Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

re paint

Old 09-24-22, 07:32 PM
  #1  
whydoibike93
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
whydoibike93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: longview,washington
Posts: 45

Bikes: 19 pitch,05 7300fx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
re paint

Hi i was going to get my hybrid bike re painted i a color combo in mind but was wondering what would be some other color combos? Tia.
whydoibike93 is offline  
Old 09-24-22, 07:37 PM
  #2  
alcjphil
Senior Member
 
alcjphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 5,305
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1532 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 716 Posts
Huh! I have no idea what might appeal to you. I am very sorry but I sincerely have no idea about what you like and also no idea about what your current bike looks like. Post a couple of good pictures along with what you don't like about the current appearance of your bike
alcjphil is offline  
Old 09-24-22, 07:43 PM
  #3  
whydoibike93
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
whydoibike93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: longview,washington
Posts: 45

Bikes: 19 pitch,05 7300fx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Ik but i thought there would be some good suggestions
whydoibike93 is offline  
Old 09-24-22, 07:55 PM
  #4  
Rolla
Groucho Marxist
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 2,685
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 3,019 Times in 1,319 Posts
I think the color combo you have in mind would be perfect -- really ties the room together.
Rolla is online now  
Old 09-24-22, 08:25 PM
  #5  
tkamd73 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Menomonee Falls, WI
Posts: 1,672

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 437 Posts
A fade in those colors would look good too.
Tim
tkamd73 is offline  
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 09-24-22, 09:21 PM
  #6  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 14,857

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9100 Post(s)
Liked 5,535 Times in 3,199 Posts
Originally Posted by whydoibike93 View Post
Hi i was going to get my hybrid bike re painted i a color combo in mind but was wondering what would be some other color combos? Tia.
Your combo sounds perfect. Show us pics once it's finished!
mstateglfr is offline  
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-24-22, 09:30 PM
  #7  
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Posts: 21,248

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 296 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24181 Post(s)
Liked 7,898 Times in 5,535 Posts
.
...don't use this combination, because unless your bike is a Bottecchia, it will look derivative.

__________________
3alarmer is offline  
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 09-24-22, 09:34 PM
  #8  
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Posts: 21,248

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 296 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24181 Post(s)
Liked 7,898 Times in 5,535 Posts
.
...seriously, have you priced this job out yet ? Painting a bicycle is no longer cheap these days, and most people with hybrids go with a single color powder coat, to save some money. The guys who paint bikes do not do it on a budget, for the most part.
__________________
3alarmer is offline  
Old 09-24-22, 09:41 PM
  #9  
phughes
Senior Member
 
phughes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,609
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 531 Posts
Green, chartreuse, mauve, and candy apple beige.
phughes is offline  
Likes For phughes:
Old 09-24-22, 10:01 PM
  #10  
rosefarts
With a mighty wind
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,133
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 336 Posts
I did a spray paint of teal and tan, because I can do whatever I want. Looked ok in the end actually.
rosefarts is online now  
Old 09-24-22, 10:35 PM
  #11  
alcjphil
Senior Member
 
alcjphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 5,305
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1532 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 716 Posts
Originally Posted by whydoibike93 View Post
Ik but i thought there would be some good suggestions
Good suggestions depend on information you provide. Please, look at the other replies. I am trying to help you. Most of the other replies are mocking you
alcjphil is offline  
Old 09-25-22, 02:21 AM
  #12  
Vintage Schwinn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 577
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 292 Times in 200 Posts
Hello, we can't see what style or potential prospective colors that you might like, because we can't read minds. (well, there might be a couple of really wacko odd-ball characters here on bikeforums that can do that but they rely on a crystal ball and only profess to be somewhat accurate about 11% of the time)

Generally, any color combination that you like from anything, could be adapted to a bicycle frame.

