Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Starting Point for FTP

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Starting Point for FTP

Old 01-25-21, 06:13 PM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
You've moved from shovels to augers, I see.
Yawn. Literally and figuratively.
Old 01-25-21, 06:16 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
The best indicator of performance is performance itself, ftp is simply an often used guide to setup training zones or make guesses at solo efforts. That's all. Some people work with critical power. Another reason ftp isn't everything is you might not be gifted at 20min or hour power, but 5min. Road racing, others can chime in to correct, but for amateurs it's all about 5 to 8min power. And how many times you can repeat an effort.

You could do some workouts and adjust the targets based on how they go instead of doing formal tests.

For now, I'd just ride.

So, nothing wrong with knowing the number and using it to train. But, do not infer anything about how you'd do in a hammer ride, race, or otherwise. Just go try the race or rides at some point and see how it goes (once you have some group ride skills).

It's a good start. Good luck. Be sure to have fun. Figure out what you seem skilled at on the bike and have the most fun at and work on those things.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 01-25-21, 10:50 PM
Grouperdawg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dsmyth12
New cyclist here. 19 years old. I got my first road bike about three weeks ago and have clocked up around 800km so far. I did an FTP test yesterday. It has my current FTP at 257 watts or 3.21 w/kg (since I weigh 80kg). What sort of level is this at for someone untrained with no previous cycling or endurance experience?

Also, would anyone be able to point me to some resources or research on FTP or power training?
With three weeks of cycling experience I would consider that very, very good, congratulations!!

Like others, I would love to know how you calculated your ftp. Was it indoors? ramp 20 minute 60 etc?

I have a son your age who did cross country at a pretty high level and lax and other stuff. He rides the bike a few times a year but if he comes out he can do about 60 miles on rolling terrain and gets a Garmin average with auto pause in the low 20 mph before his legs and bottom bonk and he hits the wall. I would guess he is in your range but he always had very fast twitch muscles and some type of genetic endurance gift from his mother. His brother is a wrestler and also in very good shape but he will bonk from cardio stress going much, much slower and after about 40 miles.

You have youth on your side, but I still consider 257 excellent just starting out road biking. Even if you are strong and fit, just learning to be efficient in the pedal stroke is something you should have a lot of upside with.

With a lot of the banter and opinions, I guess it’s all relative to what your goals are. I know many riders that ride five a days a week, do interval training etc., and will never ever hit 250 or over a 3.0 ratio. Some are twice your age but IMHO I believe you are already stronger then the average group ride cyclist that rides two or three times a week. If you are wanting to compete, every level is different. Your power should have you racing once you hone your bike skills, etiquette , and awareness and you might really enjoy it. It’s also a sport that can keep you fit all your life!!

I don’t have any interest in racing but I’ll just give some examples for what it’s worth. My buddy rides in Atlanta with the popular hammer rides and groups and he has never been dropped and does his time up front. His wahoo kickr bike ftp (not the trainer the bike) was 267 at 180 lbs and he is 55 years old. I suspect his outdoor ftp is higher but don’t know, He raced twice this year for the first time in cat four/five got smoked in the sprint but finished top ten in both. He finished around 100th in the big gap race ( six gaps ) where he lives which is 110 miles and over 11,000 ft of climb and had an 18 mph average pace which I consider outstanding and at a very high level. The winner was almost 50 minutes faster. The difference between he and that guy is massive. I have a good friend who has won his last three races cat one and as a result picked up a bike sponsor. Rides way less then the other guy bc he is in the military. He actually takes a unicycle with him when he can. He went out a month ago solo for an hr on flat terrain and his average watts with stops was 333 on that ride. I think his speed was 22.8 mph. I ride with these two every year in a long group ride and you would have a hard time knowing that one was significantly stronger then the other.

Lastly, we have a retried pro that rides with my group who is now the GM of a team. Bc of Covid he has ridden with us more this off season, although they are back to training now in Europe. He was on a team for most of his life it’s all he knew, multiple grand tours and national champion competing at the highest level. The difference between he and the cat one guy is massive in any cycle discipline (gc, sprinter, etc). Forget about being competitive, just to finish the Vuelta , he would be shocked if any amateur could ever do that. In fact, there are pro riders on his team right now that probably could not finish.

My point is you can’t predict where you will go, there are old guys that would absolutely smoke you right now, If you could complete that gap ride at 110 miles and 11k of climb right now at any speed without stopping that would blow my mind. But, your starting baseline is higher then probably 98% of the people that just start road cycling so that’s a great thing so I would think you have tremendous upside and with your age you could develop really quickly!
Likes For Grouperdawg:
Old 01-26-21, 03:00 AM
dsmyth12

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL Disc 7.0

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Grouperdawg
With three weeks of cycling experience I would consider that very, very good, congratulations!!

Like others, I would love to know how you calculated your ftp. Was it indoors? ramp 20 minute 60 etc?

I have a son your age who did cross country at a pretty high level and lax and other stuff. He rides the bike a few times a year but if he comes out he can do about 60 miles on rolling terrain and gets a Garmin average with auto pause in the low 20 mph before his legs and bottom bonk and he hits the wall. I would guess he is in your range but he always had very fast twitch muscles and some type of genetic endurance gift from his mother. His brother is a wrestler and also in very good shape but he will bonk from cardio stress going much, much slower and after about 40 miles.

You have youth on your side, but I still consider 257 excellent just starting out road biking. Even if you are strong and fit, just learning to be efficient in the pedal stroke is something you should have a lot of upside with.

With a lot of the banter and opinions, I guess it’s all relative to what your goals are. I know many riders that ride five a days a week, do interval training etc., and will never ever hit 250 or over a 3.0 ratio. Some are twice your age but IMHO I believe you are already stronger then the average group ride cyclist that rides two or three times a week. If you are wanting to compete, every level is different. Your power should have you racing once you hone your bike skills, etiquette , and awareness and you might really enjoy it. It’s also a sport that can keep you fit all your life!!

I don’t have any interest in racing but I’ll just give some examples for what it’s worth. My buddy rides in Atlanta with the popular hammer rides and groups and he has never been dropped and does his time up front. His wahoo kickr bike ftp (not the trainer the bike) was 267 at 180 lbs and he is 55 years old. I suspect his outdoor ftp is higher but don’t know, He raced twice this year for the first time in cat four/five got smoked in the sprint but finished top ten in both. He finished around 100th in the big gap race ( six gaps ) where he lives which is 110 miles and over 11,000 ft of climb and had an 18 mph average pace which I consider outstanding and at a very high level. The winner was almost 50 minutes faster. The difference between he and that guy is massive. I have a good friend who has won his last three races cat one and as a result picked up a bike sponsor. Rides way less then the other guy bc he is in the military. He actually takes a unicycle with him when he can. He went out a month ago solo for an hr on flat terrain and his average watts with stops was 333 on that ride. I think his speed was 22.8 mph. I ride with these two every year in a long group ride and you would have a hard time knowing that one was significantly stronger then the other.

Lastly, we have a retried pro that rides with my group who is now the GM of a team. Bc of Covid he has ridden with us more this off season, although they are back to training now in Europe. He was on a team for most of his life it’s all he knew, multiple grand tours and national champion competing at the highest level. The difference between he and the cat one guy is massive in any cycle discipline (gc, sprinter, etc). Forget about being competitive, just to finish the Vuelta , he would be shocked if any amateur could ever do that. In fact, there are pro riders on his team right now that probably could not finish.

My point is you can’t predict where you will go, there are old guys that would absolutely smoke you right now, If you could complete that gap ride at 110 miles and 11k of climb right now at any speed without stopping that would blow my mind. But, your starting baseline is higher then probably 98% of the people that just start road cycling so that’s a great thing so I would think you have tremendous upside and with your age you could develop really quickly!
Cheers for the reply. Just out of curiosity, who is the ex-pro rider?
Old 01-28-21, 02:22 PM
Redbullet

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Amazing!!!
103 posts to this thread up to date, but only 4 or 5 of them (including the starting post) belong to OP.
Keep going!
Likes For Redbullet:
Old 01-31-21, 10:30 AM
Quiglesnbits

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Managed to stick with them reasonably well until towards the end. Idk how that stacks up because as I said, I've only been cycling for four weeks.
I just read through this whole thing, and I hesitate to bring this thread back to the top, but OP, I would recommend to you that you examine which areas you struggled to be more than "reasonably well stuck" with the others. With an FTP as you've stated, a 30 kph group ride should be fairly easy for you to manage. what was your output during the ride? How much variability was there over the course of the ride? Did you find yourself lagging in specific areas such as hills, sustained higher efforts, or simply due to the total duration of the ride? These could provide you with good insight into where to focus your efforts.
Likes For Quiglesnbits:
Old 01-31-21, 10:50 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 1,131 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by Quiglesnbits
I just read through this whole thing
My condolences. You'll never get that part of your life back. Sorry for your loss.
Old 01-31-21, 01:05 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
My condolences. You'll never get that part of your life back. Sorry for your loss.
😂😂😂 My vote for post of the year!
Old 02-02-21, 03:31 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
New cyclist here. 19 years old. I got my first road bike about three weeks ago and have clocked up around 800km so far. I did an FTP test yesterday. It has my current FTP at 257 watts or 3.21 w/kg (since I weigh 80kg). What sort of level is this at for someone untrained with no previous cycling or endurance experience?

Also, would anyone be able to point me to some resources or research on FTP or power training?
I think you are looking for compliments. You are entitled to them: you are doing very well, and that's a promising start.

The Friel book is the bible, but honestly for FTP research and thoughts I'd do careful internet searching and reading (in other words, don't ask strangers on ******). There are a LOT of excellent information sources on the web that are free and easily accessible.

Your more significant challenge will be forging good concrete goals when you don't have a lot of experience.

Also: be nice to people when out riding, and for the love of God learn how to be safe when riding. I saw a new rider post a video on ****** a couple months ago of him doing a descent on a road outside Los Angeles where he was weaving in and out of pedestrians at 50mph - absolute idiot and didn't even have a clue how dangerous his footage showed him to be.

If you're going to log a lot of time on the roads, and at speed, safety is a big, big deal.