Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Buying a Crankset-Based Power Meter These Days

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-27-20, 01:50 PM
Metallifan33

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts

So, for various reasons, I'm in the market for a crankset-based, dual-sided, PM (Shimano compatible). I've looked for
  1. Pioneer - They shut down their op and sold to Shimano earlier this year apparently. ("out of stock. Discontinued")
  2. 4iiii - Every option is "out of stock"
  3. Stages - You guessed it; "out of stock"
  4. Shimano - I've heard there are some issues (from GP Llama specifically).
At this point, I'm thinking I'm just going to have to wait it out, but I thought I'd check here and see if you guys have any ideas.
I'm looking for dual power and Shimano compatible. The bike is a 2020 Domane (with the newer style BB).
Thanks!
Old 09-27-20, 01:57 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Several of my friends LOVE their Power2Max crank-based PM.

I am suspecting that the global pandemic is affecting supply chains and making it tough to find much of anything.
Old 09-27-20, 02:07 PM
Metallifan33

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas

I am suspecting that the global pandemic is affecting supply chains and making it tough to find much of anything.
Thanks datlas ! I'll check 'em out.
Old 09-27-20, 02:13 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I have a pile (ok, trio) of Quarq DZeros and DFour91s that have been flawless, and apparently available in DUB format through Competitive Cyclist at least. You'd need the spider and arms, and make sure to get a compatible bottom bracket if you go that way, but it's my first choice in PMs.
Old 09-27-20, 05:07 PM
Princess_Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Have you tried Powermetercity.com ? I just bought a Stages gen3 R7k 105 a week ago.
Likes For Princess_Allez:
Old 09-27-20, 05:15 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Power2Max or Quarq. You don't really need dual-sided so much as you want full power (as opposed to the double of one side). P2M (and Quarq, I assume) can give you quasi-dual-sided (it costs a little extra coin for P2M) but I don't see much value in it.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-27-20, 06:00 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I'll third Power2max. Not from personal experience, I went with pedals for reasons that don't apply to you. But I did my homework and P2M was a better choice in several ways that probably do apply to you.

And @WhyFi is right about total power being measured vs dual sided. I'll cosign that advice too.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-27-20, 06:55 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Quarq can give pseudo-balance, yes. But also yes, you don't actually care. Unless you're rehabbing a serious injury, it's a non-factor. You do care about total power, and I do think a single spider PM is better than two crankarms for that purpose.
Old 09-28-20, 07:49 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Used SRMs are always an option too.
Old 09-28-20, 08:30 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Is the Easton Cinch any good? I have one, and it seems fine, but I don't really know anything about powermeters.
Old 09-28-20, 08:48 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10143 Post(s)
Liked 5,832 Times in 3,140 Posts

May I be your friend? I love mine too. They are Shimano compatible, multiply configurable (4 and 5 bolt) relatively cheap, and available.
Old 09-28-20, 08:55 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
May I be your friend? I love mine too. They are Shimano compatible, multiply configurable (4 and 5 bolt) relatively cheap, and available.
We can still be friends.
Old 09-28-20, 08:58 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,318 Times in 671 Posts
we can still be friends.
+1 p2m
Old 09-28-20, 08:58 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,318 Times in 671 Posts
+1 p2m
Old 09-28-20, 09:01 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I'll third Power2max. Not from personal experience, I went with pedals for reasons that don't apply to you. But I did my homework and P2M was a better choice in several ways that probably do apply to you.

And @WhyFi is right about total power being measured vs dual sided. I'll cosign that advice too.
Has anyone come out with powermeter pedals that work with SPD yet? I really like may Campy triple with square taper bottom bracket and no one seems to make crank-based meters that work with that.
Old 09-28-20, 09:05 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Has anyone come out with powermeter pedals that work with SPD yet? I really like may Campy triple with square taper bottom bracket and no one seems to make crank-based meters that work with that.
That's the question. I bet they'd sell a lot if they were priced competitively. I'd probably buy 2 pairs.

Shimano needs to get on that ASAP. Especially since they pretty much ruined any crank-based powermeter used on their 4 arm designs.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 09-28-20, 09:09 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Apparently there is a hack/bodge you can do with Assiomas to retrofit onto SPD, I imagine there is a YouTube video that shows you how. I don't think anyone has an off-the-shelf version yet though.
Old 09-28-20, 09:10 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
The only ones I've seen IRL are the assioma duo xpedo hacks.
Old 09-28-20, 09:11 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
That's the question. I bet they'd sell a lot if they were priced competitively. I'd probably buy 2 pairs.
You and me both.
Old 09-28-20, 09:25 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 1,130 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Unless you're rehabbing a serious injury, it's a non-factor.
I've never understood how one would use that information even if rehabbing from a serious injury. I've had to rehab from two semi-serious injuries over the years that I've had a (total power measuring) power meter and I'm not sure how that information would have helped. Can you explain? I also have a friend who had to have one leg amputated slightly above the knee. How could he have used specfiic sided information to aid his rehab?

[Edited to add:] Both injuries left me with obvious bilateral asymmetries. One involved sciatica, which weakened my entire right leg and foot. The other involved a bike accident, where I received brain trauma and significant losses on my left side (but, unhappily, also broke my right ankle). I had power data prior to each incident, so I could see a huge loss in my total power (in addition to the obvious difficulty walking up stairs or being able to control my bad leg and foot). In each case, when I was able to get back on the bike, I just worked on returning my total power to where it was, and walking up and down stairs without dragging the bad foot.

Last edited by RChung; 09-28-20 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-28-20, 09:50 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by RChung
I've never understood how one would use that information even if rehabbing from a serious injury. I've had to rehab from two semi-serious injuries over the years that I've had a (total power measuring) power meter and I'm not sure how that information would have helped. Can you explain? I also have a friend who had to have one leg amputated slightly above the knee. How could he have used specfiic sided information to aid his rehab?
This is a good point. Presumably, riders with two legs would set progressive targets for the weak side and monitor progress.

Anecdotally, I’m a neurologist with a research background in neurorehabilitation and partial atrophy of the left quad from an old disc herniation. All I do is force myself to use that leg hard on the bike and in the gym and watch the bulk come slowly back over the years.
Old 09-28-20, 10:23 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
This is a good point. Presumably, riders with two legs would set progressive targets for the weak side and monitor progress.

Anecdotally, I’m a neurologist with a research background in neurorehabilitation and partial atrophy of the left quad from an old disc herniation. All I do is force myself to use that leg hard on the bike and in the gym and watch the bulk come slowly back over the years.
Plus, that gives you a handy-dandy excuse for cycling mediocrity. Got one for me??

Back on topic, I agree that the dual sided data is probably not actionable so of very little value other than "knowing" your efficiencies. It won't change anything. I know someone who works for a certain company that rhymes with "ages" and he admits that they sell double-sided meters purely for customer satisfaction, and that single sided are all anyone really needs.
Likes For datlas:
Old 09-28-20, 10:39 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Plus, that gives you a handy-dandy excuse for cycling mediocrity. Got one for me??.
Haha, Don't forget I'm ten years older than you are too.

How about, your genetics are associated with other, more real-world-fitness-promoting, traits and you'll dance on all of the fast peoples' graves?

Actually, at >7000 mi/yr, you don't need many excuses.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 09-28-20 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-28-20, 11:02 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by kingston
The only ones I've seen IRL are the assioma duo xpedo hacks.
That looks like a decent (and relatively affordable) idea. Hadn't see that before, thanks.
Old 09-28-20, 11:07 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by RChung

[Edited to add:] Both injuries left me with obvious bilateral asymmetries. One involved sciatica, which weakened my entire right leg and foot. The other involved a bike accident, where I received brain trauma and significant losses on my left side (but, unhappily, also broke my right ankle). I had power data prior to each incident, so I could see a huge loss in my total power (in addition to the obvious difficulty walking up stairs or being able to control my bad leg and foot). In each case, when I was able to get back on the bike, I just worked on returning my total power to where it was, and walking up and down stairs without dragging the bad foot.
Are you asking what I would do, or are you passive-aggressively setting up the expectation for having a peer-reviewed journal study?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.