Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear wheel doesn't go on frame???

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-21, 08:17 PM
canada184

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, I'm new in the cycling world and I need your help fixing a bike. Clearly, the person who had this before made a few mistakes during assembly, as the rear wheel won't fit in the dropouts (the wheel is hanging by the chain and brakes!). For some reason, the website won't allow me to attach pictures. Your help is more than welcome.

Best,

Canada184
Old 04-16-21, 08:48 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Do you have the photos in an IMGUR or someplace you can link to? Might have to break up the link like this:

ht tps://i.imgur.com/2Eq4VG3.jpg
Old 04-16-21, 08:49 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Why won't the axle fit into the drop outs? Are the drop out slots too narrow for the diameter of the axle? Are the dropouts too close together, as in they would have to be spread apart to be as wide apart as the axle is long? Is there some interfering item, like a der hanger not properly positioned? Since we can't see the situation... But maybe you can tell me what color the room I am in is Andy
Old 04-16-21, 08:52 PM
canada184

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Diablo for the suggestion : ht tps://imgur.com/a/WU6ysri
Old 04-16-21, 08:57 PM
canada184

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems to me that the previous owner disassembled it for winter and reassembled it before selling it. To answer the question, I'm not quite sure what I am looking at hahaha. It looks like the frame is too narrow to reach the axle, but I'll let you decide on that as I'm definitely a noob hahaha.
Old 04-16-21, 09:07 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Link help: https://imgur.com/a/WU6ysri Several photos there.

Pic help:

I can't be sure you don't have an incompatible wheel, but the nut in this photo goes on the other side of the dropout. Sort of like this:

Old 04-16-21, 09:10 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Yes, the spacing between the dropouts is too narrow. The left dropout may be bent, as well. Since the frame is steel, this can be repaired, but some tools and skills are needed. You may want to find a local bike shop that can do the work for you. A good home mechanic can do the work with basic tools and some ingenuity in measuring. You really want to get everything aligned and parallel.

It looks like you'll also want a new or salvaged rear quick release skewer. If there's a bike co-op near you, they'll have a bin full of those. They'll also have the tools and skills to help you fix the frame. But most co-ops are closed now, alas.
Old 04-16-21, 09:17 PM
canada184

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The "nut" is actually part of the wheel itself unless you're talking about what is next to the lever.
Old 04-16-21, 09:29 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Your assignment:
  1. Measure the length of the hub axle between the end nuts
  2. Measure the distance between the two rear dropouts
  3. Report the difference to this forum.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 04-16-21, 09:31 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
What does the other side look like? Is the wheel genuinely too wide for the dropouts or is it simply offset to the ND side because, for example, the chain is on a different sprocket than the one the RD was set to when the wheel was pulled? Try clicking the shifter all the way down and installing the wheel with the chain on the smallest sprocket
Old 04-16-21, 09:41 PM
canada184

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oldbobcat I'll get on that tomorrow! Litespud very good question, I know that the chain and the speeds were messed with (my family originally thought the chain was off). The wheel started rubbing against the frame while going uphill. I'm pretty positive that the wheel is fine because all parts are original - although something could've happened to the frame while it was in storage that messed with the dropouts...
Old 04-17-21, 08:16 AM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
Here are pics that canada184 sent me.

Old 04-17-21, 08:35 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by canada184
The "nut" is actually part of the wheel itself unless you're talking about what is next to the lever.
Yes, the nut is part of the wheel but it is in the wrong location. In the picture below, the nut (shown by green arrow) should be inside the dropout (see yellow arrow). The dropout should ride on the stub of axle shown by the red arrow. The nut is a lock nut on for the bearings. I surprised the wheel even roll since there is no lock nut on the cone.

The wheel isn’t “fine”. It is assembled improperly and needs to be put back together correctly. This article from Park will tell you how to service the hub.

The frame may be a separate problem but fix the wheel and see if it fits in the frame first.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-17-21, 10:36 PM
canada184

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all, here’s an update. After checking things out I’ve noticed that the derailleur and the cassette were not the original parts that came with the bike. The cassette has 7 gears while that bike is only supposed to have 6. This shortened the area on the axle that could be put into the dropout, hence why I was unable to figure out how to fix it on my own. I recently put the bike up for sale for parts, since fixing it and bringing in new parts would cost me more than the price I’ve paid for the bike! Thank you all for your help, I’m well aware that this isn’t an ordinary issue!
Old 04-18-21, 06:49 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by canada184
...Thank you all for your help, I’m well aware that this isn’t an ordinary issue!
Actually it's fairly common at the non-profit shop where I volunteer. Our mechanics are trained to spot that. I should have noticed it in your photos.