Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Perfect shifting in the stand - Riding says otherwise..?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-20, 11:35 AM
ARKerslake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Good morning/afternoon/evening,

So, my first build, my 1997 rockhopper. Now a 1x8 (Claris RD + Shifters)

I've finally sorted the gearing/brakes - or at least i thought i had them sorted. It was shifting near enough perfectly in my hanger so i was chuffed to bits that it was working. In my enthusiasm i took it down and rode it down my street and back. I was disappointed to discover that in the smallest cog the chain skips when you put any remote amount of power into the pedal. It shifts down into that gear perfectly but as i say it doesnt seem to want to stay there. To clarify it doesnt jump out of the gear it just skips a few teeth or something idk.

The chain line looks okay to me, the chain ring up front looks to line up roughly with the middle of the cassette as youtube has told me it should, and the RD looks to be comfortable. However i have spacers to move the chainring further away from the BB to make it line up more with the little cog - or i just put the chainring on the outside of the crank as oppose to the inside where it is now.

Please cycling mechs of the internet, shed some light for me!

Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-20, 11:54 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Sounds like either a new chain and old cassette or the opposite...OR a little tight on the high limit. More likely one part is worn and the other isn't.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 12-31-20, 12:01 PM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
This does happen and is the reason why I always test drive each bicycle after I do any work. What works fine on the lift does not always work so well on a test drive. I suggest you measure the chain to see if it is worn and if it is change it and the gear sprocket. It could also be a new chain was used with an old gear sprocket and this will cause skipping, especially in the smallest cog. Finally, it could be the high limit screw needs adjustment or it could even be the shifter cable is sticking which does not allow the derailleur to move all the way to the smallest cog.
Likes For ARider2:
Old 12-31-20, 12:07 PM
ARKerslake

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Sounds like either a new chain and old cassette or the opposite...OR a little tight on the high limit. More likely one part is worn and the other isn't.
It is a brand new chain, and a not so new cassette yes. would it just be the worn teeth on the cog letting it slip out?

Presumably theres no fix other than buying a new cassette :s
Old 12-31-20, 12:42 PM
ARider2

Originally Posted by ARKerslake
It is a brand new chain, and a not so new cassette yes. would it just be the worn teeth on the cog letting it slip out?

Presumably theres no fix other than buying a new cassette :s
Yes, this is the classic case of a new chain with an old cassette. Replace the cassette and your problem will be solved. You may be able to just replace the small cog if that is the only gear where skipping occurs, but often the cost of one cog is nearly as much as a new cassette.
Likes For ARider2:
Old 01-01-21, 10:11 AM
ARKerslake

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ARider2
Yes, this is the classic case of a new chain with an old cassette. Replace the cassette and your problem will be solved. You may be able to just replace the small cog if that is the only gear where skipping occurs, but often the cost of one cog is nearly as much as a new cassette.
UPDATE - okay so i just looked at my cassette and it might be old but it's not actually that worn at all! I looked at a new one by comparison and it looks hardly used. I think it must be the chain line pulling slightly over onto the 2nd cog so i will fit a 2mm spacer on the BB and see if that helps without messing up the 8th cog.

I would post photos but im new still so im not allowed
Old 01-01-21, 10:29 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
You cannot tell from looking. New cassette first.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 01-01-21, 10:34 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Derailleur hanger aligned?
Likes For dedhed:
Old 01-01-21, 10:35 AM
ARKerslake

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
as best as i can get it
Old 01-01-21, 10:36 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,579 Times in 1,221 Posts
When derailleur adjustment and cog wear get ruled out I check the hanger alignment.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 01-01-21, 10:52 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Checking the limit screw was mentioned, but you never responded on that. Did you unscrew it far enough? Will the chain stay put on the smallest cog when there is no tension in the shift cable whatsoever? You might even detach the cable for the test.
Old 01-01-21, 11:17 AM
ARider2

Originally Posted by trailangel
You cannot tell from looking. New cassette first.
+1 in general cannot tell, but sometimes the wear on the smallest cog can be seen if it is severe enough.
Old 01-01-21, 11:52 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
What are the tooth counts of the cassette? One possibility that could cause this problem is if you are using a cassette with an 11 tooth small cog and you happened to use a lockring for a 12 tooth small cog
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 01-01-21, 03:54 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6950 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
Originally Posted by ARider2
+1 in general cannot tell, but sometimes the wear on the smallest cog can be seen if it is severe enough.
Yes, but cassettes tend to wear more in the middle cogs, for most riders.
Old 01-01-21, 11:54 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Yea, my first question would be the limit screw, which hasn't been answered yet.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 01-02-21, 06:58 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
Originally Posted by ARKerslake
as best as i can get it
Do you have some sort of derailleur hanger alignment gauge like this or this or used one to check. Without that you will likely have a dickens of a time trying to do it and could cause damage.

I would also replace cassette. Chain and cassette work best in tandem so if one gets worn it generally wears to the other part as well. You can sometimes use many chains on a cassette but in this case for a older 8 speed set up a new cassette is well worth it.
Old 01-04-21, 06:34 AM
ARKerslake

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks to everyones advice. I bought a new SRAM cassette and it doesnt slip at all!
Likes For ARKerslake: