Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What are the biggest wastes of money in biking?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What are the biggest wastes of money in biking?

Old 10-03-22, 10:45 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
For cycling, or everything?
I don't think pro football players (American) wear ENOUGH special gear! I would need a lot more padding.
Old 10-03-22, 10:48 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
For cycling, or everything?
I have to agree with him.

For example, why would a cyclist who is not racing want something like arm warmers that he/she can pull down once the 40 degree temperature you started out the morning in has risen to 60 after a couple of hours and that he/she can also pull back up when at the start of a descent after a long climb? That's just dumb. Much more convenient to stop, reach into panniers and trade a long sleeve cotton t **** you got cheap at Walmart for a short sleeve one.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-03-22, 10:49 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I don't think pro football players (American) wear ENOUGH special gear! I would need a lot more padding.
Have you been playing American football without a helmet?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-03-22, 10:54 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked 5,581 Times in 2,897 Posts
Special clothing and shoes are the biggest waste. Unless you race. Then EVERYTHING is a waste of money unless you're WINNING money.

IMO of course, which is worth exactly what I'm charging you for it.
Stirring it up, are we? Ha!

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-03-22, 11:01 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4913 Post(s)
Liked 8,014 Times in 3,791 Posts
Don't you think that the people participating at the sport at its highest level might have a good idea about the right amount of special gear they need?
Old 10-03-22, 11:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Don't you think that the people participating at the sport at its highest level might have a good idea about the right amount of special gear they need?

If they're not impaired by brain injuries.
Some sports might not have a right amount.
Old 10-03-22, 11:57 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by livedarklions
You mean “drain bramage”?

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-03-22, 12:03 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Why do people wear cycling specific clothing? Probably none if you only ride short distances. But if you do 20+ miles there are certainly many advantages:

https://www.eriksbikeshop.com/blog/p...ific-clothing/

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-a...othing?share=1

https://www.sooperarticles.com/shopp...r-1578536.html

https://www.sportsrec.com/541013-the...ng-shorts.html

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/what-ar...erseys.663443/

https://cyclinghow.com/benefits-of-w...cycling-shoes/

Gee, I can’t figure it out…..

Last edited by rsbob; 10-03-22 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-03-22, 12:07 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

My comment wasn't necessarily related to just football. I'm always puzzled by people who offer opinions about how things should be done, but don't participate in the activity anywhere near the same level, if at all.
Old 10-03-22, 12:14 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

My comment wasn't necessarily related to just football. I'm always puzzled by people who offer opinions about how things should be done, but don't participate in the activity anywhere near the same level, if at all.
Sorry, I just saw a story on Tua Tagovailoa this morning, and it really bothered me. I've gotten to the point where I'm not sure I can justify to myself watching the NFL.

I don't care what people choose to wear while cycling as long as they're happy with it. I do think there's not particularly good correlation between performance and kit except at the competitive level.
Old 10-03-22, 12:28 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Sorry, I just saw a story on Tua Tagovailoa this morning, and it really bothered me. I've gotten to the point where I'm not sure I can justify to myself watching the NFL.

I don't care what people choose to wear while cycling as long as they're happy with it. I do think there's not particularly good correlation between performance and kit except at the competitive level.
Understood about Tua.

If you're looking for statistical data to validate the amount of money spent on cycling clothes, I would agree that there isn't much correlation. It's hard to measure subjective factors, especially when it comes to things like fashion preferences.
Old 10-03-22, 01:00 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Understood about Tua.

If you're looking for statistical data to validate the amount of money spent on cycling clothes, I would agree that there isn't much correlation. It's hard to measure subjective factors, especially when it comes to things like fashion preferences.
Comfort is also almost completely subjective.

These arguments always degenerate into "You're wasting your money if..." vs. "You're not really riding if you don't....", both of which are utterly stupid and indefensible positions.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-03-22, 01:03 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Comfort is also almost completely subjective.

These arguments always degenerate into "You're wasting your money if..." vs. "You're not really riding if you don't....", both of which are utterly stupid and indefensible positions.
Agreed. On all of it.
Old 10-03-22, 01:59 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Stirring it up, are we? Ha!
Aaaaand...We have a WINNER!!
Old 10-05-22, 03:36 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
Not true Scotsman would use the "No True Scotsman" gambit.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-05-22, 04:07 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
A lot of them are just dancing chickens at the fair/carnival.
Old 10-05-22, 05:01 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by seypat
A lot of them are just dancing chickens at the fair/carnival.
I have no idea what this means.

How are top-level pro athletes "dancing chickens at the fair"? Does this apply to all athletes? What about professional dancers, who often do permanent damage to their bodies to keep at the top levels of dancing? What does this mean in any case?

The idea that a pro football player can be a muscle-bound idiot might apply in high school, but at the pro levels, those guys have to be smart and quick-thinking, as well as being fierce competitors and have high pain thresholds. For a pro lineman, for example, they have less than a second to decide what is going on, and to choose the best of many possible responses, all the while a 300-pound giant in armor is bashing into them ... they have to be able to analyze what the play is. what thee feints and misdirections might be, and form a rational response in the time it took you to read the first five words---while being beaten by a giant. The guys, however strong, who can only push in one direction get cut before college. By the time people are getting drafted, the people who don't deeply understand football are long gone.https://www.latimes.com/sports/story...uvernay-tardif

https://www.nfl.info/nflmedia/Kickof.../Page%2026.pdf

“The NFL’s 46 percent graduation rate tops the rest of the world when it comes to earning diplomas, and the league is perfect when it comes to high school graduation. The United States has a 31 percent college graduation rate for students ages 25-34, second among all nations (Norway graduates 37 percent) according to a report released by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.”

https://www.zippia.com/professional-.../demographics/

Not saying these guys are all rocket scientists, but I do say they are a bit more than "dancing chickens."

