
A new bike, similarly equipped, current MY, if one can be found, will be roughly between $6-7k. I only compared to the current Cervelo S series and roughly equivalent SL7. I'd expect most major brands (Trek, Giant, Cannondale) will also be similarly priced. Canyon might be less.

Fixing/replacing what's damaged will be much more economical, assuming the frame is still rideable. If that's buggered....it's probably new bike time, because the components and wheels today are definite improvements over the stuff from 10 years ago.
Old 09-15-21, 01:37 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,985 Times in 4,452 Posts
Have you tried to true the wheels? What kind of wheels are they? If the rims are damaged you may be able to lace a new rim instead of buying a whole wheel.
Old 09-15-21, 02:05 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 430 Posts
you're gonna need to buy rim brake wheelset... is this your only bike? bent wheels only wheelset?
good wheels aren;t cheap...
Maybe, might be worth getting a new Bike w/disc ? Buy a budget wheelset for the old frame, ride that on the days when weather & conditions aren't the best...
always great to have a backup wheelset and even a backup bike... N+1 LOL !
... just sayin...
going tubeless ?
going carbon?
for alloy rim, I do like HED, ardennes, one of the first to promote the wider rim (HED & ZIPP)... I have a couple older sets, one ardennes and other Kermesse (similar to their heavier duty 'Belgium'), both are light, very fast, and bulletproof - thousands of miles on them and they come back for more...
For Budget wheels, I really like my Shimanos, best , Ultegra grade level (don;t remember the 'model' - I took stickers off). nice
sold my Kysium elites after a few weeks of use... not any better ride than the shimanos and the pawl clicking is annoying loud noise.
no real experience with carbon wheels - I'm considering some carbon wheels (rim) - prolly will check to see what HED has, first... but may ask a few friends if I can try their wheels for a few miles...
Ride On
Yuri
Old 09-15-21, 02:34 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,461 Times in 1,012 Posts
If the frame is undamaged and you like the way it rides, then just think of this as wheel upgrade time. How about these (if you are not into mad descents):

Mavic Ksyrium Pro SL UST Carbon Tubeless 700c Wh | The Pro's Closet (theproscloset.com)
Old 09-15-21, 02:41 PM
greg1186

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by big john
Have you tried to true the wheels? What kind of wheels are they? If the rims are damaged you may be able to lace a new rim instead of buying a whole wheel.
The original wheels: Fulcrum Racing T. I have been saying for years I would like to upgrade the wheels, to try something else maybe lighter/faster. This is my excuse to finally do some 'custom upgrading' ha.
Old 09-15-21, 02:42 PM
greg1186

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclezen
you're gonna need to buy rim brake wheelset... is this your only bike? bent wheels only wheelset?
Yes, it is! I have been careful for 9 years and boom, one fall takes the bike out of commission for the time being.

Thanks for all the advice!
Old 09-15-21, 02:44 PM
greg1186

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
If the frame is undamaged and you like the way it rides, then just think of this as wheel upgrade time. How about these (if you are not into mad descents):

Mavic Ksyrium Pro SL UST Carbon Tubeless 700c Wh | The Pro's Closet (theproscloset.com)

Thanks for the link! I will check them out.
Old 09-15-21, 03:02 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I would much rather have a pair of wheels built on the HED Belium + rims mentioned previously (Ardennes is their pre built wheel) than ride anything from Mavic. I know thousands and thousands of people have ridden them millions of miles but I can't stand the totally proprietary nature of their designs. Or their single bearing freehub. Or their spokes.
Old 09-15-21, 03:44 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,461 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
I would much rather have a pair of wheels built on the HED Belium + rims mentioned previously (Ardennes is their pre built wheel) than ride anything from Mavic. I know thousands and thousands of people have ridden them millions of miles but I can't stand the totally proprietary nature of their designs. Or their single bearing freehub. Or their spokes.
HED wheels are more expensive and use more spokes. I cannot resist the sexy twin temptations of low spoke count and bladed spokes, even though I know they make no aero difference.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 09-15-21 at 08:59 PM.