Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Any experience with Jamis frame replacement? I've discovered a crack in my 08 Aurora

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Any experience with Jamis frame replacement? I've discovered a crack in my 08 Aurora

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-10, 12:50 PM
IvanK-

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,

I took this week off to do a short summer tour and while preparing the bike, discovered a 3 CM crack in the seat tube where the seat stay is welded. The crack isn't in the weld, but about a 3rd of a CM over from it. More or less between the seat stay and the top tube.
So that has pooched any chance of a tour on my holiday. I brought the bike back to the shop yesterday. I hope there won't be any hassles. They have to wait for the Jamis Rep to come by and inspect the frame. I can't imagine that it would not be accepted as needing replacement.
Does anyone have any experience with Jamis for warranty frame replacement?

Sorry...should have thought to take a picture, but didn't.

Thanks for any info...
Old 08-01-10, 06:44 PM
mrpincher

Bikes: Broken Fuji Sundance 80's, Jamis Coda E, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jamis Coda Elite crack at carbon fork / drop out

I have a Jamis Coda Elite with carbon fork. Its a 2007 model. Nice bike for around town/ commuting, and I've taken it on short tours pulling a trailer. Two years after purchase I noticed cracking all the way around where the carbon fork meet the left side drop out - braking side no less. The cracking is only on one side of the fork. The bike tech took photo's of it and sent them to Jamis who replied that the cracks were result of "filler" (bondo) that had let go. The filler is used to smooth out the transitions between the carbon fork and the aluminum drop outs. ??So I'm told. No replacement was "deemed" necessary as it didn't affect the saftey of the bike. I try not to think much about it - it looks bad.

Jamis -1
Mike-0

I'm sure you'll have better luck as your cracking sounds more critical than mine. This cracking first appeared two years ago and has not changed significantly for the worse. BTW- the tech asked me if I was jumping off curbs. I was disappointed by that comment - I'm a 50 year old cyclist, I don't jump curbs, that's what all the handicap ramps are for, to avoid the need to jump off curbs. Right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1010140..jpg (85.2 KB, 95 views)
P1010139..JPG (95.4 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by mrpincher; 08-01-10 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Add Photo's & correction
Old 08-01-10, 08:45 PM
Aquakitty
Canadian Chick

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
You could just rent a bike in the mean time. I recently rented a tandem (good idea for anyone considering one heh) because my spouse and I were "Tandem Curious" Was actually surprised at the selection of bikes for rent. Ya never know might find something.
Old 08-01-10, 09:16 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mrpincher
I have a Jamis Coda Elite with carbon fork. Its a 2007 model. Nice bike for around town/ commuting, and I've taken it on short tours pulling a trailer. Two years after purchase I noticed cracking all the way around where the carbon fork meet the left side drop out - braking side no less. The cracking is only on one side of the fork. The bike tech took photo's of it and sent them to Jamis who replied that the cracks were result of "filler" (bondo) that had let go. The filler is used to smooth out the transitions between the carbon fork and the aluminum drop outs. ??So I'm told. No replacement was "deemed" necessary as it didn't affect the saftey of the bike. I try not to think much about it - it looks bad.

Jamis -1
Mike-0

I'm sure you'll have better luck as your cracking sounds more critical than mine. This cracking first appeared two years ago and has not changed significantly for the worse. BTW- the tech asked me if I was jumping off curbs. I was disappointed by that comment - I'm a 50 year old cyclist, I don't jump curbs, that's what all the handicap ramps are for, to avoid the need to jump off curbs. Right.
I'd be tempted to look for another fork. My first thought would be something like a Surley *steel* fork for roughly $120.
Old 08-01-10, 09:47 PM
IvanK-

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Mike. I don't blame you for being nervous. Fork failure is no laughing matter. Keep an eye on it.

I'll definitely post the final outcome.
Old 08-01-10, 09:50 PM
IvanK-

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Aquakitty. I'll look around...not sure I have the time to arrange the tour now.

On your other note, I'm trying to get my wife to go for a tandem....good idea!
Old 08-02-10, 06:13 AM
mrpincher

Bikes: Broken Fuji Sundance 80's, Jamis Coda E, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gerv- Appreciate your concern - too bad the manufacturer doesn't see it that way. Given the way carbon is said to fail, suddenly and catastrophically. Maybe it's time I take it back to the dealer for a review. The shop owner was quite disturbed when he first looked at it. Wasn't til' he got off the phone with Jamis that he started casting blame at me. A new fork is definitely in my future - one way or another. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 08-02-10, 01:05 PM
shmulb

Bikes: Jamis Satellite; Ellsworth Scant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife bought a jamis satellite a few years ago. Within 3 months we noticed a tiny crack at the seat post weld. The bike shop sent a picture to Jamis and 2 weeks later we got a new Quest frame (thats the next better model and lighter).
I have been searching for cracks on mine, but no such luck.
Old 08-02-10, 06:06 PM
IvanK-

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Shmulb.

Good luck to you...whatever that might mean.
Old 08-03-10, 03:01 PM
IvanK-

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sent an email to Jamis and they responded the next business day telling me to deal with my dealer and they would work with the distributor.

I hope everything goes OK. If all goes well, I can still get in a short tour in September.
Old 08-04-10, 12:49 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3671 Post(s)
Liked 5,423 Times in 2,756 Posts
A few years ago I had a Jamis Quest that developed rust around the bb junctions. Jamis was very responsive and I ended up with a nicer Eclipse frame for a small upcharge.
Old 08-04-10, 09:16 PM
IvanK-

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice. If they offer me an Aurora Elite for an upcharge, I'd be OK with that. Probably be a few bucks with the required disk breaks, but it'd be a nice option.
Old 08-06-10, 03:32 PM
IvanK-

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went by the shop today to see if there was any news. Nothing. They hadn't called Jamis yet. I'll have to stay on top of them.
In any case, here's a pic of the crack. Sorry about the poor quality, but I only had my Blackberry with me at the shop.
Attached Images
Frame crack..jpg (99.2 KB, 90 views)
Old 08-06-10, 04:25 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by IvanK-
They hadn't called Jamis yet.
That sucks. Offer to dial the phone for them, and then hand them the phone.

Better yet, send an email to Jamis, tell you them the dealer won't process a warranty claim for you, and ask them to call the dealer.
Old 08-06-10, 08:21 PM
IvanK-

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree it sucks, but I don't think they're being deliberately difficult. I think I just got lost in the shuffle.

It's one of those times where I said to myself that I wouldn't bug or chase them. I'd give them a week and follow up. I should have bugged them.

I'm sure they'll take care of it, I just wish they were more on the ball. I'm going to call them Monday afternoon to be sure it's under way.

I did email Jamis and they responded the next business day telling me I had to deal with the shop who would register a claim through the distributor.
Old 08-18-10, 06:23 PM
IvanK-

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good news: Looks like I'm getting a new frame! The shop told me it would be there in 7-10 days.

I'll be glad to be able to ride again. Hopefully still get in a shourt tour before it gets too cool.

If anything else of interest happens, I'll post again.

The only thing I didn't mention earlier is that the shop is charging $180 to transfer over all the old hardware onto the new frame. Seems fair. That includes front & rear racks and various bit & pieces that were never standard with the bike.
Old 09-25-10, 04:53 PM
IvanK-

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just under 2 months later, I've finally got my bike back.

Part of the delay was that Jamis sent the distributor a new blue frame, but my old bike was bronze. Luckily, the guy in charge of warranty replacemets at the distributor had a head on his shoulders and realized that a bronze fork on a blue frame would look pretty fugly, so he got Jamis to sent the new fork, as well. Many thanks to RB Inc. (the distributor in Canada).

I suppose I should also thank the LBS...the delay wan't their fault and they only charged me $100 for the complete rebuild.

So....here she is. Nicer than the original, in my opinion.
Attached Images
DSCF0211 (Large)..jpg (101.3 KB, 59 views)
Old 09-25-10, 07:04 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3671 Post(s)
Liked 5,423 Times in 2,756 Posts
Nice looking bike. Sounds like a fair charge for transferring your components.
Old 09-25-10, 10:19 PM
skilsaw

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Patience, politeness and persistence!
You managed your problem admirably.

12 years ago I had the weld between my chainstay and dropout break. The frame was 7 years old but Koga-Miyata had a lifetime guarantee on their frames. The dealer had a frame my size in stock. I swapped over the parts myself, and the dealer just charged me $25 to ship the broken frame back to Koga. A great deal.
My son rides the bike now, and I just purchased a new Koga.
Old 09-28-10, 09:00 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Glad to hear everything worked out, I also have a Jamis (aurora elite) for a year now, and no problems.
Old 09-29-10, 10:51 AM
Deanster04

Bikes: Cinelli Supercoursa 69, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Mondonico Diamond Extra 05, Coors Light Greg Lemond (built by Scapin) 88, Scapin MTB, Stumpjumper 83, Specialized Stumpjumper M4, Lemond Poprad 2001

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Fork Crack?

Originally Posted by mrpincher
Gerv- Appreciate your concern - too bad the manufacturer doesn't see it that way. Given the way carbon is said to fail, suddenly and catastrophically. Maybe it's time I take it back to the dealer for a review. The shop owner was quite disturbed when he first looked at it. Wasn't til' he got off the phone with Jamis that he started casting blame at me. A new fork is definitely in my future - one way or another. I'll keep you all posted.
I wouldn't worry about your fork. I have a Ritchey Breakaway Cross with a carbon fork. They didn't try and use bondo then paint around where the Al drop out meets the carbon leg like they did on your bike. The carbon isn't "cracked" but, there is a distinct joint line and that is just the way it is constructed. Jamis' explaination sounds reasonable. The dropout goes a fairways up into the leg and is glued securely.
The fork is in compression when your riding it and the drop out isn't going anywhere. Just check it for "looseness" and if you see the dropout is not glued in tight they you have a ligit complaint. The suggestion for a steel fork isn't a bad one if you plan on riding with front Panniers. I purchased a surly cross check fork for loaded touring but, I still use the carbon fork for most of my off road riding. I am 200 lbs and ride some pretty rough roads and single tracks with no worries (I do periodically check the Al dropouts just to be safe). I toured in the Alps last summer with the carbon fork...no problems.
The frame crack should be replaced...stress cracks in an Al frame are no joke.

Last edited by Deanster04; 09-29-10 at 10:59 AM. Reason: addition for clarification