Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Erie Canal tour in October. Weather?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Old 04-26-22, 09:40 AM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts

I'm thinking about doing a credit card tour of the Erie Canal from Buffalo to Albany in October? Looking at the past 5 years of weather data on Weather Underground, it seems like rain shouldn't really be an issue. True?

I've only explored the route through YouTube videos and it seems like it's almost all paved so if it does rain, seems like the path should be good, right? I've gotten lucky on the C&O in October. There was no rain but a few spots were a little soft--not bad, but wouldn't want to spend my whole trip like that.

ThanksPaul
Old 04-27-22, 09:49 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 718 Posts
Originally Posted by pennpaul
I'm thinking about doing a credit card tour of the Erie Canal from Buffalo to Albany in October? Looking at the past 5 years of weather data on Weather Underground, it seems like rain shouldn't really be an issue. True?

I've only explored the route through YouTube videos and it seems like it's almost all paved so if it does rain, seems like the path should be good, right? I've gotten lucky on the C&O in October. There was no rain but a few spots were a little soft--not bad, but wouldn't want to spend my whole trip like that.

ThanksPaul
October along the Erie Canal has some great weather and scenery. Rain is only every few days and not great soakers so not a huge issue. However, expect the potential of real cold in the morning, nice temps by noon and fast temp drops in the afternoon, especially towards the end of the month. Growing up on the canal meant trick or treating in winter coats seemingly every other year as the first snow of the season was often by the end of the month. That will be true for Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse though I can't recall that Albany was the same when I lived there.

I'd actually suggest that most of the trail is not paved. The Buffalo area is paved though I started in Amherst since the connection between the two isn't that great and I don't find Buffalo much to write home about. The trail turns to crushed gravel/cinder by Amherst and will remain that way till just outside Rochester in the Gates/Chili area; still fairly flat and fast moving, with no troubles if you run as small as 28c. At Pittsford, just to the east of Roc you'll run back into cinder which will be the case most of the way till Newark with some random spatterings of paved sections for short bits of time. Macedon for example has paved and a nice bridge to cross, also has bathrooms as the locks. Palmyra has a rougher dirt section that's a little rocky going through the town but also nice parks. After Newark you get to the Lyons area where you'll basically just stay on 31 until Weedsport, its a reasonably trafficked road with decent shoulders and nice farmland to keep you bored. Other than gas stations there's really nothing between. Weedsport to Syracuse is some wider dirt trail and some double track dirt trail. Syracuse to Canastota will start with pavement and move to nice flatter cinder/gravel but after Canastota to Durhamville will transition to narrow dirt strips in the grass but when you get to Durhamville stay on the trail to see the cute little spillway just before you get into the town. It remains mostly unpaved with the area east of Rome some of the worst, in summer it had bad mosquitos, don't know what Oct is like there. I didn't make it past Herkimer and haven't been on any of the trail till Scotia but from the highway it looks to be a mix of paved and cinder. From Scotia on has been paved for decades and was recently updated so I'd expect decent conditions.

My experience having ridden most of the trail several times over the years is that a 28c tire is doable for the whole thing, but not comfortable for some stretches though most of those are no more than 10 miles long. A 32 or 35 would be the better mix of speed and comfort and bigger would be unnecessary. The 38c tires I ran measure 34mm wide on a 19mm internal width rim and at no time did I wish for a wider tire. Mine has a solid center line with a file pattern to each side and that's as aggressive as the whole trail needs. But do pick a tire with some puncture protection, having been a mechanic at shops in the Rochester and Albany areas I know the cinder can work its way into softer tires.
Old 04-28-22, 06:28 PM
pennpaul

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
The 38c tires I ran measure 34mm wide on a 19mm internal width rim and at no time did I wish for a wider tire. Mine has a solid center line with a file pattern to each side and that's as aggressive as the whole trail needs. But do pick a tire with some puncture protection, having been a mechanic at shops in the Rochester and Albany areas I know the cinder can work its way into softer tires.
Russ, thanks for taking the time to provide an excellent breakdown of the route! I ride a similar tire so that's good to read.
Old 04-28-22, 06:46 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
weatherspark.com has extensive averages charts and yearly histories. Lots of extreme weather days in recent years, I wonder how that affects the averages.

Here's Rochester NY, for example.

Drill down all the way to specific days of the year!
The right sidebar --> Oct. The charts show most of Sept, all October, and part of Nov.

Then Oct 15 from the sidebar.

This is the chart I use the most. percentiles of temperature ranges throughout the day. It's more useful than the average temperature bands chart, I think. But that chart is good, too with it's 25-75 percentile band and 10-90 percentile band. --from the average chart: at 10AM, it's 80% likely to be between about 43F and 63F (the 10-90 band.)

How often is it below 45F in the morning? How cold can it get, and how often? etc.
At 10AM: 80% of the time, it's above 45F. At noon: 50% of the time, above 55F (and 50% of the time, below of course!)
Old 04-28-22, 06:50 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,042 Times in 1,169 Posts
Recently, early October can be warm, with temps in the 40's at night. Later October tends to start to see much colder in the AM. Its not rainy season either. 2 buddies who did the organized trail ride, one was on 28's and said he was OK. I'd agree that 32's would be ideal.
Old 04-28-22, 09:22 PM
pennpaul

Originally Posted by rm -rf
weatherspark.com has extensive averages charts and yearly histories. Lots of extreme weather days in recent years, I wonder how that affects the averages.
At 10AM: 80% of the time, it's above 45F. At noon: 50% of the time, above 55F (and 50% of the time, below of course!)
Thanks for that website.

Brrrr.....I've been living in the tropics for nearly the past 2 years. Luckily I'm well insulated.
Old 05-20-22, 09:21 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
If you haven't checked out the website for the Empire State Trail, it has a ton of good info. Here's the section on Erie Canal section: https://empiretrail.ny.gov/map#erie-canalway-trail