Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Limited cleat mid foot position on cycling shoes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-20, 11:04 AM
reishi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I've been trying out a good variety of makes models and sizes of 3bolt road shoes lately and find the vast majority of them, even models with moveable screw hole plates don't allow the cleat to be postioned back anywhere near far enough for me.. The rear most set back I can get still has it in front of ball of foot. I couldn't image using any of these shoes with a neutral position would be like cycling on my tip toes. What say you? May be my feet abnormal? Is a toe over spindle position better for most cyclists? I been cycling wrong all this time? Do I need to switch to mountain bike shoes to get more setback?
Likes For reishi:
Old 10-18-20, 12:53 PM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
There are extenders which allow you to go further back for speedplay pedals and I'm sure I found some for Look pedals but I can't for the life of me recall where.

That said, I find that with a normally sized shoe (so not a lot of room in front) I am really comfortable somewhere, well, pretty rearward but within the adjustment range. The idea is for the pedal spindle to be roughly in the middle of the MTP joints for all around riding, maybe a touch to the rear.

Last edited by Branko D; 10-18-20 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-18-20, 01:59 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I use mountain bike shoes and found to get the cleats back far enough it was necessary to elongate the holes with a round file by quite a bit. If you can't modify your current shoes, then maybe mountain shoes it the path for you.
Old 10-18-20, 03:01 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I can get the cleats pretty far back on my Specialized and Scott road shoes, significantly less so on my Fiziks. So the shoe brand can make a difference. But there is also a bigger risk of toe overlap with farther back cleats, which is not a concern with MTB geometry.

Over at SlowTwitch, someone asked about https://mid-foot-cycling.com/ , but doesn't seem like they got any response when trying to contact the company.
Old 10-18-20, 03:25 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Yes, most cyclists have their cleats adjusted so that the ball of the big toe is over the pedal axle. I've had mine set that way for over 50 years with no ill effects, though I've not done a day ride longer than 18 hours. There is an argument for having the pedal axle a little further back than that, perhaps best made here: https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...leat-position/

My advice is to try not to flex the ankle during the pedal stroke. Try to relax the ankle and pedal with the heel cup. This reduces the strain on the lower leg muscles. Being able to do that should be easy if one's saddle height is set correctly: https://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitnes...t-how-to-25379

That's only an approximation, but a very close one. To perfect saddle height, one needs to ride and feel that one is developing good power at the bottom of the pedal stroke. Hogg has an interesting way to look at that, noticing the rearward acceleration of the knee joint at the bottom of the stroke: https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...ard-can-it-be/
Getting that right is probably what I'm feeling when I feel strong at the bottom of the stroke.
Old 10-18-20, 05:52 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
avoid midfoot cleat position, you are losing out on your calf muscle engagement the further back you go
Likes For Chi_Z:
Old 10-20-20, 02:25 PM
reishi

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hey thanks for the replies. I guess my cleats have been pretty far back ever since i went to clipless setup..ive been comfortable for 60+mile rides.. but my pace estimated on strava is only 16mph / 140 avg watt range on my usual rides with 1000ft of gain every15 miles.. i like the low, locked in feeling i get with the far midfoot position..but now i didnt know what i was missing with using a forward more position until this week. I settled with the lake cx241 model for a break in period.. so far i like the extra torque from a forwardmore position and the shoes fit much better than my old shoes which were probably half size to big. Acceleration and maintainoing a high cadence in a high gear seems easier all the sudden. I feel more soreness and strength in the front of my legs from the past few rides, probably from the new position, also maybe because of the tighter shoes let me get more power throughout the full stroke with minimal foot movement in the shoe. Maybe ill continue to get faster with this evolving setup! I may look into modifying these shoes anyway though so i can have the option of more range of movement.. Thanks again for y'alls thoughts about it.

Last edited by reishi; 10-20-20 at 02:32 PM.
Likes For reishi:
Old 10-20-20, 03:11 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Chi_Z
avoid midfoot cleat position, you are losing out on your calf muscle engagement the further back you go
I think removing the calves from the pedal stroke is the whole point of the midfoot cleat position favored by some triathletes.
Likes For PoorInRichfield:
Old 10-20-20, 07:22 PM
travelerman

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
I have the exact same problem, and have had to return more than one pair of shoes because they could not be adjusted back far enough, placing the contact point between the ball of my foot and my toes.

Giro shoes seem to work for me, but I still have to jam the cleat (Shimano SPD) all the way back on the size 45 shoes I've used successfully from them... Sidi is a no-go; I like their style options, but they won't adjust properly to my feet.
Old 10-22-20, 12:08 AM
svvv

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have drilled new holes in the past, worked like a charm
Likes For svvv:
Old 10-24-20, 06:58 PM
Hapsmo911

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Depends on what you are doing. If you are a sprinter or racing crits a more forward position is better as you engage the calf muscle more and can burst easier. A more setback pedal works well for people who prefer to breakaway or TT. It also engages more muscle groups. More rearward makes it easier to climb longer, and steeper grades. On the same climb with a more forward position the calf will tire and you will drop your heel after some time. That will causes you to lose the ability to stabilize the foot. Of course there are people out there that are fine with a more forward position. Lots of info on the web for this. Steve Hogg being one. Heres a good video for you

To answer your shoe question, Specialized shoes start with their cleat holes further back than most and have slots to move them very far back. I think Shimano S-Phyre shoes will go back 11mm.
Old 10-25-20, 06:32 AM
reishi

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Very good video! I watched some of that bike fitters channel last week, guy offers detailed advice. I was able to carve out the hole slots in my carbon soles back about 10mm using a sharp knife with a scandinavian grind.. I might go another 10mm, midfoot position is so juicy! The material shapes so easily too, it's like carving wood.
Likes For reishi:
Old 06-28-21, 07:46 AM
Dammy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reishi
Very good video! I watched some of that bike fitters channel last week, guy offers detailed advice. I was able to carve out the hole slots in my carbon soles back about 10mm using a sharp knife with a scandinavian grind.. I might go another 10mm, midfoot position is so juicy! The material shapes so easily too, it's like carving wood.
Hey, I recently bought the Lake cx241-x and I was curious about you might explaining to me how exactly you carved out the cleat holes? Also, did you experience any downsides to that Action? (Loose Cleat, broken Carbon Sole?)
Thanks in advance
Old 06-28-21, 01:25 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
There is a current trend with shoe manufacturers providing slightly more rearward cleat mounts. Shimano, Lake and Specialized seem to offer more rearward positions than most. Fizik have also recently started moving their cleat mounts a little further back on some of their latest shoes. I find a more rearward position more comfortable for longer endurance rides and sustained climbing, as others have already mentioned. I just slam my cleats all the way back as a default setting. It's still nowhere near mid-sole though. For mountain biking I wear flats and pedal a bit closer to mid-sole.
Old 06-28-21, 01:48 PM
Dammy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unluckily i couldn't find the thread you talked about :/
but in the end it shouldn't matter too much because I am probably going to settle with the Lakes. The Speci Ares I have here offer a more rear Cleat Position, but they feel too narrow. I hoped to get an awnser reagarding carving the Lakes because I prolly need a pair of Cleat wedges aswell, so I dont really want a Cleat Position Adapter + Wedges
Old 07-02-21, 08:02 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I purchased a pair of Shimano XC shoes and have my SPD cleats as far back as possible. This is more of comfortable riding position for me. However, my left foot takes more effort to unclip. My right foot is fine. I have the tension far down on both pedals. What can I do to make the left foot easier to unclip?
Old 07-03-21, 01:32 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I saw some Specialized shoes marked "touring" shoes with the cleat position about 1/2" or more further back than what I currently use.

I personally am used to a fairly forward cleat position.

I bought a pair of speedplay shoes that had 4 holes thinking I could use the rear two holes to mount my SPD cleats for an experiment, but alas, the hole positions were different. I may still try the experiment sometime.

If one determines exactly where one wants the cleats, it should be easy enough to simply drill new holes, although perhaps some dremel work to recess the cleat plates.
Old 07-04-21, 10:31 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by yashinon
I purchased a pair of Shimano XC shoes and have my SPD cleats as far back as possible. This is more of comfortable riding position for me. However, my left foot takes more effort to unclip. My right foot is fine. I have the tension far down on both pedals. What can I do to make the left foot easier to unclip?
I would make sure the recess on the shoe isn't interfering with your release. If you have your cleat way inside or way outside, I could see this possibly happening...