Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Derailleur Compatability ? w/Shimano ST-5700 Shifters

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-20, 10:18 AM
metpan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm an almost 73 year old regular road bike rider. My leg strength isn't quite what it once was, so I'm wanting to give myself some improved climbing capability by installing a larger rear cassette (assume 11-34t). My shifters, which are still in good shape are Shimano ST-5700 (10 speed). My present rear derailleur won't accommodate the assumed larger cassette, so I'm asking for recommendations for a new derailleur that will work with my new cassette and existing shifters. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out.
Old 06-29-20, 10:51 AM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
A very common way to achieve your goal is to install a Shimano 9-speed rear MTB derailleur, most any will do. The touring guys use this to get the gearing they need to carry their loads whoever they need to go. The MTB derailleur works perfectly with your shifters.

Its a simple install and setup, no tricks.

Last edited by Davet; 06-29-20 at 10:57 AM.
Likes For Davet:
Old 06-29-20, 10:57 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Something like this may work.
I haven't used one but maybe someone here has.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spa...nger-extender/
Old 06-29-20, 01:41 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,757 Posts
I'll second the 9 speed mtb derailleur. Works perfectly, no kludge. This https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-De...ear-Derailleur is as low as I'd go on the food chain, you might find better on ebay. Just remember 9 speed, the 10 speed won't work with your road group.
Old 06-29-20, 01:42 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by metpan
My present rear derailleur won't accommodate the assumed larger cassette, so I'm asking for recommendations for a new derailleur that will work with my new cassette and existing shifters. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out.
Just wanted to check if you have tried the new cassette with your current derailleur as sometimes if you have the longer cage length version it may handle a 34t cog even though it's only rated for 32t.
Old 06-29-20, 03:31 PM
metpan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the quick responses. To the person who suggested trying to squeeze a little extra out of my existing derailleur, it’s a short cage so pretty sure that won’t fly. The MTB derailleur option sounds like the way I’ll go though the extender sounds intriguing. Might try that first.
Old 06-30-20, 06:13 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
I would try the current RD first with the new cassette just to be sure. Many have pushed those short cage RDs beyond the on-paper limits.
Old 07-01-20, 08:44 AM
metpan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To Crankycrank...I just looked more carefully at my response to your suggestion. It seems a bit dismissive on my part. Sorry...didn’t mean for it to sound the way it did. I will give it a try since it’s certainly the easiest way to go. Thanks.
Old 07-01-20, 04:25 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by metpan
To Crankycrank...I just looked more carefully at my response to your suggestion. It seems a bit dismissive on my part. Sorry...didn’t mean for it to sound the way it did. I will give it a try since it’s certainly the easiest way to go. Thanks.
No worries at all. I didn't take is as a dismissive reply.