Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Great Blueberry Pie Challenge - Place And Time To Report

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Great Blueberry Pie Challenge - Place And Time To Report

Old 09-19-06, 08:27 AM
Sandwarrior
Bent Ryder

Bikes: Bachetta Agio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by starship
Don't feel bad, I have worked 12 hour shifts all weekend. I'm doing my ride tomorrow. Although I expect pecan pie, not blueberry.
I had to work Friday through Sunday, 12 hour shifts too. I thought I would be able to manage a short ride Saturday night, but by the time I got home from work, the winds were gusting to 60 mph. So I saved my PIE ride for Monday.

I haven’t figured out yet how to edit my pictures down to the 100 k limit imposed by the forum. Otherwise I would have taken the camera on my ride.

My plan was to do a Century in honor of my Sister-in-Law Pam, who is recovering from her 4th bought with Chemotherapy. My extended family and my Beloved had a “celebrate Pam” day on Sunday, and since I couldn’t be there to celebrate with them, I decided that a century would be a really good way to honor her.

I did a pretty good job of prepping for the trip, but at the last minute added something (and now I can’t for the life of me remember what it was) to my backpack and then forgot to repack my baggy of 12 raspberry fig newtons. I think that made a BIG difference as the end of the ride came along.

I rode down the Highline canal trail, to Cherry Creek North and took my first break at the children’s museum just past REI. I had some serious thoughts about getting my PIE there, but since I was pressed for time, I decided against it. After a 10 minute break, I headed south along the Platte River trail to Chatfield reservoir. 37 miles so far, average speed 17.3 mph. Not bad for me on my new “bent”. The Aspens are turning colors and it was such a beautiful ride. No wind, light cloud cover and the temp was hovering somewhere in the low 60’s. I got buzzed by a Hawk; I guess I spoiled an attack run he was making on a squirrel. I came to within 20 feet of a fox. It had a HUGE tail, bright red with a white tip. I had no mechanical problems on the ride, although I broke the top off of the presta valve on my front tire. When I started out, I thought I might have tire problems along the way, so I brought an extra inner tube just in case. No sweat and no flats. I went through 150 oz of Gatorade, and four protein bars. I missed my fig newtons. Once I got back on the Highline Canal trail for the return ride, my average speed dropped considerably (15.2) It is a hard packed dirt trail, and with the rains last week, wasn’t so “hard”. I had to be home by 4 pm so I could do some recovery, get cleaned up, and go pick up my Granddaughter at 5. I hit Expo Park at 2:45pm, and realized that some how I had managed to miscalculate the distance. I was going to be 20 miles short of my intended century. I thought that if I could maintain 15 mph around the perimeter of the park, I could still get the distance. By the time I hit the 4th lap; I was unable to keep the 15mph average and knew I would have to cut the ride short. I was really beginning to feel the affects of not having those fig newtons. By the time I climbed the last hill to my house, I could barely maintain 9 mph, I was bonking. So I finished the ride, 13.2 miles short of the century. Sorry Pam that I didn’t make it all the way, but it was a great ride none the less. Weather permitting, I will try again on Saturday, and ride the Sand creek trail to get that extra 20 miles in (and I will take the camera).

I celebrated the ride with more of the stroganoff, a piece of blackberry pie, and a Sam Adams (Hefewiesen) beer (the beer came after Dad picked up my Granddaughter).
Old 09-19-06, 09:00 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
You did a metric century+++

Hold your head proud.

15 mph on the Highline is great time!
Old 09-22-06, 08:16 AM
fifty5
wheezer geezer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sandwarrior
I haven’t figured out yet how to edit my pictures down to the 100 k limit imposed by the forum. Otherwise I would have taken the camera on my ride.
You can use Irfanview (freeware) to edit you pictures down to the 100k. Use the resize feature of irfanview and saving as jpg will bring the picture down to the required size.

https://www.irfanview.com/
Old 09-22-06, 08:43 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3939 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 87 Posts
If you're using Windows you can use the free included program MS Paint for basic photo editing. Press the Start button on the windows toolbar, then select Programs>Accessories>Paint. Open the picture in MS Paint, use Image>stretch/skew to resize the picture to about 40% of it's original height and width, then save as a jpeg. If it's still too big, you'll have to learn by trial and error how much to shrink it.
Old 09-23-06, 10:20 AM
Sandwarrior
Bent Ryder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fifty5
You can use Irfanview (freeware) to edit you pictures down to the 100k. Use the resize feature of irfanview and saving as jpg will bring the picture down to the required size.

https://www.irfanview.com/

Thank you for the idea...I just downloaded the program the other day and have started playing with it. Will see how things turn out.
Old 09-23-06, 02:33 PM
fifty5
wheezer geezer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the idea...I just downloaded the program the other day and have started playing with it. Will see how things turn out.
You're welcome.
Old 09-24-06, 01:36 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I can briefly proclaim that Maine is the BLUEBERRY state. Blueberry Pie, muffins, pancake, jelly, syrup - you name it and they blueberry it!

