Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

LBS --- Accept Checks?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

LBS --- Accept Checks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-22, 11:49 AM
Lambkin55

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Curcit is my main bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
LBS --- Accept Checks?

I just when to my LBS to pick up a wheel I had made. They told me they do not accept personal checks. They only deal in cash and credit cards.
Is this a new thing in the bike world?
Does your LBS accept personal checks?
Old 04-27-22, 11:54 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
People still write checks?
Old 04-27-22, 11:55 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
I just use my CC and lay it off for the cash back. Still it is odd they don’t take a check unless they et den burned too much. These days checks can be deposited over the ether. Do they take debit?
Old 04-27-22, 12:00 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
I can see this happening. Also many vendors do not accept certain kinds of checks and cards. There is a Pawn Shop here in central Texas that will accept all cards, cash, Bitcoin, and gold, even debt cards from Mexico, but not American Express...
Old 04-27-22, 12:04 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
About 6 years ago I made final payment (over $6K) for my super fly, custom ti road machine with a check. Builder/LBS owner gave me a 2% discount for paying that way.

That said, plenty of businesses no longer take check. Why would a LBS be any different from such businesses, especially if you are not a well known quantity? So many fraudsters out there these days.
Old 04-27-22, 12:07 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,906 Posts
i've had a lbs not take paypal or M.O. , but they'd take venmo & do C.O.D.
Old 04-27-22, 12:23 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Whatever the shop owner is comfortable with.
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 04-27-22, 12:23 PM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Lambkin55
Checks have by-and-large been replaced by electronic/digital payment methods in the retail world; it has little to do with whether the merchant is a bike shop.
Old 04-27-22, 12:26 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I wouldn't take a check from me.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 04-27-22, 12:37 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6936 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
People still write checks?
Cavemen write checks.
Old 04-27-22, 12:40 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
A lot of businesses still use checks for payables. But, there is usually a relationship history there.

If I had a retail business selling merchandise, I would not take checks. Too much opportunity for getting ripped off.
Old 04-27-22, 01:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,957 Times in 2,645 Posts
We don't take checks and my old shop didn't take checks. Checks are a good way to do fraudulent transactions. You can do a bank transfer or pay in cash these days or you have cards and apple/google pay and some places will also do things like PayPal or vendmo or cashapp.

I would not take checks from people if I owned a business I would much rather just have cash and make it easy peasy.
Old 04-27-22, 01:21 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
I just when to my LBS to pick up a wheel I had made. They told me they do not accept personal checks. They only deal in cash and credit cards.
I'm guessing you have just been released from a very long prison sentence right?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-27-22, 01:25 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Koyote
Cavemen write checks.
Hey. I resemble that remark. I pay two utility bills with checks. I also periodically transfer money from my checking account (where my pay electronically is deposited) to a brokerage account with Fidelity. Not really any other practical way to do that that I know of. The Fidelity office is a block from my office, so I don't have to mail the check. I just take a break from work and walk it over.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-27-22, 01:33 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 88 Posts
Checks really have no safeguards for the vendors that do transactions like these, unless you are willing to let the check clear before you take possession, plus they don't have the benefits of cash
Old 04-27-22, 01:54 PM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Hey. I resemble that remark. I pay two utility bills with checks. I also periodically transfer money from my checking account (where my pay electronically is deposited) to a brokerage account with Fidelity. Not really any other practical way to do that that I know of. The Fidelity office is a block from my office, so I don't have to mail the check. I just take a break from work and walk it over.
FYI Fidelity allows linking your checking account for EFT in/out, or if you're not comfortable with that you can make deposits into your Fidelity account via Paypal, Venmo, Apple Cash, or Square Cash.

See https://www.fidelity.com/cash-manage...obile-payments

... and back to the topic of the thread --it's likely so few people using checks at an LBS that it's not worth the expense of a check-verification service. and taking unverified checks would be foolish.
Old 04-27-22, 01:54 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
i also tried to pay once with an obsolete form of tender, except it was a couple of medium sized stone disks from the island of yap. wierdly they didn’t want those either?
Old 04-27-22, 02:20 PM
EviLDORK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Canondale Synapse, Canondale Touring 1, Salsa Mukluk, Masi Uno, Trek 850

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
I ended up paying cash every time, because using a debit or credit card at the LBS would result in deactivation of the card over suspected identity theft.
Old 04-27-22, 02:21 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6936 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Yeah, I'm just teasing. I still write a check now and then, too. But right now, I'm a bit full of myself: I got a new Apple watch, and just figured out how to do Apple Pay. My wife and I had dinner in a restaurant on Sunday night, and at the end I just waved my wrist at the card reader.

But I'll bet that you can electronically link your bank account to the Fidelity account pretty easily -- I've got that setup with my Vanguard account. Makes it super easy to make those transfers.
Old 04-27-22, 02:28 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
I can see this happening. Also many vendors do not accept certain kinds of checks and cards. There is a Pawn Shop here in central Texas that will accept all cards, cash, Bitcoin, and gold, even debt cards from Mexico, but not American Express...
I believe AmEx has high vendor charges. I had a company AmEx for expenses on the road in a past job, and got turned away from more than one lunch spot. Usually a small business.

I write the rent check and, ummmm, I think that's it, tbh...
Likes For Leinster:
Old 04-27-22, 02:58 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
I believe AmEx has high vendor charges.
This was certainly true in the past, but now I think their merchant card fees are more competitive. There are still a few small retailers over here in the UK that won't take AMEX, but it's much less of a problem than it was even a couple of years ago.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-27-22, 03:03 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Nope. Current shop doesn't take check, last shop I was at stopped taking them in probaly 2012.

Originally Posted by Rolla
Checks have by-and-large been replaced by electronic/digital payment methods in the retail world; it has little to do with whether the merchant is a bike shop.
^This^
Originally Posted by veganbikes
We don't take checks and my old shop didn't take checks. Checks are a good way to do fraudulent transactions. You can do a bank transfer or pay in cash these days or you have cards and apple/google pay and some places will also do things like PayPal or vendmo or cashapp.

I would not take checks from people if I owned a business I would much rather just have cash and make it easy peasy.
And ^this^.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 04-27-22, 03:34 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
Curious as to how some of you know that fraudulent checks are a bigger risk than bad CC's. Could be true, just don't see it in the rural areas I frequent. I'm a retired cabinetmaker that builds furniture to stay relevant. I can't go to a wood supplier that will take a CC, its cash or check and no ID needed. Wife and I RV for a few months each winter, there were 2 private campgrounds in west Texas that took only cash or checks. I've a friend that runs a small ice cream store/luncheonette here in northern NY, takes cash or check and if you've neither he says ok and to mail me a check when you get home. There's also a ATM almost everywhere now. Not standing up for anyone here, but some people just don't want to get involved in the electronic banking thing and giving 3-5% to the banking mafia. I use my CC almost exclusively but carry $50 or so in cash and a single check in my wallet all the time, just lucky to not have that skinny jean body so a wallet is still ok.

Last edited by Champlaincycler; 04-27-22 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-27-22, 04:06 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by gpburdell
FYI Fidelity allows linking your checking account for EFT in/out, or if you're not comfortable with that you can make deposits into your Fidelity account via Paypal, Venmo, Apple Cash, or Square Cash.
Where’s the exercise in that? It’s nice to get out of the chair and take a walk. Never get hacked that way.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-27-22, 04:10 PM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Champlaincycler
Curious as to how some of you know that fraudulent checks are a bigger risk than bad CC's.
I don't see where anyone said that the risk was bigger; it's mostly a question of the time and trouble it takes to get recourse when fraud occurs.

a wood supplier that will take cash or check and no ID needed.
private campgrounds in west Texas that took only cash or checks.
a small ice cream store/luncheonette here in northern NY, takes cash or check
I don't think the point was that taking a check is totally obsolete; it's just far less common than before.

some people just don't want to get involved in the electronic banking thing and giving 3-5% to the banking mafia.
Yup. But the dinosaurs eventually became extinct, too.

Last edited by Rolla; 04-27-22 at 04:15 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.