Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help IDing this steel Specialized - Rasta Sequoia?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-22, 10:13 PM
Ayyyyy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi,

I"m hoping some of the old heads here might be able to help me out in finding where in the world this frame came from. I picked it up today and I've been scratching my head for hours. From what I can narrow down from the serial number and 600 New EX downtube shifters, this is a 1986 model. However, since there doesn't seem to be any catalog scans from that year on the whole Internet, I've unable to verify the exact model. Signature "flag" triple crankset, Deore deer-head half-step FD, Strong seatpost, Gran Compe Royal brakeset makes me lean towards this being a Sequoia, There's some weird paint melt effects going on, likely as a result of 35+ years in LA sunshine - wondering if this is a respray, or if S really did a Rasta paintjob back in the day.

Likes For Ayyyyy:
Old 10-03-22, 11:22 AM
philpeugeot 

Bikes: Bike Friday PRP, Bike Friday NWT, Bromton M6R, 1991 Miyata 914, 1991 Miyata 1000, 1986 Raleigh Portage, many more frames

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 181 Posts
Certainly looks like a Sequoia, especially with the recessed rack braze-ons. More pics would definitely help. Maybe it's just me, but it looks like there might be some crash damage, judging from what looks like a ripple on the underside of the downtube and top tube. If possible, I would strip the nasty paint job to see if it really is buckled or if it's just the poorly applied paint.
Old 10-03-22, 12:24 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
From the pictures, IMO, Phil is likely right about some damage. Not sure what is being shown at the IALI of the down tube decal. Is that a bad rust spot above the ZED of the same decal. I have no info on the bike itself.
Old 10-03-22, 03:18 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Yes, based on the limited description that's a good match for a 1986 Sequoia. It was spec'd with Shimano New EX shift levers paired with Deore XT derailleurs (1986 would be the 1st genration, a.k.a. deer's head). The brakeset was Dia-Compe Royal Gran Compe 500 calipers with Dia-Compe Aero Gran Compe 250 levers.

Fun Fact: The images on the 1st generation Deore XT derailleurs depict the Sika deer, indigenous to Japan. The rear derailleur has an image of the male (buck or stag), while the front derailleur has an inage of the female (doe or hind). So when referring to Shimano derailleurs, it appears to be proper to refer to the rear derailler as as "he" and the front derailleur as a "she".

Last edited by T-Mar; 10-03-22 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-03-22, 04:26 PM
fvernon

Bikes: BMC Road V2; '17 Marin Pine Mountain 2; '91 Marinoni Special TSX; '89 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp; '98 Salsa La Cruz; '79 Centurion Pro Tour; '77 Romic custom sport-tour; '77 Centurion Semi-Pro; '23 Kona Sutra LTD

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 79 Posts
Frame details & components are a match for my '86 Sequoia. The paint job looks like it was done in the early-mid 90s though
Old 10-03-22, 07:42 PM
Ayyyyy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks everybody, I'm now pretty well certain this was a respray. Seller is claiming ignorance of the bike's history.

I think I might turn this into a pet project - hopefully it doesn't track off-center too much with the impact damage. Ordered a replacement 46t ring, Lambda saddle, and the matching Deore RD, now to find a matching rear wheel.

The frame/fork damage doesn't seem *that* bad, and according to St. Brown it may be repairable by re-alignment rather than replacement of tubes...we'll cross that bridge when the time comes.
Likes For Ayyyyy:
Old 10-04-22, 07:10 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Yes, based on the limited description that's a good match for a 1986 Sequoia. It was spec'd with Shimano New EX shift levers paired with Deore XT derailleurs (1986 would be the 1st genration, a.k.a. deer's head). The brakeset was Dia-Compe Royal Gran Compe 500 calipers with Dia-Compe Aero Gran Compe 250 levers.

Fun Fact: The images on the 1st generation Deore XT derailleurs depict the Sika deer, indigenous to Japan. The rear derailleur has an image of the male (buck or stag), while the front derailleur has an inage of the female (doe or hind). So when referring to Shimano derailleurs, it appears to be proper to refer to the rear derailler as as "he" and the front derailleur as a "she".
Now that was interesting. 👍 I have a nice pair of early XT 7-speed brifters, with the rubber boots that make it look a bit like a motor-sickle. 😎 I customized a bit, to make it 9-speed instead. I'll have to start a thread, can't really grab pics right now.
Old 10-04-22, 08:06 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Ayyyyy
Thanks everybody, I'm now pretty well certain this was a respray. Seller is claiming ignorance of the bike's history.

I think I might turn this into a pet project - hopefully it doesn't track off-center too much with the impact damage. Ordered a replacement 46t ring, Lambda saddle, and the matching Deore RD, now to find a matching rear wheel.

The frame/fork damage doesn't seem *that* bad, and according to St. Brown it may be repairable by re-alignment rather than replacement of tubes...we'll cross that bridge when the time comes.
It may very well be a respray of some sort but all the Rasta markings are spot on and I can't imagine just anyone duplicating them. All of them are damn near perfect and the HB is really spot on, especially if its a repop. Any chance the too thick is all or mostly clearcoat?

Something very hinky going on here with this paint "job".

Pet project is exactly what this should be, seems like it had to be a real thing at one time. Even if not, its cool as ef and will be just plain bi***in rebooted.
Old 10-07-22, 09:30 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
Now that was interesting. 👍 I have a nice pair of early XT 7-speed brifters, with the rubber boots that make it look a bit like a motor-sickle. 😎 I customized a bit, to make it 9-speed instead. I'll have to start a thread, can't really grab pics right now.
Here's what I meant, SL-M095. At least I think that 2nd letter's an "L", it's upside-down, when I'm trying to read it. 😁
Sorry, not the best pic ever, I'm obviously still touring. Didn't want to completely forget, hence a bad pic is better than none. 😉
Old 01-10-23, 11:34 PM
Ayyyyy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hope I'm not bumping too far out of the past...just wanted to give an update.

I started chipping away some of the VERY thick clear coat and the black paint, only to find the yellowed original paint underneath. Luckily, it appears that the damage noted above is only paint deep and the tubes and fork blades are straight.

I found the quill stem was seized, but the nice folks over at the Bike Oven let me use their bench vice and a junk front wheel. That "POP" was pretty satisfying! I was afraid that the steerer might be bent due to the seized stem and how the headset was moving, but it's also fine - I guess 40 year old grease lubes bearings like taffy.

I'm proceeding to Jasco away the thick clear coat and the old paint - stay tuned.
Likes For Ayyyyy:
Old 06-30-23, 01:23 AM
hugotoll

Bikes: Specialized

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi
Did you fully cleared the black and original paint?
Asking because I have same issue.
Thank you!