Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show off your late 1980's Schwinn road bike here

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show off your late 1980's Schwinn road bike here

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-21, 05:53 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 280 Posts
Most likely a Giant product out of Taiwan.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 09-07-21, 06:13 AM
RobertUI 
Monkey Boy

Bikes: '22 Surly Straggler, '15 Breezer Downtown EX, '19 Motobecane Record (fixie)

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by brandenjs
I saw that ad also. I have a soft spot for these Schwinns. The ad said it had a bent front wheel. Did you have a spare or is it this one?
The 'bent' front wheel (as I suspected) was slightly out of true. It was rubbing the brake as the wheel came around... less than 5 minutes on my truing stand, and it's good to go. The only thing actually WRONG with it (making it unridable) was the rear tire & subsequently the tube were destroyed. The previous owner tried some gorilla tap to keep the 4 inch slice in the tire together, but it failed miserably. I just got a new CST tire on it, and it's back in ridable condition. The seatpost doesn't give me much room, so I can't ride it for too long, but that's easily remedied. I still can't decide what I want to do with it. :-)
Old 09-07-21, 07:16 PM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by RobertUI
The 'bent' front wheel (as I suspected) was slightly out of true. It was rubbing the brake as the wheel came around... less than 5 minutes on my truing stand, and it's good to go. The only thing actually WRONG with it (making it unridable) was the rear tire & subsequently the tube were destroyed. The previous owner tried some gorilla tap to keep the 4 inch slice in the tire together, but it failed miserably. I just got a new CST tire on it, and it's back in ridable condition. The seatpost doesn't give me much room, so I can't ride it for too long, but that's easily remedied. I still can't decide what I want to do with it. :-)
Yes, those are easy fixes. A little small for me also, but it does catch an eye so it should be easy to flip.
Old 09-18-21, 06:00 PM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts
Just brought this home. Pics taken after a quick hose down due to a layer of dust and dirt. Dura Ace levers (hoods are toast), pedals, hubs and shifters as well as the pictured crank, rd, and brakes. Cinelli bars which could be original. Not sure of the stem as there are no markings. San Marco Rolls saddle has ridges but no cracks yet. It's drinking leather conditioner like water. The paint is actually really good considering a lot of these aluminum Schwinns chipped like crazy. It's actually a pearl white. That's reflective tape on the crank arm. The seat post isn't cracked as far as I can tell. Interesting side note. I can't find any pictures of the 974 in white.
This one goes into the basement as a winter project as work is crazy right now.

Last edited by sdn40; 09-19-21 at 02:04 AM.
Old 10-12-21, 06:13 PM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 174 Posts
Picked up this 1986 Prelude today for next to nothing. Will go in the queue to get restored and up to riding condition. A couple changes have been done because I have never found where the 86 models had Suntour Accushift stem shifters and this is the first bike I have owned with a bouncy rear rack . What do you all do when you don't have a proper upper bracket, but you have an old tube laying around?? Suntour Cyclone and Columbus Tenax are always pretty nice.

Last edited by brandenjs; 10-12-21 at 06:22 PM.
Likes For brandenjs: