Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

jockey pulleys

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

jockey pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-22, 05:42 PM
southpier

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 41 Posts
jockey pulleys

how much trouble am i in?

i bought replacements which the description said were correct for my application, BUT i was sent 12 tooth instead of the original 11 t (replaced) pulleys. i have been made aware there could be ghost shifting.

should i stamp my foot and send those little suckers back? or ride it out and see if there's a real problem?*

*and then send those suckers back!
Old 03-21-22, 06:22 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,964 Times in 1,914 Posts
Originally Posted by southpier

i bought replacements which the description said were correct for my application, BUT i was sent 12 tooth instead of the original 11 t (replaced) pulleys. i have been made aware there could be ghost shifting.

should i stamp my foot and send those little suckers back? or ride it out and see if there's a real problem?*

try them out, verify the performance, & report back in this thread with your end results.

If they don't bind nor wobble excessively, they might be a nonissue.
Old 03-21-22, 06:32 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 346 Posts
You may have to adjust the 'B' screw to accomodate the larger diameter, but other than that you shouldn't notice any difference. Some friends of mine put larger (read=more teeth) on their MTBs because they believed it limited chain bounce and improved shifting while bouncing over rough terrain.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 03-22-22, 08:10 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Slightly larger der pulleys won't change the indexing points that the der (and its pulleys) is told to line up with (as told by the shifter and cable). But adding pulley teeth has some of the same effect as shortening the chain while at the same time decreasing the gap between the guide pulley and the larger cogs undersides. The "shorter chain" might have big/big cog/ring combos issues and the lesser gap might have pulley knock ones. What will be the case on any specific bike I would be hesitant to make specific claims about till I tried the pulleys. Andy
Old 03-22-22, 08:24 PM
southpier

i've got my fingers crossed. the chainrings shift no problem (on the stand) and thursday's predicted rain will give me time to get the rear derailleur's cable connected and given a few spins. if everything seems jake, i may even take the bike out for its trial run for '22.
Likes For southpier:
Old 03-23-22, 09:33 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts

The only possible issue is if the upper pulley was just about to touch one of the cassette cogs, and now with the larger diameter pulley it is hitting. And typically that can be solved with the B screw. Beyond that there should be zero issues.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 03-23-22, 10:58 AM
southpier

everybody is talking about this B-screw!

where might this alleged screw be located?

i ran the chain 'round & 'round by hand (crank) this morning in both chainrings and at the same time shifting the rear derailleur x hand and everything seems to be fine with the exception of a little, but consistent, vibration which i might be hyper-sensitive to since the pulleys i replaced were 7 years old and pretty worn once i actually looked at them.

thanks for the inputs through this ordeal!
Old 03-23-22, 11:51 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
everybody is talking about this B-screw!
Depends on the RD, on the back (as you look at it, but which screw is which and does what will depend on the RD you have (you haven't given any useful info like what you have, so no point in trying to guess)
Old 03-23-22, 05:06 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1940 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
Does using a one tooth larger tension pulley interfere with the bent tab (which acts as a guard) at the lower end of the rear derailleur's inner cage plate?
Old 03-23-22, 05:20 PM
southpier

no; as noted above everything seems to whiz right 'round with no hang ups. tomorrow when i attach the shift cable we'll see if that changes anything. forecast is for 1 1/2" of rain, so no time trials. and the kayak i ordered last august came in today so friday is probably not a ride day either.

the derailleur is a Shimano Deore XL (i think i've got that right - and i'm too tired to go back down to the garage and check. pulley wheels were Shimano Amazon.com : Shimano Deralleur Part Pulley 105/lx/deore 5700 Pr Upr&lowr : Sports & Outdoors.
Old 03-23-22, 06:50 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 346 Posts
no; as noted above everything seems to whiz right 'round with no hang ups. tomorrow when i attach the shift cable we'll see if that changes anything. forecast is for 1 1/2" of rain, so no time trials. and the kayak i ordered last august came in today so friday is probably not a ride day either.

the derailleur is a Shimano Deore XL (i think i've got that right - and i'm too tired to go back down to the garage and check. pulley wheels were Shimano Amazon.com : Shimano Deralleur Part Pulley 105/lx/deore 5700 Pr Upr&lowr : Sports & Outdoors.
If you can push the rear DR all the way in towards the spokes and the pulley wheel doesn't hit up against the largest cog, don't worry about the 'B' screw.