Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

What computers or watches have cycling auto-record?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 05-01-22, 02:15 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2221 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts

I'm looking for a watch (ideally) for my wife that would simply auto-detect and record a ride without her having to push any buttons or do anything other than ride the bike.

My Garmin Venu 2 almost does this for cycling. It does what I would want in the case of walking/hiking/running, and records the walk/hike/run with GPS, allowing me to sync it to Garmin and Strava for example, but for biking, it detects and flags the activity, but it doesn't auto-record it.

I'm looking at Withings ScanWatch, and it looks like it might do what I want, but I think it relies on a phone for GPS.

I'm hoping there might be other options, but it seems like a feature nobody mentions in reviews. (I did find a review of the ScanWatch where a reviewer complained it auto-detected a trip in the car and labeled it as a bike ride, but that is the closest I have seen to confirming that it does what she might want.)
Old 05-01-22, 03:19 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
I would not want that as the watch would mistake many activities and always be auto-starting. PITA you ask me,. How is the watch supposed to know the difference between hoping on a slow moving city bus and a bike ride ?

Instinct is easy enough to start. You can set which activity is top of the list so when you press the activity button (upper right) then press again, the record starts.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 05-01-22, 06:12 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 2,298 Times in 1,110 Posts
I don’t know if any of the current Fitbit devices do this, but I seem to recall my Fitbit Surge having the capability to automatically detect certain activities. I have not had a Fitbit for many years, but in the day their customer service was quite good at responding to questions like this.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 05-01-22, 07:00 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Steve B.
I would not want that as the watch would mistake many activities and always be auto-starting. PITA you ask me,. How is the watch supposed to know the difference between hoping on a slow moving city bus and a bike ride ?
In the case of my Garmin Venu 2, which can auto-detect a ride, it is done I think with heart and breathing rate, and possibly cadence. I assume it doesn't fire up the GPS and record the activity in order to conserve battery life. I wish there was an over-ride setting for this.

Instinct is easy enough to start. You can set which activity is top of the list so when you press the activity button (upper right) then press again, the record starts.
It is remembering to press the button. (It even gets me about half of the time if I am using only the watch and not the bike Garmin.)
Old 05-01-22, 07:07 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
On some devices (old Lezyne series 10) it's an option in settings. I first came across the option with a wireless non-GPS computer, and it always failed to restart at some point, and I lost all the data, so I can't write about how well it does or doesn't work, and the manual is no longer available for me to check how to use the setting.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 05-04-22, 07:37 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I bought the Withings ScanWatch. I'll post back with impressions (still in the box for momma's day).
Old 05-04-22, 07:56 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
a few garmin watches were supposed to but the last one I tried it came up as a outdoor run. Apple Watch finally stepped up the game and will record and pause fairly well. but it will ask every ride if your riding. wearing a coat would stop me from clicking the screen. garmin may have improved in that in a couple of years.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 05-04-22, 08:47 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Apple watch 7 will auto-detect any cycling and save it to your activities. Having played around with it a bit I think it uses a combination of your current heart rate vs. your historic and resting heart rates, readings from the accelerator, and the GPS to differentiate cycling from running or being on a bus. You don't have to do anything, it will tap on your wrist to tell you it's recording your workout. It also has a crash feature if you fall or get hit by a car it can notify a coroner or whatever. I believe you can turn off 'start workout reminder' and it will automatically record without doing anything else.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/how...linst-in-2022/

Last edited by billridesbikes; 05-04-22 at 08:53 PM.
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 05-04-22, 08:49 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by billridesbikes
Apple watch 7 will auto-detect any cycling and save it to your activities. Having played around with it a bit I think it uses a combination of your current heart rate vs. your historic and resting heart rates, readings from the accelerator, and the GPS to differentiate cycling from running or being on a bus. You don't have to do anything, it will tap on your wrist to tell you it's recording your workout. It also has a crash feature if you fall or get hit by a car it can notify a coroner or whatever.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/how...linst-in-2022/
I always had to ok a ride. but maybe I didn't to do it for long enough. its not as accurate as my gamin when you pause for lights and such.
Old 05-04-22, 08:59 PM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
I always had to ok a ride. but maybe I didn't to do it for long enough. its not as accurate as my gamin when you pause for lights and such.
You can turn off 'start ride reminder' in the menu and I think it'll just start. What do you mean 'not as accurate'? For distance, HR, current speed? These three seem to match up well enough for me.
Old 05-04-22, 09:08 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by billridesbikes
You can turn off 'start ride reminder' in the menu and I think it'll just start. What do you mean 'not as accurate'? For distance, HR, current speed? These three seem to match up well enough for me.
it did not pause as well when I hit stop lights so my averages could be way off. plus I ride so much every day it was killing the battery. I do two 8 mile commutes then often 10 or more miles on the tandem. so the watch would need to be charged twice.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 05-05-22, 04:38 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

I realize this is too late for the OP as he has made his purchase, but in the event someone else is looking for this feature, I remembered that my Garmin Edge can be setup to auto start. I would suppose other Garmin devices can do this as well. https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webh...55733092F.html

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 05-05-22, 07:39 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Chuck M
I realize this is too late for the OP as he has made his purchase, but in the event someone else is looking for this feature, I remembered that my Garmin Edge can be setup to auto start. I would suppose other Garmin devices can do this as well. https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webh...55733092F.html
mosty gamins will but then you need someway to get your heart rate.
Old 05-05-22, 07:47 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
The Garmin edge can be set up to auto start. But leave it on while the bike 🚲 is on the rack while driving and improve one’s average speed.
Old 05-05-22, 10:10 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
The Garmin edge can be set up to auto start. But leave it on while the bike 🚲 is on the rack while driving and improve one’s average speed.
Most things are useful if you use them correctly but not helpful way outside their context. My house key lets me get inside, but try giving it to a thief!
Old 05-08-22, 10:56 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

The Withings watch auto-detected hand-washing as an activity: swimming. It dutifully uploaded it to Strava.

I think the auto-start on the Edge 530 just means you don't have to press the triangle button to get it to start recording the ride. It isn't like you can have the thing turned off or in sleep mode, hop on the bike, and it turns itself on and then starts recording the ride.
Old 05-09-22, 04:17 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

That's correct. I guess that isn't exactly what you were talking about. It still keeps one from riding off without starting the ride though which I have done since I don't have mine setup to auto-start. And I did that with my Forerunner on a run last week which I find aggravating.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 10-07-22, 05:17 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I bought the Withings ScanWatch. I'll post back with impressions (still in the box for momma's day).
This has to be the biggest let-down of anything I have purchased in recent memory.

It can't even keep time accurately (like the one thing any watch should be able to do).

It is beyond worthless for recording rides, either automatically, or manually. It works occassionally, but success is quite rare.

Today it claims to have detected a 4 hour ride at 8:30 pm today. It is currently 4:15pm. Maybe it can see into the future.

It looked like a good idea (a smart watch that doesn't look like one, has a small form factor, and uses the phone's GPS), but the implementation is so fraught with difficulties and outright failure that I would not wish this thing on my worst enemy.

Avoid.
Old 10-08-22, 10:00 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

EDIT: no low ballers, I know what I've got.
Likes For Seattle Forrest: