Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

DI2 junction box Under the Stem vs bar end

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-20-20, 05:11 PM
Captain_Canada

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Is one better than the other? I don't really like the looks of the under the stem box/rubber band.

Also, with the bar end box available, why do some manufacturers go through the trouble of bringing the box into the frame? Danger of the bar end getting knocked in a crash?

I've never had electronic shifting but am thinking of my next bike.
Likes For Captain_Canada:
Old 06-20-20, 06:07 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
I have the 6800 version of Di2 (previous version) and have the external junction box because the bar end wasn't available. I'd go with the bar end if I were purchasing now.

I got one of these to clean up my stem.
Di2 mount
Likes For MidTNBrad:
Old 06-20-20, 06:40 PM
eflayer

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
the evolution of di2

2019 Roubaix is the bar end. 2020 Roubaix is integrated into the molding of the frame and now in the downtube. under the stem is first phase and the least aesthetically please but maybe the easiest to deal with if any wrenching is needed.

Last edited by eflayer; 06-20-20 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-20-20, 07:35 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain_Canada
Is one better than the other? I don't really like the looks of the under the stem box/rubber band.

Also, with the bar end box available, why do some manufacturers go through the trouble of bringing the box into the frame? Danger of the bar end getting knocked in a crash?

Putting the A Junction into the bar end is reasonably out of the way, except when I think how many times I’ve knocked off a bar end cap. As well the h-bar needs holes to allow cables to route to the downtube, so handlebar purpose designed.
Old 06-21-20, 03:09 AM
Falchoon

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Stem mounting is a lot cheaper. Bar end is more aesthetically pleasing. If I had a choice and they both cost the same then I would go for bar end.
Likes For Falchoon:
Old 06-21-20, 05:13 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain_Canada

If this were my case I would look for bikes that had the box located in the frame
Old 06-21-20, 10:29 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
I run bar end but stem mount is much easier if you have to trouble shoot.
Old 06-21-20, 01:36 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
If I had the choice I'd go with the bar end. Just looks nicer.
Old 06-21-20, 04:04 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
Bar end junction boxes exist due to the nastiness of the under the stem version.
Likes For Noctilux.95:
Old 06-21-20, 05:05 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
How much does it cost to change over? Or is that only possible on newer versions?

I actually like the junction box under the stem. Di2 has been out for a long time, it used to always be under the stem ... I've seen so many nicer bikes than mine and many of them had that tell tale band holding the junction box in place. Feels like I've arrived or something.

But everything is set up nicely, and I bet that extra stuff costs me a few watts. It's not like I'm going to be getting many more as I age. Need every advantage I can get until the day I need an eBike to crash Strava KOMs.
Old 06-21-20, 05:11 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Noctilux.95
Bar end junction boxes exist due to the nastiness of the under the stem version.
Never heard it referred to that way. “Nasty ?”. I know some folks don’t like it as it’s not a clean look. On some stems the band is noticeable and I guess that bothers people, but there are mounts that replace a few stem spacers, so cleans that part up. I have no issue as my bar is cluttered with a front light and my Garmin mount, so the A Junction is hardly noticed. If I didn’t have a Garmin which shows me what gears I’m in, I would use the XT stem display.

But everybody has things they like or not.
Old 06-21-20, 07:04 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by eflayer
2019 Roubaix is the bar end. 2020 Roubaix is integrated into the molding of the frame and now in the downtube. under the stem is first phase and the least aesthetically please but maybe the easiest to deal with if any wrenching is needed.
I wondered how that worked, mounted into the frame. This looks practical, with all the junction wires in the frame and it's easily serviceable with removing one screw.

You can easily see the status lights while riding.
I do check the charge level on my 6800 under stem box. Just hold a shift button for more than a second and the box shows four levels of charge: green: 100-50%, blinking green: 50-25%, red:25% to minimal, blinking red: almost out.

I recharge soon after it shows blinking green. No need to let it run down farther. I just installed a replacement seatpost battery, after 5 1/2 years. The old one still worked, but it had to be recharged quite often.

Di2 was stupidly expensive back in Sept 2014, when I got the new bike. But it's been worth it, I really like the instant, drama free shifting. And the shifters and derailleurs are working like new. No noticeable wear in the derailleur pivots and it still shifts perfectly.

Last edited by rm -rf; 06-21-20 at 07:13 PM.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 06-21-20, 11:37 PM
bahula03

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
The only real function difference between the SM-EW90A/B (under stem) and EW-RS910 (bar end/frame) is the number of ports, 3 or 5 for the SM-EW90 and 2 for EW-RS910, which only matters if you're adding accessories like sprint shifters or the climbing shifter...and don't have open ports on your levers.

Like others have mentioned, the EW-RS910 requires bars that have holes to route the wires, so you're constrained by that for upgrades/different sizes. Some
manufacturers will use the EW-RS910 and route the wires through both the bars and stem, which means having to find both components that are compatible. None of it's a big deal really, just preference on what it looks like, supporting components, and how easy/difficult it is to install.
Likes For bahula03:
Old 06-22-20, 07:25 PM
jmess

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Something Different

I really like my the SC-MT800 System Display installed on my Bianchi XR4. The display has 3 Di2 ports and clamps to my handles bars.You can get one from Universal Cycles for $90. It works perfectly with the Road Di2 components. The display comes on every time you shift or touch the mode button. I have the display timer set to 30 seconds ( via e-tube-project configuration). I was having problems with my Di2 battery being run down by a Shimano Di2 inline Bluetooth module, it wasn't shutting off at times. The MT800 connects to my phone or Garmin 1030 with no problems. Firmware updates are easy via e-tube-project.
The SC-MT800 System Display is the brains of Shimano's XT Di2 electronic mountain groupset, allowing you to view data, control settings, and connect to the E-Tube Project application to customize your shifting preferences. Bluetooth and ANT+ enabled, the MT800 system display wirelessly connects to smart devices and cycling computers for seamless operation and control anywhere you go.
Details:
  • Displays system status of: battery level, gear position, shift mode and FOX iRD suspension position
  • Toggle audible shift notification chimes
  • Toggle between three Shimano Synchronized Shift modes available (S1/S2/Manual)
  • Digitally adjust front and rear derailleurs and provide numerical adjustment indicator
  • Wireless ANT / Bluetooth communication for customization and data utilization in the field with a smartphone, tablet, and other mobile electronics
  • Battery charging port
  • 3 E-Tube ports
  • D-Fly compatible
Old 06-22-20, 08:14 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
bar end is the way to go, but if you have older handle bar you have to drill out a hole
Likes For Chi_Z:
Old 06-23-20, 02:18 AM
TerryDi2C
Di2 fanatic

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by jmess
I really like my the SC-MT800 System Display installed on my Bianchi XR4. The display has 3 Di2 ports and clamps to my handles bars.You can get one from Universal Cycles for $90. It works perfectly with the Road Di2 components. The display comes on every time you shift or touch the mode button. I have the display timer set to 30 seconds ( via e-tube-project configuration). I was having problems with my Di2 battery being run down by a Shimano Di2 inline Bluetooth module, it wasn't shutting off at times. The MT800 connects to my phone or Garmin 1030 with no problems. Firmware updates are easy via e-tube-project.
The SC-MT800 System Display is the brains of Shimano's XT Di2 electronic mountain groupset, allowing you to view data, control settings, and connect to the E-Tube Project application to customize your shifting preferences. Bluetooth and ANT+ enabled, the MT800 system display wirelessly connects to smart devices and cycling computers for seamless operation and control anywhere you go.
Details:
  • Displays system status of: battery level, gear position, shift mode and FOX iRD suspension position
  • Toggle audible shift notification chimes
  • Toggle between three Shimano Synchronized Shift modes available (S1/S2/Manual)
  • Digitally adjust front and rear derailleurs and provide numerical adjustment indicator
  • Wireless ANT / Bluetooth communication for customization and data utilization in the field with a smartphone, tablet, and other mobile electronics
  • Battery charging port
  • 3 E-Tube ports
  • D-Fly compatible
hah, nice - I installed one too (bought to help a user that was having problems pairing theirs).

Personally I don't see the use of this unit on a road bike, but that is just my opinion (I already have my Wahoo that displays the same data). It is perfectly fine to have a different opinion

That said, there are a couple of things I do like:
  • The audible shift notification chimes are pretty neat.. It beeps when I'm at either end of the cassette and also right before a (full) synchro shfit.
  • The button seems to work better than the one on my SM-EW90-A (not installed the EW-RS910 yet... soon..)
  • Because it's a display it is easier to tell the battery level, current shift mode and 'adjustment mode'. It also tells you the current RD / FD adjustment value

It'll probably stay on my second bike, because my EW-WU111 is moving to my new bike (Bowman Palace 3) soon.

The "D-fly compatible" in jmess' list means that this will do the same as a D-fly (BluetoothLE and ANT) - you can not install both this and a D-fly on the same bike (only one wireless capable device per Di2 bike allowed).
Likes For TerryDi2C:
Old 06-24-20, 04:01 PM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Chi_Z
bar end is the way to go, but if you have older handle bar you have to drill out a hole
Or, apparently, if you have Most Talon bar stem combo. Just bought some to replace the Metron 6D which has the hole pre drilled, but didn’t fit with the f8 frame very well.

I was surprised the Most didn’t have it. The drilling is no big deal though. I have had the shop do it on a pair of FSA and Deda. Both carbon. And now the Most which is almost finished.

Rs-910 is the only way to go imo. And as I said drilling the hole isn’t a big thing.
Old 06-26-21, 04:32 PM
avhed

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bahula03

Like others have mentioned, the EW-RS910 requires bars that have holes to route the wires, so you're constrained by that for upgrades/different sizes. Some manufacturers will use the EW-RS910 and route the wires through both the bars and stem, which means having to find both components that are compatible. None of it's a big deal really, just preference on what it looks like, supporting components, and how easy/difficult it is to install.
I guess I need 31.8 diameter bars?
Old 06-26-21, 09:13 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
How about inside the stem?
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 06-27-21, 08:42 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
You could always go with SRAM E-tap and just forget about all the wires and junction boxes.
I have a bike with Di2 and went with the bar end box with handlebars designed for internal wiring, but to be honest, if I were to build another bike (as soon as I hit the lottery) I'd either go SRAM wireless, or wait to see if Shimano goes that route.
Likes For Bald Paul: