Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

700x23c tube question

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

700x23c tube question

Old 10-08-10, 10:32 PM
woodside

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
700x23c tube question

i live in nyc and i'm looking for longest lasting 700x23c tube i can buy? i would like to know which brand to get what type/model of tubes that is best for a city cyclist. thank you

and what are your opinion on those slime tubes? are those only good incase you run over something spiky?

Last edited by woodside; 10-08-10 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-08-10, 10:38 PM
RidinSF

Bikes: Leader 725TR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm been using Continental 700c 18-25mm tubes for a while. Hasn't failed me yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Continental-Co.../dp/B001D1JEV6
Old 10-08-10, 11:16 PM
Deanster04

Bikes: Cinelli Supercoursa 69, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Mondonico Diamond Extra 05, Coors Light Greg Lemond (built by Scapin) 88, Scapin MTB, Stumpjumper 83, Specialized Stumpjumper M4, Lemond Poprad 2001

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RidinSF
I'm been using Continental 700c 18-25mm tubes for a while. Hasn't failed me yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Continental-Co.../dp/B001D1JEV6
I'll second this choice. Use proper size conti tubes for all my rides: Touring, XC, MTB, and road. Have used slime for MTB riding in goat head country but find I have to throw them away after one season because the slime tends to bind up the presta nut.
Old 10-09-10, 06:49 PM
cal_gundert05
My name is Mike, not Cal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that buying the correct size tube and keeping it properly inflated is more important than buying a particular brand of tube.
Old 10-09-10, 07:00 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,432 Times in 1,345 Posts
There isn't much practical difference in tubes, especially with the varied tire hazards on NYC streets. However having ridden in NYC for years I can tell you that it isn't really that bad. Get decent tires, keep them properly inflated and learn to deal with the occasional flat.

However if you want to keep the number as low as possible focus on the tire rather than the tube. Also consider tire liners or cafelatex tire sealant.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-09-10, 07:32 PM
trustnoone

Bikes: 2011 Colnago World Cup, 2012 Eddy Merckx AMX-2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cal_gundert05
I think that buying the correct size tube and keeping it properly inflated is more important than buying a particular brand of tube.
+1 but I usually use Continentals. I needed a tube the other day and found a conti in one of my boxes. I think it came off my touring bike and is probably around 20 years old. Seems to be good.
Old 10-09-10, 07:33 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
There isn't much practical difference in tubes, ... However if you want to keep the number as low as possible focus on the tire rather than the tube. Also consider tire liners or cafelatex tire sealant.
+1. Although some tubes are thinner than others, your best line of defense it to prevent the foreign object (glass, staple, wire, goat head...) from even reaching the tube. Some tires have protective layers under the tread. Another option is to use a tire liner which is a protective layer between the tire and tube. They may make mounting your tire trickier (trying to keep them in position, hard to install tire since they take up valuable space...) but once installed you should be way better.

In general regular tubes have a wall thickness of 0.9 mm and thinner/lighter ones ~0.6mm. That's a difference of 0.3mm = .011 inches. Practically, there is no material thickness difference.

Slime tubes do work, but it's like putting on a band-aid. Preventing debris from reaching your tube is a better way to go.
Old 10-09-10, 08:15 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
The OP wants a thick, crappy, cheap tube. The cheaper tubes are better, they're thicker and they lose air at a slower rate than high performance 'race' tubes. Combine that with a puncture resistant tyre like the armadillos or the schwalbe marathon plus's and you got a winner.