Having said that, though if you SEARCH for previous BIKEFORUMS threads on rattlecan spray painting and painting with the ordinary liquid Rustoleum in a can, using a foam pad brush, you will find that a few people have done superb examples that are indistinguishable from a oem professional factory paint job. Some people are extremely talented and very artistic with basic paint.
If you want to gamble that your vision can be carried out to a high degree by YOU, go ahead and GO FOR IT, if you have the patience to do it orderly and in a methodical method that yields good results. READ AS MUCH AS YOU CAN ON HOW THE PERSON THAT DID WHAT THEY DID, WITH WHAT & HOW..... no joke, it is not about expensive paint, as low buck, inexpensive paints like Rustoleum 2X in a 12oz spray can or typical RUSTOLEUM oil base enamel in a can. You have a huge amount of color choices in the spray paint "rattle cans" from Rustoleum and other manufacturers at Home Depot/Lowes/Walmart/Target...etc. You also have the Duplicolor or whatever brand of various Automobile colors in the spray paint aisle at auto parts stores such as Advance, auto zone, o'reillys, carquest, pep boys, NAPA, etc.. although the price of these Duplicolor AUTO color touch up matching factory colors spray paints are significantly more costly at maybe $11 to $12 per can versus the below $5 price for Rustoleum 2X, Krylon and others. The Automobile colors spray paint cans are typically around 8 oz, so about 75% the size and more than double the price per can, and heck yeah, their spray can nozzles will drip and sputter just as much if not more than $3 no name spray paint from Dollar General, or Family Dollar.
Now rattlecan spray paint isn't the most chip and scratch resistant. Rustoleum liquid oil base in a can, takes a long long time to cure where it isn't easily scratched...
PAINT is PAINT, basically in that IF YOU DO DO A GREAT JOB it will LOOK GREAT, NO MATTER WHAT YOU CHOSE TO USE, but also no matter how much or how little you spend on PAINT, IF YOU DO DO A MEDIOCRE, LESS THAN GOOD JOB, it will LOOK LIKE DO DO, no matter how much you spent for the paint.
You obviously have a vision and you are likely very color coordinated and likely have a sharper eye for what you think would look good. People who aren't, don't typically concern themselves with trying to make things better with improved colors or color.

Depending upon what type of painting that you choose to undertake if you do indeed decide upon DIY painting, YOU WILL NEED TO WEAR THE APPROPRIATE RESPIRATOR IF YOU ARE SPRAYING ANY SPRAY PAINT, or using a spray gun and professional auto paint. Your LUNGS are important for you and all the loved ones in your life. Take care to protect your Lungs, as decades from now, the old YOU and your great grandchildren will be glad that you did!

There are many potential sources that you could use for color ideas, for example, The Jimi Hendrix Experience AXIS BOLD AS LOVE album cover, The Partridge Family's Bus, The Batman TV show of 1966-1968 as it showcases all kinds of vibrant crazy colors were seen, as in COLOR OVERLOAD, as 1966 marked USA Television broadcasts going to color. Your favorite professional sports team's colors, or the colors of your College/University, or even if its from a team or university that you really hate, but just love their team's colors.
Colors as seen in the 1950's on automobiles and bicycles......ditto for colors seen on 1960's and 1970's cars, as today it seems that cars are mostly it seems in a few choices of Gray, Silver, White, Black, Blue, Wine, Red, Beige-tan, Gold.

Here are a few threads from the antique bicycle oriented, "The C.A.B.E." .
I though these might give you some thoughts on possible uses of color, now I do realize that perhaps the old timey paint schemes might not be the type of thing that one might want on a 21st Century bicycle, however the colors they like are vibrant and nice, and these antique paint schemes are quite difficult to achieve, yet plenty of those Cabers have been able to do those superb DIY paint jobs.
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/ok...change.214370/
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/mo...r-help.154923/
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/an...estion.211914/
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/wh...-using.174120/
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/fr...ng-tips.83075/
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/pi...ve-got.134175/
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/ar...paintng.86132/
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/so...e-paint.35961/
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/ra...-issues.26711/
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/th...-advice.19797/
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/pa...-a-bike.18042/

Be sure to see many prior threads here on Bike Forums on the subject.
You also should take time to see photos of many of the INTERNATIONAL classic bicycles in various specific named threads on the Classic & Vintage forum here on bike forums. You may want to immitate certain examples or paint schemes, or just to get an idea or brainstorm to do it sorta like that, but better and more to your liking.
There is no wrong or right.
You are the boss, as it is your bike.
Have fun!
Don't kid yourself though, it will be a lot of meticulous, careful, patient, work if you want to get beyond just a barely acceptable painting of the bicycle.
Some folks want a very rushed, purposely sloppy and unattractive paint job, as a potential ANTI-THEFT camflouge disguise.

