Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New Build - Flat Bars or Drops?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-29-22, 09:49 AM
Nixhex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts

I got an early 00's steel frame (Jamis) that I'm going to clean up and paint and build into a road bike to replace my Fuji Altamira that's too small/too aggressive. I can't decide if I want to build it like a normal road bike or be a little weird/different and built it with flat bars. All of my road bikes in the past have had the traditional drop bars and I like them fine, but there's a curiosity in me that says I need to build it as a "sporty flat bar" (as opposed to the usual super relaxed hybrids that have flats). I've ridden mountain bikes with flat bars, so it won't be my first experience on flats.

I'm in Tulsa, OK and we have a pretty well developed system of paved bike trails that I usually ride on. Rides vary in length from 15 - 30 miles but are usually closer to 20ish bc I have two young kids, and convincing my wife I'm going to go on a 2 hr bike ride is a tough sell when she's had the kids all day. Trails have some hills, so it's usually in the range of 500' of elevation every 10 miles or so.

Pics below of the wheels I'm using, and kind of what I'm thinking of doing on the paint, but I'm still undecided on that.

https://imgur.com/a/inJ1IXF
Old 09-29-22, 10:06 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
I’ve done road bike conversions to flat bar and they are sportier to ride. Extra leverage seems to make steering feel quicker but still stable. Not sure if I’d be happy as my only bike, but I find them a fun alternative.

Considerations are riding in headwinds and lack of hand positions; I’ve added bar ends. Also triggers don’t have a trim function, but you can use a thumb shifter for the front derailleur. Might be nice as a 1x.

John
Old 09-29-22, 12:17 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
There's a lot of different "flat" bar shapes, and a lot of different bike layouts that they go on besides just "straight" MTB bars and upright "comfort" hybrids

I've had good success with "Albatross" style swept bars on older road bikes to make a comfortable but still 'fast' ride in the Roadster/ Path-Racer style. They come in a wide range of widths and bends, so you may be able to find one to fit your particular style and setup.
Old 09-29-22, 12:23 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I’ve done road bike conversions to flat bar and they are sportier to ride. Extra leverage seems to make steering feel quicker but still stable. Not sure if I’d be happy as my only bike, but I find them a fun alternative.

Considerations are riding in headwinds and lack of hand positions; I’ve added bar ends. Also triggers don’t have a trim function, but you can use a thumb shifter for the front derailleur. Might be nice as a 1x.

John
Generally, the wider the bar, the more steering leverage and control you get, thus the move on mt. bikes to 750-800mm bars, from 600 back 15-20 years ago.

I tend to dislike riding flat bars after about 10-15 miles, prefer the drop bars, as every time I place my hands someplace different on the bar, my back angle changes and my wrists are in a different position. Much more comfortable to me.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 09-29-22, 01:09 PM
Nixhex

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Generally, the wider the bar, the more steering leverage and control you get, thus the move on mt. bikes to 750-800mm bars, from 600 back 15-20 years ago.

I tend to dislike riding flat bars after about 10-15 miles, prefer the drop bars, as every time I place my hands someplace different on the bar, my back angle changes and my wrists are in a different position. Much more comfortable to me.
Yea, I do wonder about the lack of additional hand positions and if that will be a problem. Also will it drive me crazy being a kite as I ride into a headwind?
Old 09-29-22, 01:31 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Consider where you are going to be riding it. If it's going to be ridden off the paved roads and well packed gravel where you might struggle to steer, then you might go for a wide flat bar. Though I'd look for something with the ends angled back at me. Maybe a real wide mustache bar.

But if you are going to be on paved or well packed gravel, then IMO, few things beat a decent drop bar that isn't any wider than the acromion where your clavicle attaches. For longer riding times one might do on a road bike, I've found wider bars undesirable as they brace you too much and your arms and shoulders get all of the road swaying road forces that the body could share some of. But as usual YMMV!
Old 09-29-22, 01:35 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 147 Posts
Drop bars are the only choice for me.

But its up to the rider whichever is more comfortable.

Your bike
Your choice
Old 09-29-22, 01:38 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,741 Times in 1,499 Posts
I personally find true flat bars hurt my wrists, but I almost always have a bike to user for errands and such (jump on and use) with north road style bars. and have tried the velo orange posting which are half way between flat and northroad and look kinda cool

I would not want to ride any distance on anything but a road bar ymmv

here is what the postino look like, I have since changed out to a velo orange left bank

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 09-29-22, 01:49 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
I've got all manner of bars on my different bikes, but for the kind of riding you're describing, I'd choose flats. The best part is how vast and varied the options are -- "flat" bars now come in all degrees of rise, width, forward sweep, backsweep, and upsweep, so with some trial-and-error you can really dial in the fit, comfort, and hand positions to your liking. My recent favorite flat bars are Soma Dream Riser, Ritchey Koyote, SQLabs 30X, Jones, and Surly Terminator bars. Each is unique, and each affects the feel of the bike in a different way. Have fun!
Old 09-29-22, 02:13 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
There's a lot of different "flat" bar shapes,...
Rivendell Bike has a dozen: https://www.rivbike.com/collections/handlebars
Two dozen more at Velo Orange:
https://velo-orange.com/collections/...d-upright-bars
https://velo-orange.com/collections/alt-bars
Old 09-29-22, 02:18 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
I don't want to project here. Handlebar style is just as controversial here as chain lube/cleaning and saddle choice. My guide is to hang my hands by my side and look at the orientation of my hands and then raise them to the level they would be at while holding my handlebar while remembering that I might also need to rotate my wrists from time to time on a long ride. A more or less flat bar may put your wrists in a slightly unnatural position without any choice. However, there are plenty of other choices and they don't have to be traditional drop bars. Take for example a North Road bar. Primary position has your hands in the same orientation as you would have on a drop bar. You can even flip them to provide a slight drop and due to the small radius bend at the transition toward the stem, road brifters might be possible. I like drop bars, don't get me wrong but particularly since the advent of gravel bikes all kinds of minimal drop handlebars have come into existence. Take your time and don't let anyone else collar you into their choice. It's your bike, your choice
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 09-29-22, 02:56 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I am in the camp that does not like flat bars on a road bike, due to being uncomfortable after riding for not that long. However, as I age, and due to chronic spinal issues, I have to do do a lot of adjusting of my contact points. A few weeks ago, after a bit of hesitation, I decided to try the Ritchey Beacon bar, with them being on sale a factor. I have to say, I have quickly acquired a strong fondness for this handlebar. The shallow drop and short reach, the width, shape and ergonomics just plain work very well for me. As I write this post, I am anticipating a today delivery of another one for my Soma Smoothie. I actually really like the looks of it on the bike. It gives easy access to shifting and braking, a lot of different hand positions, and very little movement for all of those things. The angle of the STI levers mounted on the bar take my arthritic thumbs mostly out of the equation.

https://www.excelsports.com/ritchey-...lloy-handlebar

Here is a pic of the Beacon. Ritchey also has a Butano bar that looks interesting.
And UPS just dropped off my 2nd Beacon bar. I will have them mounted and used by tomorrow morning.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 09-29-22, 03:48 PM
Nixhex

I appreciate all of the opinions! I'm not feeling boxed in to any particular view, I'm just trying to get the thoughts of others. Honestly, I think the drops are prob the better choice, but some stupid part of my brain won't shut the hell up about the flat bars, and I may have to scratch that itch before it will.
Old 09-29-22, 04:12 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
You can always set it up as a flat bar and then convert it back to drops. It isn’t that tough.

Basically a stem and flat handlebar and whatever gets mounted on the bar. You can get cantilever brake levers, grips, RD trigger, and FD thumb shifter, and use a road drivetrain. If you make the brake/shifter housing and cable long enough to re-use with drop bars, you “might” even be able to salvage them.

