Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Is this a good frame-set?

Old 08-25-22, 01:27 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
I forgot to post the post-build pic. Ironically, we probably got even pricer (Silca) bar tape:

Light Bikes wheels with I9 hubs, CK headset, Barlow Pass tires, Ultegra/GRX Di2 (785 shifters/brake levers, latest Ultegra flat-mount calipers as the post-mount 785 didn't fit the rear triangle and looked stupid on the front, GRX Di2 derailleurs, 165mm 46/30T GRX crankset -- toe overlap was an issue with the 52cm frame and 172.5mm crank arms). Silca Ti bottle cages. The Deity platform pedals weren't my idea, but at least they match. The purple bit above the stem will get sawed off when I am convinced we have the fit correct.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 08-25-22, 01:38 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Right now this has an aluminum seat post (Origin 8) I swiped from a mountain bike, so I will need to replace it or get a new one for that bike.

Is it an advantage to have a Titanium seat-post, in terms of potential corrosion/galvanic welding? Or carbon?
Old 08-25-22, 02:12 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
Niiice! I like the colors.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-25-22, 05:50 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Right now this has an aluminum seat post (Origin 8) I swiped from a mountain bike, so I will need to replace it or get a new one for that bike.
Is it an advantage to have a Titanium seat-post, in terms of potential corrosion/galvanic welding? Or carbon?
I've been using a RockShox suspension seatpost (along with a Redshift Shockstop stem) on my gravel, and its a very markable difference in hits coming thru. not just comfort, but also allows me to ride a little stronger on really rough sections. You don;t even feel the movement, it just really smooths out the thuds... And they're both 'tunable' for the level of absorption.
But, what I'm getting to is a carbon shock absorbing post... The Rockshox is a sizeable chunk of weight, but it works great ! But still a chunk of weight. (works great on a Hardtail).
I was thinking Redshift Seatpost, but then the Ergon CF3 post also came to mind... This looks like a real contender for both road and gravel...
Here's a BikeRadar test for a number of Carbon absorption seatposts : Five soft-riding road seatposts tested in the lab and on the road
I'm a relatively light rider, so any of then should work fine for me - maybe also your SO ?
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 08-25-22, 08:25 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Thanks. I've got the Redshift stem and seatpost on my touring bike. I guess I could loot those ...

I'm going to take a close look at your link in a moment.
Old 08-25-22, 09:09 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
investigating further - the Ergon CF3 stem is no longer sold - except for stuff which is already out there...
I guess that pushes me to the Ritchey WCS Flex Logic post as a possible... or I stay with my Rockshox ( I have a few of them... )
Haven't yet tried the redshift post, but I have a friend who's offering me his, for a good price. think he's getting a different length...
Ride On
Yuri
Old 08-25-22, 09:25 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

The redshift seatpost is excellent, but quite heavy. My wife also has a Kinekt seatpost, which I think is probably a wee bit better, as well as more expensive and possibly even heavier. It is on an e-bike, where the excess weight is dwarfed by the battery/motor.

The Ergon post is the same as the Canyon one with leaf springs. Both of those are currently back-ordered (according to Canyon's website). The main problem is that it is Di2 battery-incompatible, and I am not able to put her battery in the down tube. The older Canyon one that the review really likes appears to be available still, and for only $90. The Ritche post is available on Amazon, Universal Cycles, Ben's, and Jenson (at least). Amazon has it substantially below list price.

If I go for titanium instead, SageTitanium sells one designed for this frame for $300. It is a bit heavier than carbon, but if the ride is more compliant, that might be a plus. Also, to avoid a shim I need 31.6 mm diameter.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 08-25-22, 10:39 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark

My first ti bike, a TiCycles from the same corner of the cycling world, started with an aluminum post. Just stuck it in with the usual gobs of grease. That post broke (Avocet at the clamp, the post/seattube had zero to do with it.) I replaced it with a custom ti post. Top/clamp would have been aluminum with either post material. I just use the same approach, a healthy gob of grease. My other ti bike with more miles (20,00 and a lot of those in rain) has the same ti post and grease. Every time I pull the post out on either bike (not very often) I see no change in the grease or anything else. I've done a lot of sailing on and offshore on our two coasts. Aluminum corrosion I know very well. I've seen nothing on my ti bikes to suggest its remotely an issue. Now, I do not sweat a lot and the Pacific NW does not use salt on the roads so my bikes have not seen the great catalyst, sodium chloride. Now a properly greased post should have a pretty good water seal at the top of the seat tube so I don't see how even a big sweater could get sweat down into the seat tube. Riding your ti bike in winter salt without fenders could do it. If you do that, report back and tell up which post you chose and what the salt outcome was.
Old 08-25-22, 11:01 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Santa Cruz. We'll be lucky to see any rain in the winter. It only snowed once at my house in 12 years. The only salt is in the sea breeze.