Later
Old 09-24-06, 02:39 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
OK, I am SO tardy with this and I did not ride on the agreed upon date. However today I went on a solo 67 mile ride and when I got home I remembered that we had a BLUEBERRY PIE (well, 2/3rds of a blueberry pie) in the pantry. It is now 1/2 of a blueberry pie.
Old 09-05-07, 04:24 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
And now its time for the 2nd Annual Blueberry Pie Challenge. Sept 15,16, 2007.

Last edited by Artkansas; 09-05-07 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-05-07, 05:59 PM
guybierhaus

Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in, although last year I smashed car on way to event. Maybe I'll stay out of the car for the weekend.
Old 09-05-07, 07:02 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I will be glad to eat pie, any place, any time, anywhere. I will be up in the Adirondaks that weekend - maybe I can get a pic by the Hudson.
Old 09-05-07, 09:50 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm heading to Red Wing, Minnesota that weekend to ride.

Although I must admit that I not too psyched to go to a good pie shop and get blueberry pie. That flavor is not in my top 10. I might opt for blackberry pie.
Old 09-05-07, 10:55 PM
Sandwarrior
Bent Ryder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am working that weekend again so I eaither go an extra four miles on my commute to work and bring the pie with me, or I wait until Monday again. At least it is a 12 hour day shift. OR.....I could get the wife to bake a Cherry pie before she leaves and I can do the distance AFTER work, enjoy a Sam Adams and CHERRY PIE. Some days I am just SOOOOOOOO Smart
Old 09-06-07, 12:02 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I am working that weekend again so I eaither go an extra four miles on my commute to work and bring the pie with me, or I wait until Monday again. At least it is a 12 hour day shift. OR.....I could get the wife to bake a Cherry pie before she leaves and I can do the distance AFTER work, enjoy a Sam Adams and CHERRY PIE. Some days I am just SOOOOOOOO Smart
Same problem in that I am working but Will still have time to get out on a short ride- and find Pie.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-06-07, 05:12 AM
Sandwarrior
Bent Ryder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well Stapfam, we can both be miserable at work then, and when we get home, raise a pint to the other guy

Bill
Old 09-06-07, 10:10 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Well Stapfam, we can both be miserable at work then, and when we get home, raise a pint to the other guy

Bill
Have to agree- but I've got lights. Won't be home till it is just getting dusk but providing I haven't had to kill the Apprentice for not turning up again- I'll ride sometime that day- But the Pint is definitely on-- Red or White?

Spike Milligan
Old 09-06-07, 10:29 AM
bobby c
Bike Curious....

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That Saturday I'm riding a semi-organized metric sponsored by some friends I met on BF (Road forum) that we ride with a fair amount. As far as I know, my wife and I will be the only folks mature enough to represent the 50+ crowd, we've already have signed up to supply pie. So there will be pie, several kinds. If anyone in the DC area would like a nice 62 or 45 mile ride, here's the info!

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...=326093&page=3
Old 09-06-07, 10:49 AM
zymans
Let it be!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trying to convince DG to go for an easy ride!
... and a large blueberry pie!
Old 09-06-07, 12:12 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zymans
Trying to convince DG to go for an easy ride!
... and a large blueberry pie!
You know he really just wants to drop me like a hot cinder. But I'll accept his invitation anyway -- white bikes rule!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 09-06-07, 01:57 PM
Coloradopenguin

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately, I will be in the car driving back from San Diego on that Saturday, so my pie ride will be one week later . . . unless this breaks the great pie challenge traditional.
Old 09-07-07, 05:42 AM
Sandwarrior
Bent Ryder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Red or White?
Lets go with Red. It'll match my Cherry pie
Old 09-07-07, 06:04 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
And now its time for the 2nd Annual Blueberry Pie Challenge. Sept 15,16, 2007.
I'm in for this year. I'll be doing a 20 mile "Bike for the Health of It" ride with the parks program Saturday morning and attending the grand opening of the mountain bike trails in the afternoon I'm sure I can find a place to stop for pie between the two rides.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 09-04-22, 05:19 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 492 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Pie WORSHIP?

WOW! A whole new dimension to our pie thread.

And the type of correlation would be negative or positive?

I lost 2 pounds last week while eating a delicious piece of berry pie. It must be a positive correlation. More pie, more weight loss!
Memories from long ago. Some folks did not like activities such as the pie thread, and complained.
Old 09-05-22, 08:12 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
This makes me wonder about some of the former posters of this forum. I wonder how BluesDawg is doing?
Likes For big john:
Old 09-05-22, 10:08 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I can briefly proclaim that Maine is the BLUEBERRY state. Blueberry Pie, muffins, pancake, jelly, syrup - you name it and they blueberry it!

Later
Agree. The Downeast section along the Gulf of Maine coast, east of Bah Hahbah is where they grow and harvest the tiny blueberries, which are then used to make the best blueberry pie I've ever had. My favorite pie is either at Moodys diner on US 1 in Waldoboro (rhubarb pie is excellent as well) or at Helens Diner in Machias, best after a bowl of their lobster stew, which has large chunks of lobster in it, not that pink puree crap.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.