John
Old 09-29-22, 04:27 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,842 Times in 830 Posts
I have been doing regular 30-50 mile rides with a mustache bar and up to 50 it is fine but thinking I need some drop bars for longer rides. I have flat bars on another bike that I have had on some 25-30 mile rides and they are ok but a little wide if it is windy out.

Old 09-29-22, 04:40 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4839 Post(s)
Liked 7,830 Times in 3,710 Posts
I built this up for my daughter to take to college (she decided to wait - good decision, it turned out).42T x 12-25 8 speed with Grip Shift. I was really impressed with how zippy it is. If I had any use for a similar bike, I would definitely build one for myself.
Old 09-29-22, 04:44 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4839 Post(s)
Liked 7,830 Times in 3,710 Posts
This is the hottest flat-bar road bike I’ve seen…

Old 09-30-22, 06:59 AM
Nixhex

Originally Posted by Eric F
This is the hottest flat-bar road bike I’ve seen…

holy freaking crap. That is sexy as hell. That’s probably the closest thing I’ve seen to what I’m shooting for. My drivetrain is going to be sram axs 1x because that what I have on the Fuji, so I’m just gonna swap it all over.

that said, that bike would prob look amazing with flats or drops….

EDIT: here's another example with AXS:

Last edited by Nixhex; 09-30-22 at 07:36 AM.
Old 09-30-22, 09:56 AM
Nixhex

The more I'm thinking about this, for the sake of a trial run it might be easier to just swap flat bars onto the Fuji instead of taking all the bits off of the Fuji and putting them on the steel frame. Here's a pic of the Fuji, bc who doesn't like bike pics?

Last edited by Nixhex; 10-01-22 at 05:10 PM.
Likes For Nixhex:
Old 10-01-22, 11:20 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,038 Posts

I've been riding flat bars - vintage MTB and hybrids - since I returned to biking (after basically taking off two decades) and I miss drop bars

hands and wrists can begin to squawk after a long time on flat bars

plan to spend more time on drop bars next year (primarily gravel bike)

attached pic of a hybrid set up primarily for smooth trails / road riding

Last edited by t2p; 10-01-22 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-01-22, 04:00 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Nixhex
I got an early 00's steel frame (Jamis) that I'm going to clean up and paint and build into a road bike to replace my Fuji Altamira that's too small/too aggressive. I can't decide if I want to build it like a normal road bike or be a little weird/different and built it with flat bars. All of my road bikes in the past have had the traditional drop bars and I like them fine, but there's a curiosity in me that says I need to build it as a "sporty flat bar" (as opposed to the usual super relaxed hybrids that have flats). I've ridden mountain bikes with flat bars, so it won't be my first experience on flats.

I'm in Tulsa, OK and we have a pretty well developed system of paved bike trails that I usually ride on. Rides vary in length from 15 - 30 miles but are usually closer to 20ish bc I have two young kids, and convincing my wife I'm going to go on a 2 hr bike ride is a tough sell when she's had the kids all day. Trails have some hills, so it's usually in the range of 500' of elevation every 10 miles or so.

Pics below of the wheels I'm using, and kind of what I'm thinking of doing on the paint, but I'm still undecided on that.

https://imgur.com/a/inJ1IXF
All else equal, flat bars are nearly always wider and therefore higher wind drag. That plus lack of hand positions seems like the wrong answer for anything beyond "just around town" riding.
Old 10-01-22, 06:22 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,038 Posts
Originally Posted by Nixhex
The more I'm thinking about this, for the sake of a trial run it might be easier to just swap flat bars onto the Fuji instead of taking all the bits off of the Fuji and putting them on the steel frame. Here's a pic of the Fuji, bc who doesn't like bike pics?

wth

late 60's / early 70's (?) F100 ... wow clean ...

looks dropped ...