Really not sure exactly what you meant, so i am not trying to start a fight here.
Old 10-05-22, 05:46 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I have no idea what this means.

How are top-level pro athletes "dancing chickens at the fair"? Does this apply to all athletes? What about professional dancers, who often do permanent damage to their bodies to keep at the top levels of dancing? What does this mean in any case?

The idea that a pro football player can be a muscle-bound idiot might apply in high school, but at the pro levels, those guys have to be smart and quick-thinking, as well as being fierce competitors and have high pain thresholds. For a pro lineman, for example, they have less than a second to decide what is going on, and to choose the best of many possible responses, all the while a 300-pound giant in armor is bashing into them ... they have to be able to analyze what the play is. what thee feints and misdirections might be, and form a rational response in the time it took you to read the first five words---while being beaten by a giant. The guys, however strong, who can only push in one direction get cut before college. By the time people are getting drafted, the people who don't deeply understand football are long gone.https://www.latimes.com/sports/story...uvernay-tardif

https://www.nfl.info/nflmedia/Kickof.../Page%2026.pdf

“The NFL’s 46 percent graduation rate tops the rest of the world when it comes to earning diplomas, and the league is perfect when it comes to high school graduation. The United States has a 31 percent college graduation rate for students ages 25-34, second among all nations (Norway graduates 37 percent) according to a report released by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.”

https://www.zippia.com/professional-.../demographics/

Not saying these guys are all rocket scientists, but I do say they are a bit more than "dancing chickens."

Really not sure exactly what you meant, so i am not trying to start a fight here.
https://themindofstevesears.wordpres...ancin-chicken/
Old 10-05-22, 05:49 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
Nope.

Discuss.
Old 10-05-22, 06:12 PM
Maelochs

I wholly reject this.

Most people who play pro sports have tremendous passion for the sport .... nothing else provides the motivation which gets them u when they are sore and tired, to go to another practice, another bunch of drills, another training run or ride.

I photographed a couple bike races last weekend, and "passion" was an oft-repeated term when I spoke with riders. They were out here killing themselves for basically no prizes (maybe gas money if they won---and that was just the couple pro classes) and basically killed themselves all week every week to get into shape to hurt themselves on the weekends ... sending huge amounts of money and time on traini9ng, gear, travelling, and racing .... because they loved it.

Sure NFL-style money might get a player through mid-season burnout or add a couple of years to a career .... but those folks are passionate about playing or they wouldn't play.

The ones who cannot take the week of pain for the few minutes of playing on game day are the ones who long since jumped off the stage.
Old 10-05-22, 06:38 PM
seypat

I wholly reject this.

Most people who play pro sports have tremendous passion for the sport .... nothing else provides the motivation which gets them u when they are sore and tired, to go to another practice, another bunch of drills, another training run or ride.

I photographed a couple bike races last weekend, and "passion" was an oft-repeated term when I spoke with riders. They were out here killing themselves for basically no prizes (maybe gas money if they won---and that was just the couple pro classes) and basically killed themselves all week every week to get into shape to hurt themselves on the weekends ... sending huge amounts of money and time on traini9ng, gear, travelling, and racing .... because they loved it.

Sure NFL-style money might get a player through mid-season burnout or add a couple of years to a career .... but those folks are passionate about playing or they wouldn't play.

The ones who cannot take the week of pain for the few minutes of playing on game day are the ones who long since jumped off the stage.
Did you play a sport like that at a high level? Been in the locker/training rooms before/after practice/games? When the players are getting shot up with drugs/chemicals just so they can play another down or go another quarter? Or even walk to the press conference under their own power? Nobody in the organizations gives a rat's ass about the player's well being. It gotten a little better in recent years, but don't fool yourself. The players are expendable commodities that are replaced the minute they can't perform.
Old 10-05-22, 07:27 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Did you play a sport like that at a high level? Been in the locker/training rooms before/after practice/games? When the players are getting shot up with drugs/chemicals just so they can play another down or go another quarter? Or even walk to the press conference under their own power? Nobody in the organizations gives a rat's ass about the player's well being. It gotten a little better in recent years, but don't fool yourself. The players are expendable commodities that are replaced the minute they can't perform.
That is one dystopian world you live in.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 10-05-22, 07:55 PM
Maelochs

We are not talking about the management, Seypat ... we are talking about the players.

Yes, to the management the players are indeed commodities. But to the players ....

I spent many years as a sports journalist. I have interviewed many pro athletes. What is your source of information? Your imagination? Go talk to some pro athletes and get back to me.
Old 10-06-22, 01:45 AM
seypat

We are not talking about the management, Seypat ... we are talking about the players.

Yes, to the management the players are indeed commodities. But to the players ....

I spent many years as a sports journalist. I have interviewed many pro athletes. What is your source of information? Your imagination? Go talk to some pro athletes and get back to me.
I played college basketball in th 80s. Sharing the trainiing rooms with the the other sports teams. The main reason those athletes perform at the level they do is if they don't, someone else will. Now, there are plenty out there with huge egos. If they get famous, it's hard to leave the game and become an ordinary Joe. Look at Tom Brady. He can't walk away. It's going to cost him his marriage among other things. If that's what you call passion, then I guess he's got it.

Edit: We're getting far away from the subject of the thread. If someone wants to start another thread, go for it. Otherwise, better to stick to the topic of the original thread.

Last edited by seypat; 10-06-22 at 04:31 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 10-06-22, 05:22 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,819 Times in 2,978 Posts

IMO of course, which is worth exactly what I'm charging you for it.
Yep, totally worthless I agree.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.