Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

All Campy Cinelli Milano

Old 07-01-22, 06:03 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3482 Post(s)
Liked 2,903 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
From what I read, it was re-chromed and probably originally painted.
Not my bike and I dont know more than original poster noted.
I’m guessing that if it was originally painted, all that “original-ness” is now gone, leading to folks lowballing it.
Old 07-01-22, 07:41 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
Just not digging the chrome on this bike. Put me in the camp that thinks this hurts the value.
Old 07-01-22, 07:56 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
A friend if mine has a chrome Cinelli similar vintage. Its really a spectacular bike. I think $4500 is realistic. Very rare bike.
Likes For big chainring:
Old 07-02-22, 04:04 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3463 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,994 Posts
Why is this as long as its not rusting?
Seems to me that chrome protects the metal as a coating.
BTW, I love shiny metal bikes, especially brushed TI & SS
most likely the bike had some chrome to begin with. How and why it was stripped and fully chromed is an issue.
the bottom bracket region is probably less than perfect.
let the non profit auction it off, the buyer will appreciate it, so will the non profit, owner gets a tax deduction.
Likes For repechage:
Old 07-02-22, 05:58 PM
spudly

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 24 Posts
I have an original chrome SC like this of the same vintage (mine is circa 1971), though in a smaller size. I think chrome Cinellis are rare, as numerous searches of similar years generally turned up only a handful, versus very many of the standard silver, some dusty rose and very few black (love the rose and especially black ones!). I don't know what my bike is objectively worth, but it's worth a lot to me.

As noted, the rechroming of the OP's bike hurts the value, significantly to me, because I like original bikes, while some others don't much care. But I think there's a good chance that it was fully chrome to begin with. You can see blue paint in the chainstay coves, a detail that might have otherwise been overlooked if it didn't originally have them.
Likes For spudly:
Old 07-03-22, 08:19 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 777 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by spudly
I have an original chrome SC like this of the same vintage (mine is circa 1971), though in a smaller size. I think chrome Cinellis are rare, as numerous searches of similar years generally turned up only a handful, versus very many of the standard silver, some dusty rose and very few black (love the rose and especially black ones!). I don't know what my bike is objectively worth, but it's worth a lot to me.

As noted, the rechroming of the OP's bike hurts the value, significantly to me, because I like original bikes, while some others don't much care. But I think there's a good chance that it was fully chrome to begin with. You can see blue paint in the chainstay coves, a detail that might have otherwise been overlooked if it didn't originally have them.
RE: You can see blue paint in the chainstay coves
Not originally added like the blue paint in the panto bits?
Likes For joesch:
Old 07-03-22, 12:49 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
The Cinellis that go at 3k + are older than this and in considerably better condition. I think some of these numbers are fairly silly.
Likes For KonAaron Snake:
Old 07-03-22, 01:22 PM
Nubra 

Bikes: Miyata six-ten, Miyata Grand Touring, Univega Sport Tour, Univega Gran Turismo, 80's Trek MTB, 2008 Dahon Mariner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
If its original chrome, i'd go for 2k minimum
From what I read, it was re-chromed and probably originally painted.
Not my bike and I dont know more than original poster noted.
Originally Posted by Wildwood
The seller is in the hottest market west of the Appalachian Mountains (maybe less Chicago, but they are still influenced by mid-west pricing). This is Santa Clara/SF/San Mateo/Santa Cruz/Monterey +others counties. You pay more than $2000per month in grass mowing services in nearly every city around the Bay.

$2000 would be the absolute floor for this beauty in one of the nicest biking meccas (with '4 season weather') west of the Mediterranean bordering countries. A classic vintage rider, not so perfect a collector would put it on a wall, but ....a rider. Cinelli. 'California cool' status points as a C&V dude. A join the Cinelli club kinda thing. And only $2500; less than a month's property tax for most.

