Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.4

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.4

Old 10-29-21, 09:24 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3075 Post(s)
Liked 1,784 Times in 1,132 Posts

Second new pump head for the PFP 5. My only complaint with this pump is the distance to the gage. It is said that this pump head is better than original equipment. It is certainly more ergonomic. It's first pump went quite well. The kit even came with a new O ring for the plunger. It could prolly stand a new one every ten years or so. I put new grease on it while I was in there.
Likes For seedsbelize2:
Old 10-29-21, 09:27 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
I still hear about it.
In the early 90s I used the first gen Time pedals. Out on a ride I stood up to get up to speed after a red light and the right side pedal snapped off and I landed on my back, to the amusement of the other riders. OK, a fluke, we figured and Time gave me a new set, no problem. Couple months later I'm accelerating and I feel the pedal axle break but since I was sitting it didn't rip the pedal all the way off. I stopped and a friend went and got a car.

The local Time rep was concerned so he upgraded me to a more expensive set of pedals. Stuck them on my new bike and I was on a Sunday club ride and stood up to hammer and the right side pedal snapped off and I landed on my back in a bunch of broken glass and debris. When I tried to stand up I almost fell because the pedal was still clipped to my shoe and it slid on the pavement. My wife was there and she was annoyed at having to go back and get the car. The Time rep was worried about a lawsuit so he told the LBS to give me a set of another brand of pedals at his expense. I chose Look Delta pedals.

Haven't broken one of them but I was climbing a canyon and the pedal body came unscrewed and suddenly my foot was stretched out by the front wheel. Didn't go down and was able to thread it back together and finish the ride.
Likes For big john:
Old 10-29-21, 09:32 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3075 Post(s)
Liked 1,784 Times in 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I drink a lot of day old coffee. I wouldn't say it tastes fine to me but still better than water
I was given(sold) day old coffee at a donut shop one time. I don't remember which one. I complained, and she was completely unaware.
There used to be a restaurant out in the boonies that used the same grounds for three rounds. To save money. We found out this bit of info, having been served the third round
It was around then that I began carrying a small amount of instant, to stiffen up restaurant coffee. I recommend it.
Old 10-29-21, 09:32 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Just got done with a Zwift interval session on incline mode, rather than ERG. Yeah, so much better. I don't know what it is with ERG, but it's so unnatural that I can never get in to a rhythm and that's just detrimental to me trying to focus and wring out an effort. In fairness, this was a Sweet Spot session, so it was pretty easy overall, but the RPE for each interval was more in line with what I'd expect.
Old 10-29-21, 09:33 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11889 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,411 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Indeed. I haven't stepped up to the Crème de la Crème of coffee makers, so you can take this with a grain of salt. The Ninja with a ss carafe is pretty darn good, in my book.
Hey, a couple of those Ninjas look interesting for me, I'm investigating. I can't speak for Mrs. BD.
Old 10-29-21, 09:45 AM
WhyFi

Oh, and after a Zwift simulated ride yesterday, I decided that I wasn't really enamoured with that whole thing, either.

It, again, just doesn't feel quite right for me, on my trainer. Something about the inertia, or lack thereof, on the simulated terrain. Things like, if I'm going downhill and there's a little roller/bump, the change in resistance in the pedals is just too much and/or too abrupt - for me, that roughness around the edges takes it out of the realm of an immersive distraction and just makes it an obnoxious distraction, which isn't terribly fun.

Oh, and sprinting totally blows. For someone with snappy acceleration IRL and a power curve that skews to the short durations, it's a total wet blanket.
Old 10-29-21, 09:45 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,595 Times in 5,942 Posts
I still hear about it.
I had a near miss that would have been pretty embarrassing. I was rolling up to a stop light, and standing up getting ready to put a foot down, and squeezed the front brake just a bit too hard, when I wasn't braced for it, shifting my weight forward. I'd have gone ass over teakettle at 5 mph in front of a bunch of cars and other cyclists, but I managed to let up on the brake and shift my weight back and down, and come to a somewhat graceless stop.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-29-21, 09:50 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22507 Post(s)
Liked 8,829 Times in 4,110 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2

Second new pump head for the PFP 5. My only complaint with this pump is the distance to the gage. It is said that this pump head is better than original equipment. It is certainly more ergonomic. It's first pump went quite well. The kit even came with a new O ring for the plunger. It could prolly stand a new one every ten years or so. I put new grease on it while I was in there.
It's a total splurge, but that Hirame pump head is such a pleasure to use. I cannot recommend it enough.
Old 10-29-21, 09:54 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13636 Post(s)
Liked 4,445 Times in 2,468 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Got it. I wonder why they prefer SS carafes, we both prefer glass. Anyway, she was already familiar with the Technivorm but not sold on it. The Breville looks interesting, it's techy.

Considering how fussy she is about her coffee I'm not going to gift her one, she's going to have to make that decision herself. I mean, for example, I believe she's tried virtually every brand of coffee in the supermarket, looking for euphoria, or something. She calls it "discriminating". I can't deal.
Has she left the supermarket and explored local roasters?
Old 10-29-21, 09:55 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Just got done with a Zwift interval session on incline mode, rather than ERG. Yeah, so much better. I don't know what it is with ERG, but it's so unnatural that I can never get in to a rhythm and that's just detrimental to me trying to focus and wring out an effort. In fairness, this was a Sweet Spot session, so it was pretty easy overall, but the RPE for each interval was more in line with what I'd expect.
Looks like your intervals were at around 92 cadence. When using erg, just get your gear selected and cadence and let the system catch up. It should feel the same. In erg mode you can just chug along and the trainer will adjust power as the interval requests and there's no need on your part to do anything but meet the resistance the trainer makes.
Old 10-29-21, 09:55 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13636 Post(s)
Liked 4,445 Times in 2,468 Posts
That caught my attention, too. Same. I'm famous for drinking leftover coffee from yesterday, tastes fine to me. Sometimes she'll leave over enough that I don't have to make my own.
Does not compute.
Old 10-29-21, 10:12 AM
big john

Just shopping is at your own risk at Walmart anyway.
My ex worked for Walmart and she helped open and set-up a new store near here. I know retail sucks but Walmart attracts a certain breed of customer. The stories she would tell of people's rudeness and entitlement were amazing. Then there's the disgusting things they do in the store aisles. OMG.

She actually liked working for the company. The money wasn't very good but they treated her well, gave her a department to run and freedom to do it how she wanted. We also got good discounts on everything including tires and other car stuff. When she moved to the east coast they helped her transfer to a store there.
Old 10-29-21, 10:23 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by mvnsnd
Looks like your intervals were at around 92 cadence. When using erg, just get your gear selected and cadence and let the system catch up. It should feel the same. In erg mode you can just chug along and the trainer will adjust power as the interval requests and there's no need on your part to do anything but meet the resistance the trainer makes.
My cadence depends on how I feel and what kind of effort I'm doing. Sometimes it takes me a little bit of time to settle in to how I want to skin a particular effort. The easy 12 minute efforts? Yeah, low 90s is comfortable. The 1m efforts slightly above FTP at the end, though, I prefer to be slightly higher, closer to 100.

And I know that it should be the same and, with my penchant for hunting for the right cadence, ERG should be beneficial... but it just doesn't shake out that way for me. If my stop for a second to adjust myself and my cadence drops, the trainer'll jack up the resistance and I'll momentarily feel like I'm a sled dog, trying to break free some runners that are frozen in the ice. If my mind wanders and my cadence increases, the trainer adjusts, making it easier and I spin even faster until consciously slow down. But none of these are seamless and transparent for me, even on the micro side of the scale, so I'm adjusting, waiting for the trainer adjustment, then adjusting again. In dumb-dumb mode, if I need a little more power, I spin a little faster. If I need to adjust myself, I do so and then I spin back up. My cadence doesn't tend to need as much attention to keep from wandering, either, because it's more obvious to me that the effort is harder or easier. *shrug*

I'm not saying that others shouldn't use ERG, but it's pretty obviously not for me.
Old 10-29-21, 10:40 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22507 Post(s)
Liked 8,829 Times in 4,110 Posts
ERG mode is even dumber than running, IMO. It's merciless.
Old 10-29-21, 11:01 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4829 Post(s)
Liked 7,820 Times in 3,704 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
ERG is definitely unnatural. It forces you to put out X watts, regardless of your gearing/cadence/wheel speed...or die trying. Incline mode puts the control in your hands...uhhh...legs.
Old 10-29-21, 11:16 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28430 Post(s)
Liked 1,828 Times in 1,298 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
They have to have a "billing provider" which can be a doctor, a noctor, or a pharmacist. The amount paid by insurance is the same, regardless.
There is one of those.
Originally Posted by rjones28
Speaking of; last week I missed the Fall heatwave because of work. This week I'm missing out on the crisp sunny Fall weather because of injury*.
wut
Originally Posted by DougRNS
My posts are generally designed to enlighten and educate not to entertain.
They are failing.
Originally Posted by big john
My ex worked for Walmart and she helped open and set-up a new store near here. I know retail sucks but Walmart attracts a certain breed of customer. The stories she would tell of people's rudeness and entitlement were amazing. Then there's the disgusting things they do in the store aisles. OMG.
I go to Walmart every now and then and I am not rude or disgusting.
Old 10-29-21, 11:26 AM
big john

Originally Posted by Velo Vol

I go to Walmart every now and then and I am not rude or disgusting.
Obviously not everyone there is rude or disgusting but those that are stand out.
Old 10-29-21, 11:30 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8723 Post(s)
Liked 2,854 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
They are failing.

This shot of Roscoe is handy.
Likes For DougRNS:
Old 10-29-21, 11:32 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12634 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
OMG, I'm listening to the Southern Command Change of Command ceremony, and Milley just said ...Seamen, Marines, Airmen, Space Guardians...

Hearing military say that is going to keep me chuckling for a few years yet.
Old 10-29-21, 11:37 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2753 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,186 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
I've watched this multiple times and can't make it out. What is that sticking out into the corner/roadway? And why does the guy in front of you move towards the wreck and not follow the guy in front of him?
Jeezly crow was your bike ok? Which bike? (I shouldn't have watched so much lol)
Old 10-29-21, 11:39 AM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by LAJ
So you want to race crits?
No. No sir I do not.
Likes For ls01:
Old 10-29-21, 11:45 AM
ls01
he said member

Epic
That was on one of our, "Men's trips" to Kentucky. Lucky for me a guy crashed out the day before and loaned me a wheel for the next day. I couldn't get into 1st gear. Broke something internally in the shifter mech.and found the crankset was cracked at the pedal bushing when I got home. That little feet cost me easily over $600.00
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12634 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
And why does the guy in front of you move towards the wreck and not follow the guy in front of him?
Looks like he instinctively grabbed a heaping handful of brakes and just skidded right into the dogpile.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11889 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,411 Posts
Has she left the supermarket and explored local roasters?
I think yes to some extent, but I’ll ask. She’s on an organic kick lately. Why not, everything else is organic. smh
Old 10-29-21, 11:47 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4829 Post(s)
Liked 7,820 Times in 3,704 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS

This shot of Roscoe is handy.
Since adopting a young German Shepherd, I've come to appreciate dogs like Roscoe even more. Not so small that they are fragile and yappy, and not so big to take up too much space on the sofa...or eat things off the kitchen counter. Sport-coupe size.

My knuckleheads, Riley and Ranger...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.