Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cyclist Killed by Big Rig

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-09, 03:00 PM
WPeabody 

Bikes: Terratrike Tour, recumbent tadpole tricycle.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

https://www.ksbw.com/news/22091721/detail.html

May she RIP.

Situational awareness sometimes can prevent these things from happening.
Old 12-30-09, 03:01 PM
Luddite
Mrs. DataJunkie

Bikes: Asama "Luddite" and Kuwahara MTB from the 90s

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's horrible.
Old 12-30-09, 03:14 PM
jputnam

Bikes: Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Terrible. Not enough detail to know what happened, but I've had enough close calls with the rear of a turning semi, even in my car, that I treat them as an extreme hazard. The view from the cab of a semi is not conducive to safe turning -- I've watched the rear wheels of semis climb up curbs into a fire hydrant, a utility pole, a bridge abutment.... It's not just bikes.
Old 12-30-09, 03:22 PM
Luddite
Mrs. DataJunkie

Bikes: Asama "Luddite" and Kuwahara MTB from the 90s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jputnam
Terrible. Not enough detail to know what happened, but I've had enough close calls with the rear of a turning semi, even in my car, that I treat them as an extreme hazard. The view from the cab of a semi is not conducive to safe turning -- I've watched the rear wheels of semis climb up curbs into a fire hydrant, a utility pole, a bridge abutment.... It's not just bikes.
come to think of it, I've seen that happen many times. I even saw a rig once tear off the signal arm thing at a railroad crossing, dude was oblivious too. Also, in my neighbourhood, the big rigs come barrelling down the hill and blow the pedestrian light (ie: it's red for them, "green" for the pedestrians.) makes me shudder everytime I see that happen, recipe for roadkill pedestrian/cyclist.
Old 12-30-09, 03:34 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Yeah, do NOT sit or ride beside a rig. They simply can't see you, and the rear wheels track far inside of where the tractor goes. If there's a rig, I stay way the hell away from it. I grew up driving farm implements, and I know that there's a hell of a lot of stuff to keep track of, and no way to see everywhere at once, or even to know exactly where those wheels are going to go.
Old 12-30-09, 03:49 PM
Catgrrl70

Bikes: noyb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride with 18-wheelers every day as my route takes me by major Port entrances. Most of the time it's ok. When stopped I position myself way in front of whatever vehicle is at the front of the red so I am sure they can see me. I mean WAY in front. I don't run lights.

What gives me the chills is those moves I see by about 1 in 15 trucks. Making a sudden right turn into a port entry across the bike lane with no turn signal; running a stop sign coming out of a port exit at a high rate of speed (I have reported this numerous times to the police and am subsequently super careful there); paying absolute zero attention and blowing through the pedestrian/bike path marked crossing at which they are by law mandated to stop if someone is waiting to cross (just reported this today in fact); trucks using the bike lane as a parking strip or shoulder or part of the driving lane, etc.

What really gave me the chills this morning was upon my approach to a red light (through lane/bike lane/right turn only lane) passing a line of trucks/cars/SUVs on my left (EDIT: This line of ~10 vehicles was at a dead stop at a red light and I was approaching the red light slowly in the adjacent bike lane - even if vehicles were moving slowly I would have still done the same approach - the right turn only lane is large, long, and well marked prior to the intersection. Vehicles/trucks can easily make their lane selection. I've never in my 9 years of riding this route seen this happen before.), a semi-truck cab (no trailer) made a sudden turn across the bike lane into to the right turn lane and blew the red light within about 2 seconds (from a dead stop with no turn signal). There was zero warning the driver was going to do so - if I had been 2 seconds faster I would not be writing this now. I would have had no escape. It was one of the most dangerous moves I've ever seen. And it's been reported.

Last edited by Catgrrl70; 12-31-09 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-30-09, 04:29 PM
jputnam

Bikes: Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Catgrrl70
What gives me the chills is those moves I see by about 1 in 15 trucks. Making a sudden right turn into a port entry across the bike lane with no turn signal; running a stop sign coming out of a port exit at a high rate of speed (I have reported this numerous times to the police and am subsequently super careful there); paying absolute zero attention and blowing through the pedestrian/bike path marked crossing at which they are by law mandated to stop if someone is waiting to cross (just reported this today in fact); trucks using the bike lane as a parking strip or shoulder or part of the driving lane, etc.

What really gave me the chills this morning was upon my approach to a red light (through lane/bike lane/right turn only lane) passing a line of trucks/cars/SUVs on my left, a semi-truck cab (no trailer) made a sudden turn across the bike lane into to the right turn lane and blew the red light within about 2 seconds. There was zero warning the driver was going to do so - if I had been 2 seconds faster I would not be writing this now. I would have had no escape. It was one of the most dangerous moves I've ever seen. And it's been reported.
Want to borrow a handlebar video camera? Maybe the police can't act on the footage, but it might be enough to generate a good TV investigation or something.
Old 12-30-09, 04:32 PM
jputnam

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Luddite
come to think of it, I've seen that happen many times. I even saw a rig once tear off the signal arm thing at a railroad crossing, dude was oblivious too.
My bike/train commute gets delayed repeatedly by this -- semis tear off the crossing arm, the train has to stop before the intersection, have a conductor stand in the intersection to direct the train through dead slow, then stop for him to get on again. Sometimes twice a month at the same intersection.
Old 12-30-09, 04:39 PM
Catgrrl70

Bikes: noyb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Want to borrow a handlebar video camera? Maybe the police can't act on the footage, but it might be enough to generate a good TV investigation or something.
That would be pretty awesome! You commute through downtown too right? PM me and we'll figure something out.
Old 12-30-09, 04:59 PM
Pscyclepath
LCI #1853

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Fisher Caliber 29er, Orbea Onix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For something like that to have happened, she apparently was filtering up to the right side of the truck. And this tragedy is exactly why filtering like that, regardless of whether there's a "bike box" at the intersection or not, is some very risky business.

Imagine that trucks, buses, and oversized vehicles like that are wild elephants, intent on stomping you to death... and stay out of their reach.
Old 12-30-09, 05:36 PM
mikeybikes

Bikes: Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
Yeah, do NOT sit or ride beside a rig. They simply can't see you, and the rear wheels track far inside of where the tractor goes. If there's a rig, I stay way the hell away from it. I grew up driving farm implements, and I know that there's a hell of a lot of stuff to keep track of, and no way to see everywhere at once, or even to know exactly where those wheels are going to go.
+1
Old 12-30-09, 06:01 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I could be mistaken, but I was under the impression that cops could act on video tape footage. But you're right even if they can't I am sure that at least one local TV station would interested in it and would hopefully launch an investigation of their own which would generate interest from the LEOs as well as the DA's office.
Old 12-30-09, 06:04 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My bike/train commute gets delayed repeatedly by this -- semis tear off the crossing arm, the train has to stop before the intersection, have a conductor stand in the intersection to direct the train through dead slow, then stop for him to get on again. Sometimes twice a month at the same intersection.
Damn, well at least the train is more safety conscious then the truck drivers are. How long are the trains and how long does it take for them to get through the intersection?
Old 12-30-09, 06:59 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'm wondering who was at the intersection first. I also wonder if she got there after the truck and i8t had no turn signal on.

If a video is made of trucks blatantly violating traffic laws near the port, a TV station showing the video and making sure to emphasize the company name might get results.
Old 12-30-09, 07:20 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Look at that photo, they put up "police line" tape for the entire quarter mile.

Maybe that is a good sign that the cops will do a real investigation in this case.
Old 12-30-09, 08:35 PM
jputnam

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
Damn, well at least the train is more safety conscious then the truck drivers are. How long are the trains and how long does it take for them to get through the intersection?
The train isn't terribly long, seven cars if I remember right. (I always sit at one end, don't really count the cars.) It takes a couple of minutes extra each time, minimum. Sometimes more if traffic gets messed up.
Old 12-30-09, 08:46 PM
mechBgon

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Yeah, do NOT sit or ride beside a rig.
Amen to that. I stay well back, and try to stay in full view of a mirror so the driver can keep track of me... can't be fun trying to guess where the invisible cyclist went. +1 for daytime running lights and hi-vis outerwear, for that matter.
Old 12-30-09, 10:04 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
no, they probably roped off all that roadway because she was smeared all over the pavement for the hole distance. they make absolutely no mention of the victim, only the bike because it was probably too horrifyingly gross, especially for the family. any biker dragged by a 18 wheeler is gonna be an in human mess. I've heard some horrible descriptions including how bodies can be wrapped around wheels and axles, etc. one woman got scrambled up inside a street sweeper
Old 12-30-09, 10:07 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've seen on the back of some trailers:

"If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you"

Of course that is only half the story, it requires that the driver actually look at the mirror. Trucks have massive blind spots and often need to go quite far to the left to turn right, because most intersections are not designed for 53' trailers. Especially those in residential areas that don't normally see much truck traffic. *Cyclists have to be aware that 2 kinds of truck exist, the cab over, with the cab over the engine, common in Europe and becoming more common in North America, and the conventional layout with a big hooded engine mounted in front. If the truck has a flat front, then you want to always be in front or behind it, if it has a hood in front, then you want to be behind it. The driver probably can't see you if they pull up to the stop line, so they can forget your there. It's sometimes worth it, to actually abandon the road and walk your bike across the intersection in the crosswalk then to risk being hit by a truck.
Old 12-31-09, 12:02 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The train isn't terribly long, seven cars if I remember right. (I always sit at one end, don't really count the cars.) It takes a couple of minutes extra each time, minimum. Sometimes more if traffic gets messed up.
That's good, hopefully the traffic doesn't get messed up too often.
Old 12-31-09, 03:32 AM
wheel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My biggest fear right here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7c82MxRg3Y

Them saying I rode up alongside the truck. Which I never do.
Old 12-31-09, 04:35 AM
RacerOne
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That's pretty scary.
Old 12-31-09, 08:18 AM
Pscyclepath
LCI #1853

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Fisher Caliber 29er, Orbea Onix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
I could be mistaken, but I was under the impression that cops could act on video tape footage. But you're right even if they can't I am sure that at least one local TV station would interested in it and would hopefully launch an investigation of their own which would generate interest from the LEOs as well as the DA's office.
It depends on the law in individual states... and most of the time those laws are crafted so as to prohibit the use of red-light-running cameras to give tickets. In many states, the use of photographic evidence of a traffic violation (e.g., camera/radar for speeders and cameras for red light runners) are "insufficient," and a cop must physically witness a violation in order to write a ticket for it; giving the violator the ability to face his accuser in court.

If your state permits cameras on red lights and speed traps, then you have a good chance that they'll accept your video as evidence. If not, all you can do is use the video to convince the local police that there's a problem at that intersction, and get them to station a patrol nearby...
Old 12-31-09, 10:11 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Pscyclepath
For something like that to have happened, she apparently was filtering up to the right side of the truck. And this tragedy is exactly why filtering like that, regardless of whether there's a "bike box" at the intersection or not, is some very risky business.

Imagine that trucks, buses, and oversized vehicles like that are wild elephants, intent on stomping you to death... and stay out of their reach.
Why do you assume that she was filtering? She could very well have gotten to the intersection before the semi and was stopped waiting for the light, when the semi-went past her.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 12-31-09, 10:30 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
While I certainly agree that cyclists should aim to stay out of the "death zone" of big rigs, I have a nit to pick with your last line. A competent driver will ALWAYS know exactly where his or her wheels are going to go. Only an unskilled or inattentive driver wouldn't.

May the rider rest in peace.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.