Don't let comments from various idiots here on bikeforums, discourage you from continuing to post in additional threads, or engage in discussion or make comments.
As you see, sometimes those doofuses do, and their warped thinking is something like: "lets run off the riff-raff and keep bike forums 'special'. Some just think that they are functioning as guard dogs, running off trolls, but they often don't give the original poster the benefit of the doubt. You'd think that they would be smarter than that and they would be more welcoming and helpful but just like out in the real world, you have grumpy people who bark at you and aren't polite or courteous as they should be.
It is what it is.
Don't let that spoil your fun!
Have fun!
Vintage Schwinn is offline  
Old 09-25-22, 09:01 AM
  #13  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 14,857

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9100 Post(s)
Liked 5,535 Times in 3,199 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn View Post
Hello, we can't see what style or potential prospective colors that you might like, because we can't read minds. (well, there might be a couple of really wacko odd-ball characters here on bikeforums that can do that but they rely on a crystal ball and only profess to be somewhat accurate about 11% of the time)

Generally, any color combination that you like from anything, could be adapted to a bicycle frame.

Having said that, though if you SEARCH for previous BIKEFORUMS threads on rattlecan spray painting and painting with the ordinary liquid Rustoleum in a can, using a foam pad brush, you will find that a few people have done superb examples that are indistinguishable from a oem professional factory paint job. Some people are extremely talented and very artistic with basic paint.
If you want to gamble that your vision can be carried out to a high degree by YOU, go ahead and GO FOR IT, if you have the patience to do it orderly and in a methodical method that yields good results. READ AS MUCH AS YOU CAN ON HOW THE PERSON THAT DID WHAT THEY DID, WITH WHAT & HOW..... no joke, it is not about expensive paint, as low buck, inexpensive paints like Rustoleum 2X in a 12oz spray can or typical RUSTOLEUM oil base enamel in a can. You have a huge amount of color choices in the spray paint "rattle cans" from Rustoleum and other manufacturers at Home Depot/Lowes/Walmart/Target...etc. You also have the Duplicolor or whatever brand of various Automobile colors in the spray paint aisle at auto parts stores such as Advance, auto zone, o'reillys, carquest, pep boys, NAPA, etc.. although the price of these Duplicolor AUTO color touch up matching factory colors spray paints are significantly more costly at maybe $11 to $12 per can versus the below $5 price for Rustoleum 2X, Krylon and others. The Automobile colors spray paint cans are typically around 8 oz, so about 75% the size and more than double the price per can, and heck yeah, their spray can nozzles will drip and sputter just as much if not more than $3 no name spray paint from Dollar General, or Family Dollar.
Now rattlecan spray paint isn't the most chip and scratch resistant. Rustoleum liquid oil base in a can, takes a long long time to cure where it isn't easily scratched...
PAINT is PAINT, basically in that IF YOU DO DO A GREAT JOB it will LOOK GREAT, NO MATTER WHAT YOU CHOSE TO USE, but also no matter how much or how little you spend on PAINT, IF YOU DO DO A MEDIOCRE, LESS THAN GOOD JOB, it will LOOK LIKE DO DO, no matter how much you spent for the paint.
You obviously have a vision and you are likely very color coordinated and likely have a sharper eye for what you think would look good. People who aren't, don't typically concern themselves with trying to make things better with improved colors or color.

Depending upon what type of painting that you choose to undertake if you do indeed decide upon DIY painting, YOU WILL NEED TO WEAR THE APPROPRIATE RESPIRATOR IF YOU ARE SPRAYING ANY SPRAY PAINT, or using a spray gun and professional auto paint. Your LUNGS are important for you and all the loved ones in your life. Take care to protect your Lungs, as decades from now, the old YOU and your great grandchildren will be glad that you did!

There are many potential sources that you could use for color ideas, for example, The Jimi Hendrix Experience AXIS BOLD AS LOVE album cover, The Partridge Family's Bus, The Batman TV show of 1966-1968 as it showcases all kinds of vibrant crazy colors were seen, as in COLOR OVERLOAD, as 1966 marked USA Television broadcasts going to color. Your favorite professional sports team's colors, or the colors of your College/University, or even if its from a team or university that you really hate, but just love their team's colors.
Colors as seen in the 1950's on automobiles and bicycles......ditto for colors seen on 1960's and 1970's cars, as today it seems that cars are mostly it seems in a few choices of Gray, Silver, White, Black, Blue, Wine, Red, Beige-tan, Gold.

Here are a few threads from the antique bicycle oriented, "The C.A.B.E." .
I though these might give you some thoughts on possible uses of color, now I do realize that perhaps the old timey paint schemes might not be the type of thing that one might want on a 21st Century bicycle, however the colors they like are vibrant and nice, and these antique paint schemes are quite difficult to achieve, yet plenty of those Cabers have been able to do those superb DIY paint jobs.
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/ok...change.214370/
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/mo...r-help.154923/
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/an...estion.211914/
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/wh...-using.174120/
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/fr...ng-tips.83075/
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/pi...ve-got.134175/
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/ar...paintng.86132/
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/so...e-paint.35961/
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/ra...-issues.26711/
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/th...-advice.19797/
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/pa...-a-bike.18042/

Be sure to see many prior threads here on Bike Forums on the subject.
You also should take time to see photos of many of the INTERNATIONAL classic bicycles in various specific named threads on the Classic & Vintage forum here on bike forums. You may want to immitate certain examples or paint schemes, or just to get an idea or brainstorm to do it sorta like that, but better and more to your liking.
There is no wrong or right.
You are the boss, as it is your bike.
Have fun!
Don't kid yourself though, it will be a lot of meticulous, careful, patient, work if you want to get beyond just a barely acceptable painting of the bicycle.
Some folks want a very rushed, purposely sloppy and unattractive paint job, as a potential ANTI-THEFT camflouge disguise.

Don't let comments from various idiots here on bikeforums, discourage you from continuing to post in additional threads, or engage in discussion or make comments.
As you see, sometimes those doofuses do, and their warped thinking is something like: "lets run off the riff-raff and keep bike forums 'special'. Some just think that they are functioning as guard dogs, running off trolls, but they often don't give the original poster the benefit of the doubt. You'd think that they would be smarter than that and they would be more welcoming and helpful but just like out in the real world, you have grumpy people who bark at you and aren't polite or courteous as they should be.
It is what it is.
Don't let that spoil your fun!
Have fun!
Nominated for longest post in BF history.
mstateglfr is offline  
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-25-22, 09:20 AM
  #14  
big chainring 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wilmette, IL
Posts: 7,199
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
.
...don't use this combination, because unless your bike is a Bottecchia, it will look derivative.



Like it on my Mercier!
big chainring is offline  
Old 09-25-22, 10:34 AM
  #15  
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle
 
smasha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: wellington NZ (via NJ & NC)
Posts: 1,144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I'm actually considering re-painting a brand new commuter bike to look like rusty pipes, to discourage theft. Maybe something like semi-gloss grey, with splotchy matte black/orange/red lines and blobs.

Picture here is vinyl stickers made to look like rust.


smasha is offline  
Old 09-25-22, 12:33 PM
  #16  
Mojo31
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 8,237
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6215 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,106 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn View Post
Hello, we can't see what style or potential prospective colors that you might like, because we can't read minds. (well, there might be a couple of really wacko odd-ball characters here on bikeforums that can do that but they rely on a crystal ball and only profess to be somewhat accurate about 11% of the time)

Generally, any color combination that you like from anything, could be adapted to a bicycle frame.

