Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Immersive waxing / it should be more popular

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Immersive waxing / it should be more popular

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-22, 10:15 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
Don't you have drivetrains to degrease?
Oh yeah, I do! If by "degrease" you mean wipe down my chain and sprockets with a rag. Thanks for the reminder--my bike is overdue for this critical maintenance. BRB...

Okay, that's done. Now, for ways to spend today's remaining 23 hours and 58 minutes...
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 09-02-22, 01:50 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
I have been riding and doing my own maintenance for decades. When I become dissatisfied with my current process, that doesn't involve taking the chain off, I'll consider waxing.
Old 09-02-22, 02:01 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2238 Post(s)
Liked 3,429 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I have been riding and doing my own maintenance for decades. When I become dissatisfied with my current process, that doesn't involve taking the chain off, I'll consider waxing.
It wasn't until Shimano started using quicklinks with their chains that I started waxing. Before that, it was simply too much of a hassle.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 09-03-22, 11:06 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
JFC people.

Who are you calling people!
Old 09-03-22, 11:06 AM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by genejockey
Bob's my brother*. He's my sons' uncle, thank you very much.

*Also my Dad, my grandfather, my nephew, and my ex-brother-in-law. But not my uncle.
what about your auntie?
Old 09-03-22, 11:09 AM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
No they aren't.
Are too!
Old 09-03-22, 11:30 AM
ls01
he said member

First of all.....Wow!....
ok. If you are having wax flaking off you need to soften the wax. I use parrafin oil , lamp oil. You can use mineral spirits but it evaporates faster than lamp oil when heated. If you watch the Aussie guy, that's what he is doing with the butter knife and his thumb nail. He is testing it to see if it's to hard. You want a consistency that won't crumble. It kinda mooshes out of the way. That way it stays in the rollers and doesn't crumble out of the chain when it's flexed. It's somewhere between solid and liquid. I experimented with adding solids (ptfe etc) and oils. Paraffin is enough. The other things didn't make a difference. In my experience. I've been waxing for 3 or 4 seasons now. I get between 2 and 300 miles between waxing. I rewax when the chain starts to rattle. It's very audible. Wax won't stick to metal if there is oil or grease on it. So it must be removed completely. Then the wax will cling, and stay in the cavities where it needs to be. I get about a year out of a batch of wax, after that it starts to loose its lubricity and doesn't last as long. Plus it's pretty filthy by then anyway. The biggest problem I have with waxing is the quick links. I don't like reusing them.....I do, but I don't like it.
Likes For ls01:
Old 09-03-22, 12:14 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,874 Times in 1,078 Posts
I miss the old whale oil days
Likes For t2p:
Old 09-03-22, 02:06 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
First of all.....Wow!....
ok. If you are having wax flaking off you need to soften the wax. I use parrafin oil , lamp oil. You can use mineral spirits but it evaporates faster than lamp oil when heated. If you watch the Aussie guy, that's what he is doing with the butter knife and his thumb nail. He is testing it to see if it's to hard. You want a consistency that won't crumble. It kinda mooshes out of the way. That way it stays in the rollers and doesn't crumble out of the chain when it's flexed. It's somewhere between solid and liquid. I experimented with adding solids (ptfe etc) and oils. Paraffin is enough. The other things didn't make a difference. In my experience. I've been waxing for 3 or 4 seasons now. I get between 2 and 300 miles between waxing. I rewax when the chain starts to rattle. It's very audible. Wax won't stick to metal if there is oil or grease on it. So it must be removed completely. Then the wax will cling, and stay in the cavities where it needs to be. I get about a year out of a batch of wax, after that it starts to loose its lubricity and doesn't last as long. Plus it's pretty filthy by then anyway. The biggest problem I have with waxing is the quick links. I don't like reusing them.....I do, but I don't like it.
I'm pretty sure you've just repeated the contents of at least 10% of the posts in this thread. I'm also pretty sure everyone knows the process whether they want to or not.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 09-03-22, 11:13 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
I live in an environment where my garage is almost or often above 100 deg for at least 3 mths a year. Will wax solidify enough or will it be pasty?
Old 09-04-22, 12:04 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
I'm pretty sure you've just repeated the contents of at least 10% of the posts in this thread. I'm also pretty sure everyone knows the process whether they want to or not.
a good reason to refrain from posting an answer to any post with more than 5 responses. It's tough for me, but is almost always the right decision.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 09-04-22, 05:11 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
If you are having wax flaking off you need to soften the wax. I use parrafin oil , lamp oil. You can use mineral spirits but it evaporates faster than lamp oil when heated. If you watch the Aussie guy, that's what he is doing with the butter knife and his thumb nail. He is testing it to see if it's to hard. You want a consistency that won't crumble. It kinda mooshes out of the way. That way it stays in the rollers and doesn't crumble out of the chain when it's flexed. It's somewhere between solid and liquid.
How much paraffin oil to add to paraffin wax (weight ratio)?

