Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

South Texas Commuters -- Talk to me

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-08, 12:35 PM
bike2math

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any South Texas commuters here? Specifically Rio Grande valley. The family is thinking of moving there for a couple of interesting job opportunities. How is the commuting? to be clear I have lived in North Texas and found it quite nice (I was well outside of the metroplex).
Old 02-15-08, 12:39 PM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I'm in Corpus. I do just fine here.
Sorry, I don't know much about Rio Grande Valley, as I just moved here too.
Old 02-15-08, 06:37 PM
ShinyBiker
Pedaling fool

Bikes: 07 Schwinn Voyageur GSD, Next Avalon, 2007 Dahon Yeah

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I spent about 1 month there a while back. Just kinda took leisurely rides, no commuting.

It is very flat so you won't need any multi geared bikes. 3 speeds should do fine. It is really spread out with several mini metro areas (brownsville, mcallen, harlingen etc.) You've got a lot of shopping centers, sprawl, and the main commercial roads have wide shoulders, which is good.

You've got the highway which kinda parallels the rio grande (can't remember the number) and the one that comes down from the top (corpus/houston). These highways have access roads, but I would avoid them. It makes me nervous when cars get off these highways and go from 70mph to 30 or so.

Like I mentioned, most main throughfares have shoulders and should be the best for you. It's hot pretty much year round. Brush up on your spanish in case you get lost and need to ask for directions. Happy riding.
Old 02-15-08, 07:40 PM
Mr_Finster
Rather-be-riding...

Bikes: Merlin X-light, Surly Cross-Check, Bianchi Pista Concept 2006, C-dale RT1000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commute here in Houston, so not really south texas. Been commuting on and off for 15 years. Consistently commuting 4 days a week the last two years. No problems for me.
Old 02-15-08, 08:54 PM
carlton

Bikes: canondale silk trail--92 schwinn criss cross--sun atlas x type--fugi odessa--2018 trek domane ALR5 disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Basicly two seasons, summer and almost summer. After summer you will truely appreciate almost summer. It is extemely hot and humid in the summer. A 100 degree day in the DFW area will feel like an air conditioned room versus a 100 degree day in the Valley. Winter OOPS I mean almost summer is the best time for bike riding. Rarely freezes and if it does it will usually be back in the 60s or 70s by afternoon.

As Shineybiker said above the valley is spread out and flat as a pancake. Should be no problems commuting as long as you stay away from the main highways: US77, US83, and US281. Good fishing in the coastal waters if you like that. Try it in a kayak. Practice up on your spanish.

Did I mention that the wind blows and blows and blows and blows and blows until about july then it stops. Then it really gets humid, on top of being hot.

Out there in the real world this is no longer considered South Texas. It has been renamed Northen Mexico. Practice your spanish.

I don't live in the valley, but over the years my work has taken me there often. Been living in the south texas area all but about 3 years of my life. Those 3 years were spent in the DFW area. I like south texas better.

Good luck. carlton
Old 02-16-08, 07:23 PM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I just did a 40mi round trip ride. It was a very nice ride today. It was overcast most of the day, kinda windy, but not too bad.
Traffic here is very mild too, one thing I can trully appreciate, comming from N. Chicago. Come on down!