Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Going without saddlebag

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Going without saddlebag

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-22, 08:57 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
I always go with a saddlebag. I use a medium size one that fits under the seat where I can store two tubes, multi-tool, and tire levers. I also carry a credit card, $20 cash, ID, and my bus pass. Doesn't matter if I'm on a group ride or riding solo, I always carry these items.
Old 04-11-22, 12:31 AM
c0urt
moving target

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 69 Posts
you guys actually reminded me i need a new one
Likes For c0urt:
Old 04-11-22, 01:47 AM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
Carry spares and know how to use them. It's really not that obtrusive or difficult.

I have two spare tubes, CO2 cannisters, tyre levers and a few basic tools to get me out of almost any mechanical, all in a small saddlebag. If you're worried, the whole lot weighs less than 1lb (under 450g).

Relying on other riders to fix your problems (or supply the gear to fix your problems) because you could be bothered to carry the gear yourself is 100% selfish. 🙄
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 04-11-22, 04:25 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
****** has a whole section for AITA posts.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 04-11-22, 08:32 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Why would I ever give my tube to a stranded cyclist who has no regard for returning acts of kindness?
A Putz is more descriptive than Moocher.

Putz = "I can't help you, but I'm stopping and asking - to show you I'm a 'good' person and care about you. Have a nice day waiting, and you're welcome"

I only carry 1 spare tube or tubular tire - only the deserving should ever ask.
Old 04-11-22, 08:58 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,600 Times in 2,907 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
only the deserving should ever ask.
Please share your means test.

Old 04-11-22, 09:12 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Please share your means test.
It's the unwritten Universal means test.
Putz-ins gets nuth-ins.

administered on the road, where they never get a second chance at my first impression.

edit: Actually I have never run across a cyclist on the roads I ride, broken down with no tools. And only once or twice on a MUP by total newbs only a very few miles from their starting point.

Last edited by Wildwood; 04-11-22 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-12-22, 03:29 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
a few years ago I rode past an older guy (my age) with a flatted sewup and no pump. I stopped because I had my 'trusty' Zefal HP on my bike, forgetting that it was not in peak operating condition. I figured my pump would work well enough if I was able to find some grease for the innards of my pump to form a seal for the gasket(?). I rode off to a gas station. By the time I got back, he was gone. He had apparently decided to call a cab or someone with a working pump stopped to help (which wasn't a problem for me, since we knew it was a possibility).

That was a guy who had broken down on the road with no tools. He did have a spare tire, though.

Nice bike - the tops of the seat stays were stamped 'B. Carre'.

Man, I still feel like a fool for riding all those miles with a pump that didn't work. I feel pretty grateful too....

I got the necessary new parts that winter, and I test the pump periodically now. I doubt I'll ever be able to help that guy, though - he probably doesn't leave home without his Silca frame pump.
Old 04-12-22, 05:00 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
In all seriousness, I don't carry tubes or a phone, and often no tools. Yes, I've had to do a few REALLY long walks (and at least one or two train rides) over the years, just to get home. Whatever. Makes for some good stories thirty years later.

I would never think to ask for tubes or tools from another rider; I just suffer the consequences of my own making.
Honest question: Why not then, if you've actually experience some big hassles from not carrying that stuff?
Old 04-12-22, 05:56 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
This is a tough one, the biggest issue is that I've never seemingly had enough saddle bags for all the bikes and often forget to swap them. Which has resulted in me riding a couple miles more than a few times on flat tires since I don't walk. I've been trying to get bags on all of them though and I'm getting close. Over the last several years I've given away at least half a dozen tubes to people with flats, they've all been on the MUPs and are typically people who are more leisure riding without realizing they might get a flat.
Old 04-18-22, 12:17 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 487 Posts
njkayaker: I admit that I misinterpreted the original post. I had thought O.P. was insinuating that it is "obnoxious" to not carry spare tools in a saddle-bag. Upon reading his subsequent statements, I realize he is a rider who chooses to ride without these insurances. Thank you for the correction.
Likes For 1989Pre:
Old 04-21-22, 06:42 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

The question is; If one sees an obviously experienced cyclist with a flat and zero saddle bag or tools, that has chosen to ride without said equipment, does one feel compelled to stop or just ride on and say, too bad so sad?

I have rescued several people that ran out of patches or needed a tube but were equipped.

I have also left a total know-it-all a-hole obnoxious jerk-wad on the side of the road who was too cool to carry anything. I figured I was assisting his karma. (Spare me any sympathy for that idiot and condemnation for what I did because you have no clue how desperately this poor excuse of a cyclist deserved it. You had to be there)

Old 04-21-22, 07:08 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
a total know-it-all a-hole obnoxious jerk-wad
Tell us how you really feel.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 04-21-22, 07:13 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
One of The Rules is being self sufficient, but do you think it’s obnoxious for a rider to go without a saddlebag because they know that if they get a flat someone will be bound to have a spare tube on them? The only time this didn’t work is when I needed a crescent wrench and didn’t know some multitools have one.
No, you're not getting a spare tube from me. The most I can give you is a tiny patch of rubber I recycled from old tubes and stick it to your tube with super glue. It's quick fix though and will get you home in one piece. I have hundreds of this home-made patches of various shapes in my kit.

At least get a puncture-proof tire if getting by without saddlebag. Something like Gravel King Plus slicks
Old 04-21-22, 07:48 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by qwaalodge
No, you're not getting a spare tube from me. The most I can give you is a tiny patch of rubber I recycled from old tubes and stick it to your tube with super glue. It's quick fix though and will get you home in one piece. I have hundreds of this home-made patches of various shapes in my kit.

At least get a puncture-proof tire if getting by without saddlebag. Something like Gravel King Plus slicks
Ingenious. Never heard of that method.

Old 04-21-22, 08:48 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Ingenious. Never heard of that method.
I heard it from another cyclist. In many cases, for tiny punctures, like from small wires, you don't even need rubber patch, just pinch the puncture point and apply a tiny drop of super glue, release from pinching and leave to dry.

I like superglue because it cures a lot faster than the glue from standard patch kit and it can cure in wet conditions like in rain. You can even accelerate curing time with sodium bicarbonate powder (baking soda?). I just never tested how long it lasts. I also carry a spare tube.
Old 04-21-22, 08:55 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by qwaalodge
I heard it from another cyclist. In many cases, for tiny punctures, like from small wires, you don't even need rubber patch, just pinch the puncture point and apply a tiny drop of super glue, release from pinching and leave to dry.

I like superglue because it cures a lot faster than the glue from standard patch kit and it can cure in wet conditions like in rain. You can even accelerate curing time with sodium bicarbonate powder (baking soda?). I just never tested how long it lasts. I also carry a spare tube.
I’ve tried this with the patch kit glue and it didn’t work
Old 04-21-22, 09:49 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
I ride places. Like being able to have what I'd like with me. Jacket. Food. Camera. I run errands. I carry things. I love my Carridice Longflap.........
Likes For gorillimo:
Old 04-22-22, 04:29 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 263 Posts
I've always carried a small bag under the saddle. It contains one tube, patch kit, tire levers, small foldy tool and a few bucks. Also a mini pump. I don't mind a bit of weight for piece of mind. I do ride with a rider or two, in our usual group of suspects, that won't carry any of this gear. I've made it clear, when asked, I'll give you a patch and let you use my levers and pump but a tube? no way!. I'm not your pack donkey...don't carry and need it? have a nice walk home or call someone. Might seem mean but I don't care. Funny thing is I'm also a lot faster than they are even with my extra weight...makes it all the more delish hehehe
Old 04-22-22, 04:54 AM
qwaalodge
Banned.

I’ve tried this with the patch kit glue and it didn’t work
I use super glue with the home made inner tube patches.

I never tried patch kit glue with the home made patches yet.
Old 04-22-22, 06:24 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
The question is; If one sees an obviously experienced cyclist with a flat and zero saddle bag or tools, that has chosen to ride without said equipment, does one feel compelled to stop or just ride on and say, too bad so sad?
No I am not giving away my spare tubes because I may end up getting a flat down the road and need them...An experienced cyclist should be prepared for emergencies, and if they're not that's their problem...Seriously, an experienced cyclists not carrying a spare tube is worse than an inexperienced cyclists not carrying a tube.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 04-22-22, 07:54 AM
LarrySellerz

It’s just a tube lol… IRL people are happy to help.
Old 04-22-22, 08:02 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
If it's "just a tube," you shouldn't have any problem providing one for yourself, no?
Old 04-22-22, 09:22 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 935 Posts
One of The Rules is being self sufficient, but do you think it’s obnoxious for a rider to go without a saddlebag because they know that if they get a flat someone will be bound to have a spare tube on them? The only time this didn’t work is when I needed a crescent wrench and didn’t know some multitools have one.

You should see how happy they would be after seeing this thread. Hint: people aren't happy being taken advantage of.

At this point, you are just trolling,

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-22-22 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-22-22, 09:26 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by njkayaker
So sorry that I'm not following "The Rules" to the letter lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.