Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Octalink installation procedure... Question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-20, 06:36 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts

Taking a shot here, I'm hoping somone can help.

I'm preparing to replace an Octalink V1 6500 bottom bracket in my 2002 Trek 7200. Since finding a new 6500 model is almost impossible I am opting for the 5500 model which is readily available. That part of this is a no-brainer.

From my afternoon of online research it appears I will need a Park BBT-18 in order to remove the NDS lockring. I already possess a Park HCW-5 Lockring Wrench but its effective diameter is too big to work. My lockring has an outside diameter of 40mm. I already have the Park BBT-22 in order to remove the cups.

I've been looking at Shimano online installation PDFs and it appears that I may need to hold the NDS cup in place while the lockring is tightened. I do not see, and it does not appear that the BBT-18 would straddle the BBT-22 in order to use them both at the same time. It appears, at least to me, that a lockring wrench would be required in order to manipulate the BBT-22 and the lockring at the same time.

My thought is... I just back-out the cup and then as I tighten the lockring it repositions and tightens the cup along with it to "spec"? Is there a hack or lockring wrench I can use to accomplish this task? Maybe some way I can get the HCW-5 to play nice with this lockring?

For reference...
Bottom Bracket
https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-10...Bottom-Bracket

Park BBT-18
https://www.parktool.com/product/bot...ttom%20Bracket

Park BBT-22
https://www.parktool.com/product/bot...ttom%20Bracket
Old 06-05-20, 07:18 PM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
All you will need is the BBT-22 to install your bottom bracket. What you’re calling the NDS lockring is actually a cup and the BBT-22 fits both the DS and NDS.

Screw the NDS cup in maybe halfway and screw in the DS all the way. Hand tighten the NDS cup, torque the DS to specs, then torque NDS to specs. It’s pretty easy.

‘Use lots of grease on threads, interfaces with crankarms and self-extractors, anywhere metal meets metal.
Likes For Davet:
Old 06-05-20, 07:29 PM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by Davet
All you will need is the BBT-22 to install your bottom bracket. What you’re calling the NDS lockring is actually a cup and the BBT-22 fits both the DS and NDS.
I've been looking at it all day. The Shimano PDF for the 7700 BB shows a separate lockring. But what you're saying appears to be correct because the teeth in cup appear to be extensions of the so-called "lockring". To be honest, that is what I originally thought. But I ended up doing everything imaginable with the BBT-22 and the thing wasn't budging. They I figured that maybe the lockring isn't integrated onto the cup and I would need to get that off first.
Old 06-05-20, 08:02 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,757 Posts
IIRC the 7700 was different from all the others, maybe adjustable? Was not very popular. As you have found, the 5500 is what is available now.
Old 06-05-20, 08:08 PM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
IIRC the 7700 was different from all the others, maybe adjustable? Was not very popular. As you have found, the 5500 is what is available now.
I'm pretty sure you're correct. I have the 5500 ordered. Now I have to get some penetrating oil on that BB. I don't think that thing has moved in 18 years.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 06-05-20, 08:43 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,757 Posts
I've found that the BBT-22 is prone to slip out of the BB. You have to be very careful to keep it straight, the splines could be deeper. You can secure it with a long bolt through the axle with nut and washers but then you have to use an open end wrench rather than a socket. I always had to triple check I was turning the thing in the correct direction. Now they have arrows
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-05-20, 09:31 PM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

....and use a loooong handled wrench/socket arm/breaker bar to help you get the BB loose. You do remember that the drive side is turned to the right to loosen? Unless you’ve got a Italian BB.
Old 06-06-20, 07:39 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I've found that the BBT-22 is prone to slip out of the BB. You have to be very careful to keep it straight, the splines could be deeper. You can secure it with a long bolt through the axle with nut and washers but then you have to use an open end wrench rather than a socket. I always had to triple check I was turning the thing in the correct direction. Now they have arrows
I put a bar clamp across BB, tool, torque wrench head and all to keep the tool in place; it also allows me the use of both hands to manipulate the wrench and brace against the frame.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 06-06-20, 07:45 AM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by Davet
....and use a loooong handled wrench/socket arm/breaker bar to help you get the BB loose. You do remember that the drive side is turned to the right to loosen? Unless you’ve got a Italian BB.
English BB. I'm all set. I am going to get some penetrating oil on it and let it sit for a while before the next attempt.
Old 06-06-20, 08:14 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I got a 40 mm M8x1.0 (NOT the more common M8x1.25) bolt and a stack of washers and used it to clamp the BB22 firmly to the bb. Then a BIG adjustable wrench on the bb tool flats to remove those cups.
Old 06-06-20, 09:07 AM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by HillRider
I got a 40 mm M8x1.0 (NOT the more common M8x1.25) bolt and a stack of washers and used it to clamp the BB22 firmly to the bb. Then a BIG adjustable wrench on the bb tool flats to remove those cups.
I've seen a solution somewhat to that online. The wife and I have to make a trip to the local hardware store this morning so I'm going to take some measurements of what I'll need and give that a try. I'm concerned because the other day I was coming very close to stripping this thing and I backed off. My next attempt will be to the letter. Penetrating oil for several hours, bolt down the BBT22 firmly, cross fingers and have a big box of kleenex ready in case I start crying.
Old 06-06-20, 10:45 AM
TakingMyTime

Success!

After stripping almost everything I could strip I got my largest pair of Cannelllocks, gripped the outside of the ring and it came off relatively smooth.
Old 06-06-20, 10:56 AM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Success!

After stripping almost everything I could strip I got my largest pair of Cannelllocks, gripped the outside of the ring and it came off relatively smooth.
Congrats! A great reason for lotsa grease on clean threads when installing your new BB. Some folks, me too, also use Teflon plumbers tap in addition.