Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New pedals stripped crank

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.
View Poll Results: What should I do?
Repair crank with current L pedal (So both pedals Left)
4.00%
Repair crank with new pedals (R + L)
16.00%
New crank with new pedals (R + L)
80.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

New pedals stripped crank

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-21, 07:13 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,647 Times in 4,055 Posts
Originally Posted by trrrrrev
No the crank arm is fine - I have changed the pedals in previous years and didn't have any issues. I think it's likely these dodgy eBay pedals and not the bike, and I probably did try force the pedals in which messed up the crank..
The crank arm isn't fine. It's far more likely that you cross threaded the pedal than you have a left-hand thread pedal.

I'd look for replacement cranks, check the crank arm for part number and length. Hard to tell on my phone, but they could be FC-5502.

eBay prices range from $40 for worn out to $200 for NOS.

You might even be able to find a lone right side.

There's no option for buy replacement crank, check pedal threads, reuse pedal if threads check out, so I didn't vote.

Also, you'll need to clean the pedal threads if the pedal was cross threaded. A small wire brush is nice, but a scratch awl and a toothbrush can be used to clean all the aluminum crank material out of the pedal threads.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 11-06-21 at 07:18 AM.
Old 11-06-21, 09:00 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Yelbom15

Yikes. Got a bit defensive in here.
You give bad advice you can count on me to call you out on it. Sorry.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 11-06-21, 09:11 AM
Yelbom15

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
You give bad advice you can count on me to call you out on it. Sorry.

Relax, dude. Literally everyone is saying the same thing. You’d make a work place awkward as hell. Don’t take life too seriously.
Old 11-06-21, 11:07 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,361 Times in 7,196 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly59
The big problem with thread repair of a crank- the pedal has to end up aligned with the BB spindle when the pedal is installed. You will get a very weird feeling as you pedal if it’s just a bit off.

...it's not a problem when I do it. But I have done it a lot, and I own a small framing square.
The magical tool they sell along with the threadserts (both left and right), is a marvel of modern machining.

It consists of a tapered reamer, which transitions at the top to the tapping threads for the hole, so that the threadsert screws right in.
If you don't try to do it without removing the crank arm from the bike, there's a pretty good chance that the taper of the reamer will run it straight before you get to the threads at the top of it.

I guess it's probably easier to get a helicoil in there crooked, because you have to drill the hole larger to install it. But it's remarkably difficult to obtain those helicoils in the size and threading you need for both right and left pedals these days. There was someone making and selling a kit out of Taiwan a couple of years ago, but I'm not sure it's still available.

The RH ones are the same size and threading as an older spark plug standard, but even those have gotten scarcer. The threadserts just keep on coming, probably because they charge like 8 buck apiece for them, and it's just a tiny piece of sheet metal, intricately formed by industrial magic.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 11-06-21, 04:12 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
I've seen this more than a few times, so you're not alone in this mistake op, though perhaps try to learn not to force things. If the crank is solid (not hollow) aluminum a helicoil can be installed- its not hard to do really, though the coils are surprisingly pricy (~$20). If you walked into my work we'd get it out the door same day, because apparently whoever was ordering before I got here ordered a ton of helicoils for some reason.
Likes For cpach:
Old 11-06-21, 04:56 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
That was enlightening, thanks.
The use of left-hand threads on the left-side pedal was popularized by the Wright Brothers (see the last paragraph under "Upgrades").
Old 11-08-21, 12:09 PM
RAFSteve1
Old Newbie

Bikes: Many, I'll list later

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
hi, wondering if someone could advise..

I recently bought 2 new pedals for my pinarello bike. They arrived as both left pairs, i didn't realise this until cycling and the r pedal kept unscrewing itself and falling off.
I then tried to replace my old pedal, but this didn't fit in the crank, so i think the crank has been stripped.

I'm not really sure how to proceed, i would guess my options are the following:

1) repair crank with current l pedal (so both pedals left)
2) repair crank with new pedals (r + l)
3) new crank with new pedals (r + l)

any advice appreciated!
Travis
3)
Old 11-10-21, 09:48 AM
Deanster04

Bikes: Cinelli Supercoursa 69, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Mondonico Diamond Extra 05, Coors Light Greg Lemond (built by Scapin) 88, Scapin MTB, Stumpjumper 83, Specialized Stumpjumper M4, Lemond Poprad 2001

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
There was a kit I purchased from the local hardware to effect a repair. You can tap out the improperly installed pedal one size larger and add a special ring (helicooil) into the crank. I have had to do this myself and after years its holding. I wouldn't recommend doing this but would have a very experienced mechanic perform the job. And for god's sake dump the improper pedals in the round file and buy NEW ones so if they come in wrong you can return them to the seller.

Last edited by Deanster04; 11-10-21 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-16-21, 08:51 AM
trrrrrev

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yelbom15
I’m seeing a lot of pretentious comments. Like we haven’t seen this happen a million times in bike shops from people trying to install pedals themselves. Don’t read the negative comments. Happens all the damn time.

If there’s enough meat, a bike shop can tap and clean. You may have lost a couple threads but it’s better than none.

Someone mentioned heli coil which is the go to if there’s no meat left at all. Most bike shops should have these but I remember when we couldn’t get our hands on them for months for some reason.

I see it’s a an old 105 crank. These guys go for cheap. If a bike shop isn’t too big of jerks, square taper cranks can be slapped on and off within thirty minutes(if they’re not busy…) Maybe take a look around on Ebay if everything else is too troublesome.

Again, ignore the “you’re stupid” comments. Happens all the time.

By the looks of the poll, it’s time for some new cranks. Usually the case.
THANK YOU finally some good & practical advice.
I haven't yet done anything about the repairs but it looks like it will need both a new crank and pedals.

I've enjoyed seeing people get so riled up about my bike drama, somewhat amusing.
Old 11-18-21, 03:18 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Option #3 is the best choice. If you cannot threat the pedal in by hand then something is wrong and not a good idea to muscle it through. This applies to pretty much everything.

Looking at the pedals the threads should have been opposite each other when viewed with the threads at the top with the threads looking like they are tilted to the right for the Left pedal which is a counter clockwise attachment.
Old 11-19-21, 10:22 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
Don't know whether anyone mentioned this, but I chewed up about half the threads on a left crank e-MTB by having the pedal unscrew while I was riding and not noticing it until it was "too late". First time it happened in 40+ years of riding including my kids and wife's bikes, but things happen. Used red LockTite and gently installed the pedal, let cure and has been fine. Since, probably, you're going to replace, you have nothing to lose. If the red didn't work, I was thinking of "JB".