I'd sell the Campy barends to offset a high price paid.
Originally Posted by big chainring
A friend if mine has a chrome Cinelli similar vintage. Its really a spectacular bike. I think $4500 is realistic. Very rare bike.
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
This seems like a post to sell the bike, which has a different place, and which also requires membership. I'd call it a Cinelli Super Corsa when you sell it.

I'm going to wait for some others to chime in first...because I don't feel like I have a sense on how the chroming impacts things. I'm also not as good at dating Cinellis as some others here...I believe this looks around 74ish. If no one offers better advice than I can, I'll throw out my opinion.
The bike was ordered chromed in the 60's "Directly from Mr Cinelli" . "The Itallian chrome did not hold up very well".

Thank you all for chiming in. We are just exploring at this time. He just wants the bike to be ridden. and thanks for all the input.
I will also be posting a bontrager MTB from the same gentleman, on this site as well. All campy. Has a Rock Shock added, but the original fork is included.

Thank you

Likes For Nubra:
Old 07-03-22, 01:23 PM
Nubra 

Bikes: Miyata six-ten, Miyata Grand Touring, Univega Sport Tour, Univega Gran Turismo, 80's Trek MTB, 2008 Dahon Mariner

Originally Posted by repechage
most likely the bike had some chrome to begin with. How and why it was stripped and fully chromed is an issue.
the bottom bracket region is probably less than perfect.
let the non profit auction it off, the buyer will appreciate it, so will the non profit, owner gets a tax deduction.
The bike was all original chrome, and rechromed because it started tofail. The bottom bracket shell looks good, but I have yet to pull the cranks.
and look at it.
R

Old 07-04-22, 09:50 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 229 Posts
Not sure about the value but if I were trying to get 4 figures for a bike that wasn't an original patina wall hanger I would disassemble, clean, polish , adjust everything and put on new brake pads, cabling, and cable covers. Then and only then take some high rez photos of the bike for your add.
Old 07-04-22, 01:23 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by Nubra
The bike was all original chrome, and rechromed because it started tofail. The bottom bracket shell looks good, but I have yet to pull the cranks.
and look at it.
R
My notation is about the condition of the chrome about the tube junctions at the bottom bracket.
Hard to get sufficient plating there.

Stripping the original chrome is treacherous. Columbus tubing is a version of chromoly. And that is the interesting part, remove the chrome, remove the nickel, and hopefully there is copper below.
Buff that and restart the "triple" chrome process.
A rechrome is probably near 2x the price of chroming a frame for the first time.
Old 07-04-22, 04:38 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26375 Post(s)
Liked 10,351 Times in 7,190 Posts
...I know I probably overpay for stuff sometimes, but if I wanted a Cinelli with reasonably intact components of that era, I'd have no trouble at all paying $1500 for that one. Then I would take off all the components, paint the frame, (right over the chrome, as was often done,) in one of the traditional colors for Cinelli of that era, and put it all back together, with fresh grease and new rubber. Luckily for me, I already have a couple of Cinelli bikes, both more from the early Super Record era. Ten years ago, I'd have been sending you a PM hoping to negotiate.

My impression is that these (of that age) are uncommon in this condition. And we live in a place (NorCal) where classic road bikes are more common than most.
Edit: looking at the photos, I'm not even sure that one needs new rubber.

Last edited by 3alarmer; 07-04-22 at 04:47 PM.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 07-04-22, 04:44 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26375 Post(s)
Liked 10,351 Times in 7,190 Posts
...and just for the record, IMO Italian chrome was often terribly done. Colnago chrome was pretty close to biodegradable. So it makes sense that the owner had it re-chromed. Hoping to find an Italian frame of this age, in your size, in pristine condition, without re-chroming or at least repainting, means you'll probably never own and ride one.
Old 07-05-22, 08:02 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I know I probably overpay for stuff sometimes, but if I wanted a Cinelli with reasonably intact components of that era, I'd have no trouble at all paying $1500 for that one. Then I would take off all the components, paint the frame, (right over the chrome, as was often done,) in one of the traditional colors for Cinelli of that era, and put it all back together, with fresh grease and new rubber. Luckily for me, I already have a couple of Cinelli bikes, both more from the early Super Record era. Ten years ago, I'd have been sending you a PM hoping to negotiate.

My impression is that these (of that age) are uncommon in this condition. And we live in a place (NorCal) where classic road bikes are more common than most.
Edit: looking at the photos, I'm not even sure that one needs new rubber.
I probably overpaid for my Cinelli SC...

But you know what? I love the damned thing...rattle can paint and all. If I paid a little premium, so be it.
Old 07-05-22, 08:46 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
It's a nice-looking bike. I like the chrome. Would like it more with a dark brown brooks and matching leather bar tape (and maybe gum hoods), but to each his own.
Likes For himespau:
Old 07-05-22, 09:15 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 891 Times in 438 Posts
That is a beautiful re-chroming job. Its condition speaks for its durability. If going the eBay route, I wouldn't even mention it, just don't mis-represent if asked. All "patina", or "collector horse-crap" lies in the un-disturbed state of assembly, dried grease, fine fuzz, and all.

The bar tape is jarring to anyone without similar tastes, I'm guessing. The brake cables are too short - maybe trying to be modern-ish? They should stick up about four to five inches above the bar tops, so as not to bend the cables too sharply. IMO, their color should be chosen to match or compliment the bar tape, not to imitate the metal shifter cables. The nut on the bottom of the brake barrel adjuster is not original and does not belong there.

I have a chrome Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, of similar age and condition. When it was original, it also had bar-end shifters - interesting. If going the eBay route, with its associated potential for buyer-protection scams, I would see no reason not to shoot for the moon. Otherwise, hope-for $2000, take $1500 seems reasonable to me in your locale, not insane, but I'm not a buyer.
Old 07-05-22, 12:40 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
I probably overpaid for my Cinelli SC...

But you know what? I love the damned thing...rattle can paint and all. If I paid a little premium, so be it.
I overpaid also, it is OK, but not a last bike to sell off.
Old 07-05-22, 12:44 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

I overpaid also, it is OK, but not a last bike to sell off.
I really like it...actually among my faves of the pre-OS tubes. Mine is hideously ugly, so I can also park it in town and not get overly concerned about it; no one would give it a second look.
Likes For KonAaron Snake:
Old 07-15-22, 11:12 AM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 144 Posts
Italian chrome of this era does have a tendency to not be durable. I have a Somec with failing chrome, but that's part of the patina.
Old 07-16-22, 08:39 AM
jaysailor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Nice bike. I hope it finds or found a good home!
Likes For jaysailor:
Old 07-19-22, 07:42 PM
Nubra 

My notation is about the condition of the chrome about the tube junctions at the bottom bracket.
Hard to get sufficient plating there.

Stripping the original chrome is treacherous. Columbus tubing is a version of chromoly. And that is the interesting part, remove the chrome, remove the nickel, and hopefully there is copper below.
Buff that and restart the "triple" chrome process.
A rechrome is probably near 2x the price of chroming a frame for the first time.
Yes indeed, there looks to be less chrome there at the junction of the bottom bracket and tubing. Thanks for pointing that out. We will be sure to note that when we get to the sale portion of this journey.
Cheers!

Old 07-19-22, 07:46 PM
Nubra 

Originally Posted by VtwinVince
Italian chrome of this era does have a tendency to not be durable. I have a Somec with failing chrome, but that's part of the patina.
Apparently the chrome failure on this bike happened at a time when Ole was still riding a lot. We live ocean side, and even with frequent washing and being kept indoors in a well sealed garage/bike shed, he wanted to protect the frame, not the "original patina" value. There was no thought of it being an "original" collectors item when he did the re-chrome.
Cheers!

Likes For Nubra: