Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike people humor, although a bit crude so view at your own risk...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike people humor, although a bit crude so view at your own risk...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-19, 10:43 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryan C.
Certainly falls in line with this thread.

Took two separate views to get the joke. BTW, I note your avatar, iconic of one of my favorite comedians.
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 12-14-19, 11:03 AM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Totally did this when crossing thru a college campus.....right in front of a cop. Ooops.

I was swaying that sucker back and forth like the last 200m on the Champs.
Good one.
I am no speedster and flew🙄 by one at 29 K.P.H..
Unfortunately it was in a thirty. I tried twice then pedalled home for a rest. 🤗😶🤗
Old 12-16-19, 08:47 AM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 3S1M
I had a feeling I'd take crap for that one. You just can't please people. I did it cuz I wanted to send it to people through my phone. Most people I know are on their phones much more than email or FB. And since I already had it on my phone I dl'd it to my computer. How about just enjoy the humor. I mean really. Some people would complain if you gave them money.

I don't go on websites on my phone too much. Too small. I'm not as dialed in as some people and I don't care. Not sure why that would bother you.
You don't deserve any crap.
This is a bike forum not a computer skills forum.
As long as you were riding your bicycle when you took the picture of the screen you are good to go.😁
Old 12-16-19, 09:11 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
I was at the funeral of a bike shop buddy and it was heavily attended by other bike types and I was preparing to make my remarks and out of good taste decided NOT to say anything about wondering who was gonna get all his neat bike stuff. That might have been seen as crude.
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Eulogy humor is a dangerous art form.
Probably the right call.
Regardless of our intentions or feelings, it is best to remain humble and considerate at any funeral. It's a funeral, not an pre-auction viewing. The family knows why you're there, to grieve and support. As time passes you may find that your friendship and love for the decedent and their family may be rewarded in one way or another, but it's nothing to expect. And many times something as small as a picture of the 2 of you together may mean more than any of the worldly things they possess.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 12-16-19, 09:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by AndreyT
The biggest humor here is the fact that some "bike person" apparently takes the concept of "screenshot" a bit too literally: they actually photograph computer screen using an external device...

Facepalm.

The biggest humor here is that some "posting expert" thought that was worth criticism. Did it make it harder for you to get the jokes?
Old 12-16-19, 10:33 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Regardless of our intentions or feelings, it is best to remain humble and considerate at any funeral. It's a funeral, not an pre-auction viewing. The family knows why you're there, to grieve and support. As time passes you may find that your friendship and love for the decedent and their family may be rewarded in one way or another, but it's nothing to expect. And many times something as small as a picture of the 2 of you together may mean more than any of the worldly things they possess.
I've been an adult for a long time now and am well aware of the need for decorum in certain circumstances. The point of my post was to inform an audience of bike crazies what could have occurred in a different audience of bike crazies and that I wasn't thinking anything that they weren't thinking. And if you guys had been at Joe's funeral and knew his fleet's details you'd have been thinking the same damn thing.
Old 12-16-19, 11:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I've been an adult for a long time now and am well aware of the need for decorum in certain circumstances. The point of my post was to inform an audience of bike crazies what could have occurred in a different audience of bike crazies and that I wasn't thinking anything that they weren't thinking. And if you guys had been at Joe's funeral and knew his fleet's details you'd have been thinking the same damn thing.

Defensive much?

Everybody is agreeing you made the right call, not sure what you think you're refuting here.

Gotta say, I've been trying to parse that second sentence and have no idea what that's supposed to mean.
Old 12-16-19, 11:39 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
I wasn't directing my remarks towards anyone, or trying to accuse anyone of anything. If you took my remarks personally, I'm sorry, they weren't meant as such.
Old 12-16-19, 12:09 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Defensive much?

Gotta say, I've been trying to parse that second sentence and have no idea what that's supposed to mean.
Nope.

Let me help you with that:
"The point of my post was to inform an audience of bike crazies (you people) what could have occurred in a different audience of bike crazies (the funeral attendees) and that I wasn't thinking anything (during the service) that they (the attendees) weren't (already) thinking (about Joe's bicycles and bike stuff)."
Old 12-16-19, 12:11 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
I wasn't directing my remarks towards anyone, or trying to accuse anyone of anything. If you took my remarks personally, I'm sorry, they weren't meant as such.
No prob.
Old 12-16-19, 12:22 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

So I guess after all the foregoing I should not also expose myself as being humorless and petty by pointing out that the shadow on the wall would also show his arms and the bike's handlebars and seat along with some of the frame, thereby diminishing the impact of the joke by cluttering the image. It would be better if we saw a more accurate depiction of the cyclist's shadow and a thought balloon above the wife showing the shadow in the cartoon as the response to his question. But I'm just being picky, aren't I?
Old 12-16-19, 12:23 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Nope.

Let me help you with that:
"The point of my post was to inform an audience of bike crazies (you people) what could have occurred in a different audience of bike crazies (the funeral attendees) and that I wasn't thinking anything (during the service) that they (the attendees) weren't (already) thinking (about Joe's bicycles and bike stuff)."

Still makes no sense. Why could it have happened? And if your point is we all have thoughts that are better left unexpressed at a funeral, well, d-uh.
Old 12-16-19, 12:38 PM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
Can't we all just get along? LOL.

No need for criticism of someones thoughts during a funeral in a thread about humor. I didn't think posting these would cause so much controversy. Otherwise I would've kept them to myself. My wife and daughter got a good laugh out of them as well as me.

Funerals are awkward affairs. Sometimes humor is good. It's a hard rope to walk. I remember my Pastor did a funeral about a year ago and he had made a pun during it that was probably not the best timing but his intentions were good. He can't help himself with the puns. And they are pretty funny. I'm sure some might have been offended and some might have laughed. I was in both camps. LOL.
Old 12-16-19, 01:49 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
So I guess after all the foregoing I should not also expose myself as being humorless and petty by pointing out that the shadow on the wall would also show his arms and the bike's handlebars and seat along with some of the frame, thereby diminishing the impact of the joke by cluttering the image. It would be better if we saw a more accurate depiction of the cyclist's shadow and a thought balloon above the wife showing the shadow in the cartoon as the response to his question. But I'm just being picky, aren't I?
You must be a lot of fun at parties!
Likes For Bryan C.:
Old 12-16-19, 02:53 PM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
So I guess after all the foregoing I should not also expose myself as being humorless and petty by pointing out that the shadow on the wall would also show his arms and the bike's handlebars ...
It appears that you completely missed the actual joke hidden in that picture. The whole point is in the very shape of the shadow on the wall. And the woman is actually staring quite intently at the shadow, while the cyclist is doing his yap-yap-yap.

Making that shadow more accurate would've completely defeated (or at least heavily obfuscated) the intent of the author.
Old 12-16-19, 05:52 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

It appears that you completely missed the actual joke hidden in that picture. The whole point is in the very shape of the shadow on the wall. And the woman is actually staring quite intently at the shadow, while the cyclist is doing his yap-yap-yap.

Making that shadow more accurate would've completely defeated (or at least heavily obfuscated) the intent of the author.
Sorry to disappoint you but I did not miss the joke. I understand the shadow and what it represents. The cartoon is almost good. It's almost funny.

Deconstructing humor is also a dangerous art form.
Old 12-16-19, 06:09 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Sorry to disappoint you but I did not miss the joke. I understand the shadow and what it represents. The cartoon is almost good. It's almost funny.

you committed the unpardonable sin of doing a "you told it wrong" then proceeding to "explain" how it would be funnier as a two panel gag for completely unfunny nitpicky reasons.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-16-19, 06:18 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by 3S1M
Can't we all just get along? LOL.

No need for criticism of someones thoughts during a funeral in a thread about humor. I didn't think posting these would cause so much controversy. Otherwise I would've kept them to myself. My wife and daughter got a good laugh out of them as well as me.

Funerals are awkward affairs. Sometimes humor is good. It's a hard rope to walk. I remember my Pastor did a funeral about a year ago and he had made a pun during it that was probably not the best timing but his intentions were good. He can't help himself with the puns. And they are pretty funny. I'm sure some might have been offended and some might have laughed. I was in both camps. LOL.
I think the best eulogy humor tends to be jokes that you know the deceased would've found funny.
Old 12-16-19, 06:31 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

you committed the unpardonable sin of doing a "you told it wrong" then proceeding to "explain" how it would be funnier as a two panel gag for completely unfunny nitpicky reasons.
I never said or implied two panels but you go ahead and imagine whatever you want.
Old 12-16-19, 06:39 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I never said or implied two panels but you go ahead and imagine whatever you want.
The thought balloon functions as a second panel but you go ahead and miss the obvious.
Old 12-16-19, 06:54 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

The thought balloon functions as a second panel but you go ahead and miss the obvious.
Single panel cartoon with speech balloon and thought balloon.
Old 12-16-19, 08:14 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

You described a thought balloon with an image in it showing how the woman saw the man. That would be a panel within a panel. The above is just a thought balloon with words in it. I find it amazing that you wouldn't get the difference.
Old 12-17-19, 01:51 PM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Looks like an underdeveloped version of the classic

Old 12-19-19, 11:17 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

So I guess after all the foregoing I should not also expose myself as being humorless and petty by pointing out that the shadow on the wall would also show his arms and the bike's handlebars and seat along with some of the frame, thereby diminishing the impact of the joke by cluttering the image.

It would be better if we saw a more accurate depiction of the cyclist's shadow and a thought balloon above the wife showing the shadow in the cartoon as the response to his question. But I'm just being picky, aren't I?
You must be a lot of fun at parties!

Making that shadow more accurate would've completely defeated (or at least heavily obfuscated) the intent of the author

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Took two separate views to get the joke.
I'm reminded of these photographs linked to a thread that introduced me to the term MAMIL...a more realistic depiction of the punchline:
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick

Originally Posted by tsl
Meanwhile, she's standing around in a hooker red mini-dress and Joan Crawford come-eff-me pumps.

Who's having the midlife crisis?

Please. As the saying goes, when you point one finger, you have three pointing back at you.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-20-19 at 11:42 AM.
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 01-16-20, 12:29 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.