Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Frame paint problem on new Cannondale S6 Evo

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-22, 04:47 PM
guijs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Hello,
I have started road cycling 4 months ago and bought a new Cannondale Supersix Evo Carbon with the black frame. After just 2 rides I have noticed a "scratch" on the paint just under the seatpost screw . At first I wondered how I could have made that with my torque wrench since I'm very careful and used to working with tools. But I can't feel it when touching with my fingers, so it's not like something hit that area.

Now, after almost 600km of riding, It is definitively growing. This photo was taken today. Initially the scratch was tinner and a bit smaller.

I know that I have a lifetime warranty for the frame so I will surely ask the dealer to replace it, but I'd like to know if someone also had this problem. Is this a internal streching of the paint due to frame flex? It seems to be at the same height of the beggining of the seatpost.

Also, important to state that the dealer did not correctly applied the carbon paste on the seatpost when I bought it (despite it coming with a yellow sticker at the frame almost screaming about it), and the seatpost was slowly coming down in the first rides. I did my research and made them replace the seatpost for a new one. Maybe it is related?
Old 02-09-22, 04:56 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
I wouldn't try to figure it out. Take it back to your dealer and find out.
Old 02-09-22, 05:04 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
It's a shame that you can't post a photo, because then we'd get several pages of people speculating and arguing about your scratch. So I guess you'll have to follow Shelby's advice and take it to the dealer.
Old 02-09-22, 05:04 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Take it to your shop.....that is always the first step.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 02-09-22, 05:05 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
It's a shame that you can't post a photo, because then we'd get several pages of people speculating and arguing about your scratch. So I guess you'll have to follow Shelby's advice and take it to the dealer.

I am laughing horribly....you need to come clean the coffee off my screen LOL!!!
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 02-09-22, 05:35 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

And the discussion would seque into "Does C'dale have the responsibility to provide a new bike due to a paint imperfection of unknown origin."
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 02-09-22, 06:19 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Maybe it wasn’t properly greased.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-11-22, 10:57 AM
guijs

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
That would be terrible, bring all that discussion to a forum
Old 02-11-22, 11:25 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
You can upload a pick somewhere like https://imgur.com and then write the URL of the sharing link in one of your posts. Don't use the attachment manager or any linking tools in the editor. Just type it in or copy/paste it. Then remove the https:// and put a space around the . (dot) and the spam filters should give you a pass.

Then we can argue and speculate about it as Koyote mentioned! <grin>
Old 02-11-22, 11:40 AM
guijs

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
You guys seems to be traumatized by something and/or feel very at home to fill a thread with sarcasm to prevent it to become a big discussion about its subject. I'm not even arguing about responsibilities, what's the point?

I already showed it to the dealer when I brought the bike for the seatpost replacement and they said I must had hit the frame with some tool. It was smaller then. So, I was just hoping to know (may I, please, if you don't botter, pardon me) if someone had the same problem, at the same location (still can't post a photo or link, 3 more posts to go), since it is not simply a crack in the frame.
Old 02-11-22, 11:57 AM
guijs

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
You can upload a pick somewhere like and then write the URL of the sharing link in one of your posts. Don't use the attachment manager or any linking tools in the editor. Just type it in or copy/paste it. Then remove the and put a space around the . (dot) and the spam filters should give you a pass.

Then we can argue and speculate about it as Koyote mentioned! <grin>
Good advice, thanks. Here it is: dropbox . com / s / a6do0asfoke8ptn/FFFAA25C-5FBD-4F3D-A3B8-DEC1EF62A21E.jpg?dl=0

Let the arguing and speculation begin. I'll come back when we have 5+ pages.
Old 02-11-22, 12:10 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Here it is..... I'm staying out of this!

Old 02-11-22, 12:11 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Originally Posted by guijs
You guys seems to be traumatized by something and/or feel very at home to fill a thread with sarcasm to prevent it to become a big discussion about its subject. I'm not even arguing about responsibilities, what's the point?

I already showed it to the dealer when I brought the bike for the seatpost replacement and they said I must had hit the frame with some tool. It was smaller then. So, I was just hoping to know (may I, please, if you don't botter, pardon me) if someone had the same problem, at the same location (still can't post a photo or link, 3 more posts to go), since it is not simply a crack in the frame.
If it's not a crack, why is it growing bigger? If it's just a scratch, what's the problem?
Old 02-11-22, 12:18 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts

It's not about you...The humor and sarcasm was about bf. If you had been around here longer, you'd understand.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-11-22, 12:25 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
It looks like it was scratched while working on it. Doesn't seem like a warrantee issue to me.
Old 02-11-22, 12:37 PM
guijs

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ43
It looks like it was scratched while working on it. Doesn't seem like a warrantee issue to me.
You sound like the dealer . I promise you that's not the case. If you scratch your bike paint with a tool you will be able to feel it with your fingernails. This is like the paint under a transparent layer is stretching.
Old 02-11-22, 12:40 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Yes, does look like a tool hit it.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 02-11-22, 12:59 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

You sound like the dealer . I promise you that's not the case. If you scratch your bike paint with a tool you will be able to feel it with your fingernails. This is like the paint under a transparent layer is stretching.
Ok. Sure.

You sound like you want a replacement for something that was your error.

Last edited by KJ43; 02-11-22 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-11-22, 01:13 PM
guijs

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Ok. Sure.

You sound like you want a replacement for something that was your error.
Genius. How would posting in this forum will help me get a replacement frame?
Old 02-11-22, 01:21 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

You got me. Good luck on your search though.
Old 02-11-22, 01:29 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
I'd run a sharpie over it and forget it but I've never been one to worry about every little scratch. If you really can't feel it, I would think that would be a good case to make to the dealer. My guess is that if you want a replacement it will be a long battle working your way up the ladder and being very persistent and not accepting no for an answer.

As always, stay calm, present the facts without emotion, and make sure your dealer and Cannondale know what your expectation is. Good Luck.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 02-11-22, 01:41 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
If you really can't feel it, I would think that would be a good case to make to the dealer.
About this thing about "not feeling it". I've been working on my bikes for over 30 years and I've certainly done my share of self-inflicted damage to my bikes and I always take the blame for being a meathead.

A scratch in paint is not always this sharply defined edge that you can "feel with your fingernail". The rub of a tool can abrade the paint...almost like sanding it so the edges of the abrasion or scratch can't be felt. This can also happen from bags, straps or cables rubbing as well. The scratch or abrasion will be smooth and you can't feel it.

Unless...(and the OP isn't clear about this) he is saying that there is a clear coat over the base paint that is intact and the paint underneath the clear coat is blemished.
Old 02-11-22, 02:58 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Well yeah, but we've probably had a half dozen in the past year who've joined up just to whine vent about some issue they've already been told wasn't covered by warranty.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 02-11-22, 04:43 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
That looks about where I'd be putting my bike stand clamp.
Likes For himespau:
Old 02-12-22, 12:21 PM
guijs

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Had to wait 24h to reply... here is the reply from yesterday, but I have some news for the following posts!

About this thing about "not feeling it". I've been working on my bikes for over 30 years and I've certainly done my share of self-inflicted damage to my bikes and I always take the blame for being a meathead.

A scratch in paint is not always this sharply defined edge that you can "feel with your fingernail". The rub of a tool can abrade the paint...almost like sanding it so the edges of the abrasion or scratch can't be felt. This can also happen from bags, straps or cables rubbing as well. The scratch or abrasion will be smooth and you can't feel it.

Unless...(and the OP isn't clear about this) he is saying that there is a clear coat over the base paint that is intact and the paint underneath the clear coat is blemished.
English is not my main language but that is precisely what I was trying to say when I wrote "This is like the paint under a transparent layer is stretching". So yes, the clear coat is intact and the paint underneath looks stretched.

I'm new to road bikes but not to working with tools on delicate or fragile stuff. I've been riding dirt bikes for 25+ years and do most of the maintenance in them. I have all the tools you can imagine including torque wrenches of different sizes. I build model rc airplanes also, and I'm an engineer. I guarantee you that it was not made by a tool or anything rubbing the frame. I never ever transported the bike with straps or bags. I only put it inside my car and there is no way something could rub that part of the frame. The only time someone else touched my bike was on the bike fit, but it already had the "scratch" at that time.

Anyway... I took the closest photo I could with a flashlight pointed at it, and to me it looks like a crack. What do you guys think?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4iqb7az4re...5586.JPEG?dl=0

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.