Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Got A Cross Check

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Got A Cross Check

Old 02-22-09, 09:00 AM
Random Rider

Bikes: Trek 7100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got A Cross Check

I have been commuting for almost a year on a Hybrid (Trek 7100) and through the winter as well. and I just got My Cross check in. I just rode it home and it's a big change lol. I was reading some people complaining it was heavy which means they must have been comparing it to some other bikes because to me it's way lighter then my hybrid. Anyways, it's pretty bare right now and I am looking for suggestions on what kind of rack/fenders to put on it. Also, even though i ride alot i am still pretty clueless about bike mechanics. Why does my hybrid have different gearing then the cross-check? Advice is appreciated.
Old 02-22-09, 09:07 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Compared to my tourer bike , my Cross Check in light. I think those who think the Cross Check heavy are race types. For carrying stuff, one needs a heavier bike. Usually , when commuting some where, speed / racing is hardly a concern.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 02-22-09, 10:02 AM
dirty tiger
Mostly Harmless

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratz on the Cross Check! I just picked one up as well, couldn't be happier.

Which color did you pick.
Old 02-22-09, 10:06 AM
Random Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got the brown. For some reason i wanted that. People told me to get the black but it's mine and I'm sick of black. Guess i'm an Odd Duck. Grats on your cross-check as well.
Old 02-22-09, 10:19 AM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
I have a CC, and I dearly love it.

Is it light? Well, for its type (steel framed CX bike) it is not all that light. I am not terribly concerned about it, given how I use it, but frankly it could be made of better tubing than it is. For the price, I think this would not be an unreasonable expectation of it. So, I consider the criticism of its weight to be legitimate.

However, its many virtues are real and substantial. That bike is practically my best friend.

jim
Old 02-22-09, 10:23 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
I had a mechanic go to bat for me.. I contacted Surly on my own. There were no red CC frames left. I told the mechanic at the shop I wanted red. He ordered red and I got red.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 02-22-09, 10:28 AM
dirty tiger
Mostly Harmless

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brown IS Down!

Originally Posted by Random Rider
I got the brown. For some reason i wanted that. People told me to get the black but it's mine and I'm sick of black. Guess i'm an Odd Duck. Grats on your cross-check as well.
I went with Beef Gravy Brown also. It's a really cool color, very masculine.
Old 02-22-09, 11:02 AM
crhilton

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The frame is a bit over 4lbs. That's not terribly heavy. But the cross check ships with pretty heavy wheels and inexpensive components. Don't blame the frame!

My cross check is heavy because I carry 6lbs of locks. Plus my stuff! I can still throw it back and forth up a hill which is more than I could say for the aluminum mountain bike I used to commute on.
Old 02-22-09, 01:56 PM
Random Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So any advice on Racks or fenders? I never got a rack with the other bike cuz i kept putting it off. I kept using my bookbag but that has got to come to an end.
Old 02-22-09, 04:24 PM
bugly64
Share the road.

Bikes: 1992 Rocky Mountain Fusion, Yuba Mundo, 2008 Brompton M3L, 2021 Espin Nero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Welcome to the Cross Check world. I have the dark green one. I bought it frame/fork and put it together over time.
Currently I rock the Topeak explorer rack with grocery bag panniers made by Detours and sometimes I roll with the trunk bag that came as part of the rack deal. I would suggest the Tubus logo rack. It has the pannier bar lower than the top bar so you can put a wide bag on top. I have one on order.
Old 02-22-09, 04:29 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1840 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 404 Posts
I recommend Planet Bike Cascadia touring fenders. Due to the generous clearances on the Cross Check, you'll need to come up with some creative solutions to make the fenders sit parallel to the circumference of the tire. This is purely an issue to aesthetics. See my signature for my solution.
Old 02-22-09, 05:36 PM
redvespablur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the dark green CC. Came from Jamis Hybrid and the CC was way lighter than that. My gearing was quite different going to the CC- I have a compact double Campy setup versus a pretty generic shimano thingy on the Jamis. Jamis I was always in the top gear and felt like it was not enough on flats, the CC rarely in top gear except for the descents. I just got a Brooks Flyer b/c my ass was missing the suspension seat post - the missing link.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.
Old 02-22-09, 08:52 PM
Caleab

Bikes: Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All you folks riding a CrossCheck...
I got a question. I'm in that (as someone stated in another thread) "selection paralysis" phase of hunting for a new bike.

I've looked at a few bikes that have the barend shifters (like the CC, another being the Masi Speciale Randonneur https://www.masibikes.com/tab4_subNav2.php )

How do the barend shifters work during in-town commutes? I'm concerned that I would be driving single handed most of the time (I feel like I usually shift alot to keep cadence).
Old 02-22-09, 09:46 PM
Mr_Finster
Rather-be-riding...

Bikes: Merlin X-light, Surly Cross-Check, Bianchi Pista Concept 2006, C-dale RT1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Way cool. I had a green one that I bought 4 years ago. Got hit on my way to work two weeks ago. Just got my replacement... another Cross-Check. Bummed that the green is no longer available, so went with black. Not a bad looking frame.

regarding accessories: any sturdy rack will do. Fenders: SKS 35mm are good, but if you need beefy tires, go with the wider fenders. I have attached quite a bit of reflective tape to the rims, crank and frame for night-time visibility (commute when it's dark). Suggest bright blinkies and strong head-light.

As for shifters, I still use down-tube shifters on my CC, unless I have it as fixed-gear.
Old 02-22-09, 11:32 PM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Caleab
I got a question. I'm in that (as someone stated in another thread) "selection paralysis" phase of hunting for a new bike.

I've looked at a few bikes that have the barend shifters (like the CC, another being the Masi Speciale Randonneur https://www.masibikes.com/tab4_subNav2.php )

How do the barend shifters work during in-town commutes? I'm concerned that I would be driving single handed most of the time (I feel like I usually shift alot to keep cadence).
I don't have a CC, but I do have bar-end shifters, and I love them. They do take a bit of getting used to, though. I shift a lot, too, due to my hilly commute, and I've noticed that if you hold on to the end of the bar while you're shifting, you still have a lot of control, and still get to shift pretty much at will. Also, get used to the friction shifting mode; it requires a lot less maintenance than indexed, and, once you become accustomed to it, allows for more efficient and nuanced shifting.
Old 02-22-09, 11:59 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So any advice on Racks or fenders? I never got a rack with the other bike cuz i kept putting it off. I kept using my bookbag but that has got to come to an end.
Delta Universal Mega Rack. Bombproof. My bags are Jandd Saddlebags...not a lot of room and aren't waterproof. Ortliebs would be the choice, but they're pricey. Worth it, though. Will be getting them for my tourer. My fenders are SKS Raceblades as I swap them from bike to bike as needed. They're not GREAT, but will keep the 'upsplash' off somewhat.
Old 02-23-09, 05:18 AM
hopperja

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 22 Posts
Fenders: without a doubt, Planet Bike Freddy Fenders. They are durable, offer good coverage, and fit well on the Cross Check.

Rack: I have a Jandd Expedition rack. It fits and works well on the Cross Check. It is a longer rack than most, so for those concerned about heel-strike issues (given that the Cross Check has shorter stays than a touring bike), the Jandd Expedition rack works well.

Given that, if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't even get a rack. In fact, I don't even use my Jandd Expedition because I got a Nelson Longflap and no longer need the rack (though I'm hanging onto it for now). I've done over 2000 commuting miles on my Cross Check, about half of which was without the rack but with the Longflap. I've found the Longflap is the ideal commuter bag (at least for me).
Old 02-23-09, 06:11 AM
mjw16

Bikes: IRO Model 19, Surly Crosscheck, 1989 Arnie Nashbar, Cannondale CAADX, Niner Air 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a green frame, it's about 4 years old and replaced the "blood red" one I had before. I have Planet Bike fenders and Dura Ace downtube shifters also, just replaced the drive train this weekend-sweet.
Old 02-23-09, 09:11 AM
Pscyclepath
LCI #1853

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Fisher Caliber 29er, Orbea Onix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Caleab

How do the barend shifters work during in-town commutes? I'm concerned that I would be driving single handed most of the time (I feel like I usually shift a lot to keep cadence).
I ride a grey '08 Cross-Check, with the "as issued" gearing and shifters. I really like the bar-ends. I dodn't think I would at first, but it only took a few minutes to fall in love with them. I ride it about equally in-town as my "city bike" and commuter as well as being my touring bike.
Old 02-23-09, 11:46 AM
JT52

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PSV-10, '00 Schwinn Moab 2, '01 Airborne Valkyrie, '04 Surly Cross-Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had my Cross-Check since '04 and it's essentially replaced my ti road bike as my bike of choice, simply because I can take it anywhere. Yes, it's heavier than my Airborne Valkyrie, but that's because I have a rear rack, a pack and fenders. When I take that stuff off for cleaning or whatever, it feels pretty reasonable.

As far as bar-end shifters, like a lot of folks posting here, I wasn't sure I'd like them but I was wrong. I find them remarkably easy to deal with - move hand, shift, move hand back, all in the course of a second or two. Plus you can feather the derailleur when the chainrings rub - I love that capability.

Cross-Check's a great bike, congratulations and enjoy!
Old 02-23-09, 02:20 PM
daveF

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a CC as well. I've used both a Jannd Standard rack & their Expedition rack. I like both, but the Expedition is definitely my favorite. It is about 3 inches longer & will hold a trunk better due to the extra length. I've used a generator taillight attached to both racks & some trunks will hang over the edge of the standard & put weight on the light.

As far as fenders, I have Planet Bike Hardcore 45's. They work ok for tires up to about 38mm. I would prefer something else. The Cascadias are definetly nicer.

Best wishes with the CC. I ordered mine as a frame/fork only & built it up. It has been in several different configurations from 9 speed (down tube shifters) road race, cyclo cross, & now it is setup as an 8 speed commuting bike with riser bars, fenders, rack, and B&M bottle generator & led lights. It may be a little heavy (as far as frame & fork), but it is very well built and versatile.
Old 02-23-09, 02:21 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I'm starting to covet a traveller's check. For purely recreational purposes, nothing to do w/ commuting.
Old 02-23-09, 04:35 PM
DrakeSuperbus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I put a Tubus Cargo rack on my Crosscheck. I picked it up from Wayne at TheTouringStore.com on the recommendation of many BFers.
Old 02-23-09, 06:23 PM
roseskunk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honjo's and Nitto.