Having said that, though if you SEARCH for previous BIKEFORUMS threads on rattlecan spray painting and painting with the ordinary liquid Rustoleum in a can, using a foam pad brush, you will find that a few people have done superb examples that are indistinguishable from a oem professional factory paint job. Some people are extremely talented and very artistic with basic paint.
If you want to gamble that your vision can be carried out to a high degree by YOU, go ahead and GO FOR IT, if you have the patience to do it orderly and in a methodical method that yields good results. READ AS MUCH AS YOU CAN ON HOW THE PERSON THAT DID WHAT THEY DID, WITH WHAT & HOW..... no joke, it is not about expensive paint, as low buck, inexpensive paints like Rustoleum 2X in a 12oz spray can or typical RUSTOLEUM oil base enamel in a can. You have a huge amount of color choices in the spray paint "rattle cans" from Rustoleum and other manufacturers at Home Depot/Lowes/Walmart/Target...etc. You also have the Duplicolor or whatever brand of various Automobile colors in the spray paint aisle at auto parts stores such as Advance, auto zone, o'reillys, carquest, pep boys, NAPA, etc.. although the price of these Duplicolor AUTO color touch up matching factory colors spray paints are significantly more costly at maybe $11 to $12 per can versus the below $5 price for Rustoleum 2X, Krylon and others. The Automobile colors spray paint cans are typically around 8 oz, so about 75% the size and more than double the price per can, and heck yeah, their spray can nozzles will drip and sputter just as much if not more than $3 no name spray paint from Dollar General, or Family Dollar.
Now rattlecan spray paint isn't the most chip and scratch resistant. Rustoleum liquid oil base in a can, takes a long long time to cure where it isn't easily scratched...
PAINT is PAINT, basically in that IF YOU DO DO A GREAT JOB it will LOOK GREAT, NO MATTER WHAT YOU CHOSE TO USE, but also no matter how much or how little you spend on PAINT, IF YOU DO DO A MEDIOCRE, LESS THAN GOOD JOB, it will LOOK LIKE DO DO, no matter how much you spent for the paint.
You obviously have a vision and you are likely very color coordinated and likely have a sharper eye for what you think would look good. People who aren't, don't typically concern themselves with trying to make things better with improved colors or color.

Depending upon what type of painting that you choose to undertake if you do indeed decide upon DIY painting, YOU WILL NEED TO WEAR THE APPROPRIATE RESPIRATOR IF YOU ARE SPRAYING ANY SPRAY PAINT, or using a spray gun and professional auto paint. Your LUNGS are important for you and all the loved ones in your life. Take care to protect your Lungs, as decades from now, the old YOU and your great grandchildren will be glad that you did!

There are many potential sources that you could use for color ideas, for example, The Jimi Hendrix Experience AXIS BOLD AS LOVE album cover, The Partridge Family's Bus, The Batman TV show of 1966-1968 as it showcases all kinds of vibrant crazy colors were seen, as in COLOR OVERLOAD, as 1966 marked USA Television broadcasts going to color. Your favorite professional sports team's colors, or the colors of your College/University, or even if its from a team or university that you really hate, but just love their team's colors.
Colors as seen in the 1950's on automobiles and bicycles......ditto for colors seen on 1960's and 1970's cars, as today it seems that cars are mostly it seems in a few choices of Gray, Silver, White, Black, Blue, Wine, Red, Beige-tan, Gold.

Here are a few threads from the antique bicycle oriented, "The C.A.B.E." .
I though these might give you some thoughts on possible uses of color, now I do realize that perhaps the old timey paint schemes might not be the type of thing that one might want on a 21st Century bicycle, however the colors they like are vibrant and nice, and these antique paint schemes are quite difficult to achieve, yet plenty of those Cabers have been able to do those superb DIY paint jobs.
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/ok...change.214370/
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/mo...r-help.154923/
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/an...estion.211914/
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/wh...-using.174120/
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/fr...ng-tips.83075/
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/pi...ve-got.134175/
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/ar...paintng.86132/
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/so...e-paint.35961/
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/ra...-issues.26711/
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/th...-advice.19797/
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/pa...-a-bike.18042/

Be sure to see many prior threads here on Bike Forums on the subject.
You also should take time to see photos of many of the INTERNATIONAL classic bicycles in various specific named threads on the Classic & Vintage forum here on bike forums. You may want to immitate certain examples or paint schemes, or just to get an idea or brainstorm to do it sorta like that, but better and more to your liking.
There is no wrong or right.
You are the boss, as it is your bike.
Have fun!
Don't kid yourself though, it will be a lot of meticulous, careful, patient, work if you want to get beyond just a barely acceptable painting of the bicycle.
Some folks want a very rushed, purposely sloppy and unattractive paint job, as a potential ANTI-THEFT camflouge disguise.

Don't let comments from various idiots here on bikeforums, discourage you from continuing to post in additional threads, or engage in discussion or make comments.
As you see, sometimes those doofuses do, and their warped thinking is something like: "lets run off the riff-raff and keep bike forums 'special'. Some just think that they are functioning as guard dogs, running off trolls, but they often don't give the original poster the benefit of the doubt. You'd think that they would be smarter than that and they would be more welcoming and helpful but just like out in the real world, you have grumpy people who bark at you and aren't polite or courteous as they should be.
It is what it is.
Don't let that spoil your fun!
Have fun!

Mojo31 is offline  
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 09-25-22, 12:58 PM
  #17  
sbuckaroo
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Ingineus!

Originally Posted by smasha View Post
I'm actually considering re-painting a brand new commuter bike to look like rusty pipes, to discourage theft. Maybe something like semi-gloss grey, with splotchy matte black/orange/red lines and blobs.

Picture here is vinyl stickers made to look like rust.


sbuckaroo is offline  
Old 09-25-22, 01:02 PM
  #18  
zandoval 
Senior Member
 
zandoval's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bastrop Texas
Posts: 3,468

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked 897 Times in 579 Posts
Hand Brush Paint Rustolium White Gloss Enamel...
__________________
No matter where your at... There you are... Δf:=f(1/2)-f(-1/2)
zandoval is online now  
Old 09-25-22, 01:57 PM
  #19  
cb400bill
Forum Moderator
 
cb400bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 20,614

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR gravel Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2806 Post(s)
Liked 4,885 Times in 2,892 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Nominated for longest post in BF history.
Not even close
__________________
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
Fenders protect you from tire splatter. Mudguards protect you from tyre splatter.







cb400bill is offline  
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 09-25-22, 02:32 PM
  #20  
badger1
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 4,684
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 670 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Nominated for longest post in BF history.
One is tempted to comment that 'you must be new here', but you are not!

Nevertheless, this might be a moment to raise the possibility of instituting an annual prize here on teh Biek Formz; what shall we call it? I know ... let's call it the 'Prolixer Prize'. The prize: the winner is able to watch this little vignette in an endless loop:

badger1 is offline  
Old 09-25-22, 03:44 PM
  #21  
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time
 
CroMo Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 1,388

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 51 Posts
Paint it black. Everything. Flat matte or gloss.
__________________
My C&V Bikes:
1972 Bottecchia Professional, 1972 Legnano Olympiade Record,
1982 Colnago Super, 1987 Bottecchia Team C-Record,
1988 Pinarello Montello, 1990 Masi Nuova Strada Super Record,
1995 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, 1995 DeBernardi Thron









CroMo Mike is offline  
Old 09-25-22, 03:51 PM
  #22  
urbanknight
Over the hill
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 23,618

Bikes: Giant Defy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by smasha View Post
I'm actually considering re-painting a brand new commuter bike to look like rusty pipes, to discourage theft. Maybe something like semi-gloss grey, with splotchy matte black/orange/red lines and blobs.
When I worked in a bike shop, we actually had a guy come in asking if we sold used bikes and if we had a beat up Huffy or Murray. We said we had new bikes to fit almost any budget, and he explained that money wasn't the issue and that he wanted something that looked like crap but functioned well for his granddaughter to get around at college without her bike getting stolen like the previous bike.
__________________
It's like riding a bicycle
urbanknight is online now  
Old 09-25-22, 04:58 PM
  #23  
spelger
Senior Member
 
spelger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: reno, nv
Posts: 1,640

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 495 Posts
I bought my daughter a beater bike for that exact reason when she took an internship in Miami. Paid 100, sold for 50.
spelger is offline  
Old 09-25-22, 05:07 PM
  #24  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 27,268
Mentioned: 215 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16718 Post(s)
Liked 3,723 Times in 2,763 Posts
Originally Posted by CroMo Mike View Post
Paint it black. Everything. Flat matte or gloss.
Anything other than black spray paint, with overspray on a few of the components.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 09-25-22, 07:44 PM
  #25  
jaxgtr
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 5,946

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 eTap, Trek Emonda ALR 6, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 568 Posts
Get this stuff... This guy paints a car with the Musou black, the blackest paint, then paints over it with some hypershift paint and its a pretty damn cool effect

__________________
Brian | 2023 Trek Domane SLR 7 eTap | 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6 | 2022 Trek FX Sport 5
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.










jaxgtr is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.