Originally Posted by robbyville
I live in an environment where my garage is almost or often above 100 deg for at least 3 mths a year. Will wax solidify enough or will it be pasty?
It has stayed solid through every >100 °F SoCal heat wave so far.
Old 09-04-22, 05:13 PM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
How much paraffin oil to add to paraffin wax (weight ratio)?

It has stayed solid through every >100 °F SoCal heat wave so far.
I test with a butter knife. Dip the blade into the molten wax, let it cool to ambient temp. Push into it with your thumb nail in a scrapping motion. I look for a consistency roughly like peanut butter, maybe a bit more to the solid side.

I add a little and tast the results, add a little and test. Save a little unmelted wax in case you go too far.

Last edited by ls01; 09-04-22 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-04-22, 05:21 PM
ls01
he said member

I read 90% of this thread, I might have dozed through some of it, I saw none of the answers include tempering with lamp oil, only mineral spirits. Which I am not a fan of.
. Your not a fan of long threads. I get it, reading is hard.
you know you can just skip to the new part right? You don't have to read the whole thing from start to finish every time.
If you don't want to contribute, then don't. But it is weird to have a forum that's based on communication and then poo poo people who engage with one another.
Old 09-04-22, 05:27 PM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by t2p
I miss the old whale oil days
Too expensive...what with the price of Wales nowadays. Baby seal oil is where it's at! Hard to get hold of though....
Likes For ls01:
Old 09-04-22, 06:33 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I'm pretty sure you've just repeated the contents of at least 10% of the posts in this thread. .
That is what 50% of all people responding to a thread over 1 page are doing.

The other 50% are off-topic. (e.g., your post and my response)
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 09-04-22, 07:35 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Today I had to add more sealant, yet again, to my tubeless tires; the rear one was a bit squishy (12 psi). It got me to thinking that tubeless is a lot more hassle than waxing a chain, and in many cases (like mine) essentially gratuitous.

Yet you don't hear people moaning about how horrible it is, at least the way anti-waxxers cary on here.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 09-04-22, 08:16 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Today I had to add more sealant, yet again, to my tubeless tires; the rear one was a bit squishy (12 psi). It got me to thinking that tubeless is a lot more hassle than waxing a chain, and in many cases (like mine) essentially gratuitous.

Yet you don't hear people moaning about how horrible it is, at least the way anti-waxxers cary on here.
Gee, melodramatic much? I must have missed these people who are “moaning” about how “horrible” it is.

If anyone in this thread is “anti” waxing, I must have missed it. Where are these folks telling waxers they should not be waxing? The only people telling others they are wrong for doing what they are doing are some of the waxing evangelist zealots.

I am sorry if some of you can’t handle people choosing to do things differently than you, and don’t get the concept of making one choice while respecting others’. Just because someone choses to drip lube does not make them “anti” wax any more than preferring chocolate makes one anti-vanilla.

And regarding tubeless vs tubes…. say wut? Tons of people run tubes. And if you started a thread staying how they are all mistaken for doing so, I would expect a similar response.

Last edited by Kapusta; 09-04-22 at 09:01 PM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 09-04-22, 09:32 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

The title merely asks why waxing isn't more popular.

The rest is your spin.
Old 09-04-22, 09:38 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

The title merely asks why waxing isn't more popular.

The rest is your spin.
And people who don’t wax answered why they don’t.

And if you read the actual OP. He seems to imply these people are wrong in their reasoning. And if there is any doubt of this implication, his follow up responses to those answering the very question he asks in the thread title make it very clear.

The only “spin” here is your mischaracterization of those whose choice of chain lube you disapprove of.

Last edited by Kapusta; 09-04-22 at 09:41 PM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 09-04-22, 09:45 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I think they are wrong in their reasoning, too.

There is a vast difference between telling somebody they should do something, and suggesting their reasons for not doing something are ill-founded.

If someone says I don't want to wax because I hate wax, or I don't want to wax because I ride in wet conditions frequently, I doubt anyone would challenge either of those.

If someone says they don't want to wax their chain because of the monumental prep effort, the need for organic solvents, and other such reasons that are stated here, it is fair to point out that their reasons shouldn't really be impediments.

The difference is the implication that they would wax their chains if not for the imagined impediments.
Old 09-04-22, 10:26 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

I think they are wrong in their reasoning, too.

And you don’t hesitate to tell them they they are doing it wrong. Even though they never asked for (or likely give a hoot about) your critique of their reasoning.

This thread was just a big troll. The whole point of it was to ask a question in order to get people to respond so the OP could argue with them.

It was a completely disingenuous question because he was uninterested in the answer.

And apparently the trolling scratched some itches for a few others such as yourself. Invite people to share their reasons so that you can call them “moaning” “anti waxers”

Give me a break.

Last edited by Kapusta; 09-04-22 at 10:40 PM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 09-05-22, 12:15 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

yawn
Old 09-05-22, 01:37 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
This thread was just a big troll. The whole point of it was to ask a question in order to get people to respond so the OP could argue with them.

It was a completely disingenuous question because he was uninterested in the answer.
Yep.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-05-22, 05:48 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.