Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Where to go for a week's cycling in January?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Where to go for a week's cycling in January?

Old 12-24-22, 10:35 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3401 Post(s)
Liked 3,531 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Years ago 3 of us rode from here north of L.A. to Julian and back in 5 days. Fun trip and the area around Julian was awesome for riding. Loved the ride up from San Diego.
Yes, Julian is a cool area for biking. And staying.

When we were doing our California Desert Escape tours, we stayed in Pine Valley, Julian, Borrego Springs, Warner Springs, Temecula, Palm Springs, and Indian Wells.

My favorite areas were Borrego Springs and Julian.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 12-24-22, 07:47 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Here on Christmas Eve, it is only 55 degrees at 8:45 in Key West. For me, that makes it Blankee time in front of the fire place!!!!!!
Old 12-25-22, 04:38 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Yes, Julian is a cool area for biking. And staying.

When we were doing our California Desert Escape tours, we stayed in Pine Valley, Julian, Borrego Springs, Warner Springs, Temecula, Palm Springs, and Indian Wells.

My favorite areas were Borrego Springs and Julian.
julian area (encompassing borrego springs, santa ysabel, palomar mtn, mesa grande, laguna mtns, cuyamaca state park) is very big, notta lotta support but super versatile and filled
with love and surprises. julian is at 4,000 feet. local area tops out at 6,000 feet. borrego springs desert area drops down to > 1,000 feet. depending on the weather in the late fall/early spring,
one can start in the mountains, drop down into the desert and climb back into the mountains. granted, the el gain is close to 10k and the distance is 75+ miles but the memories and
experiences are top-notch.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 12-29-22, 06:27 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 399 Posts
Okinawa isn’t bad. Lots of coastline, safe roads, interesting culture, no crime, and good food. The weather isn’t that cold in January, though it can rain unexpectedly. The beaches are beautiful, there are plenty of places to stay, stealth camping is easy. I’ve visited Okinawa 3 times over the last year, and have enjoyed it very much.
Old 01-01-23, 10:54 AM
pstock

Bikes: (shortlist) Cyclops, Marinoni, Mariposa, Air Firday, Pocket Rocket Pro, NWT, SLX Fuso, Claude Pottie (France) x3, Masi Team 3v, Lemond Zurich, Bianchi OS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Doubleplay
Canary islands is where everybody from Europe goes for January-February. Great infrastructure and reasonably priced.
Canary Islands are on my Bucket List for sure. but they are dauntingly hard to get to. I am seeing 20-24 trips with long layovers somewhere in Europe. Not impossible just a factor to consider.
Old 01-01-23, 10:59 AM
pstock

Bikes: (shortlist) Cyclops, Marinoni, Mariposa, Air Firday, Pocket Rocket Pro, NWT, SLX Fuso, Claude Pottie (France) x3, Masi Team 3v, Lemond Zurich, Bianchi OS

I'm zeroing in I think on Fredericksnurg TX.
weather looks good for the next two weeks. (attached)
lots of interesting looking routes.
short (3.5hr) direct flight from Toronto.
though accommodation looks pricey. Is Fredericksburg a tourist town? would that be why rates seems so high?
Old 01-01-23, 11:06 AM
pstock

thought now I am tempted by Julian CA.
that's pretty interesting.
I'll quite blabbering now, get something organized and I'll report back once I get back.
thanks for the insights.
Peter
Old 01-02-23, 05:42 PM
pstock

Originally Posted by big john
Anywhere in the southwest. Here north of L.A. we ride all year and there are mountains of every description.
I was SOOOOOO close to booking a flight to LA.
my partner's cousin has a place at Ventura and suggested I ask if I could park myself there.
they were thrilled to let me crash, and I would have enjoyed seeing them, and after researching the routes it looked - a bit limited out of Ventura (up to Ojai, right to Santa Paula retunr, Left to.... the coast, return, up the CA-1 to Santa Babrara....) but overall, pretty awesome (Hey, ride a route backwards and it all looks brand new)

BUT the weather forecaset looks a bit grim from the 9th on. so Ventura is not the solution this trip. BUT I have it dialed in for a return when Julie can join me
Old 01-02-23, 07:13 PM
pstock

I think I am finally settled. thank you all for your ideas. I hope they guide others.

when I launched this question I thought I would only have about 6-7 days for an excursion.

My best options then (given flight costs, weather reports, travel times, cycling quality....) seemed, with your input:
1. Texas Hill Country west of Austin
2. Tuscon Arizona
3. Julian CA
4. Ventura CA (a late candidate. Julie’s cousins live there and suggested I come do base camp there)
5. Back to the Azores Islands
6. I even considered a long trip back to my old stomping grounds in Provence, France (where I lived in the 1990s) to visit some old friends, rides some old routes (like the Mont Ventoux) and retrieve an old bike (an Eddy Merckx) that I have been storing there for 10 years.

1, 2 and 6 failed basically on bad weather forecasts and risk of too cool temps
3. Julian CA seemed too hard to get to (car rental required likely) and too expensive for places to stay.
4. Ventura CA outside of LA was compromised because.... while there are some excellent routes, they are a bit limited and outside those routes, there is traffic. And because it is supposed to rain.
4. Azores was not breaking any new ground (though I will go back) and it has proven a bit wet off season

But it turned out that I actually had 14 days free, not 7. and so the lousy long travel time and layovers to get to further afield no longer seemed crazy.
The Canary Islands have long been on my radar screen but always seemed too far and complicated to get to/from for a short visit. but 2 weeks made it all sound doable. and weather is sunny and steadily between 14C/60F (Low) to 23C/73F (High). So I am booked and going.

I think I will take my Bike Friday with travel trailer, and not rent a car. I've done this twice. trailer to a destination. stay put for day rides for a couple of days, trailer on to the next destination.
here's what it looks like. (below)
Worst case, I call a taxi. It’s a small island.

And apparently you can take a 2 hour ferry from Tenerife to Gran Canaria. so as I am flying into Tnerige and out of Gran Canaria, I should be able to ride to the ferry and just cross over and explore them both.

So now I have to work out routes and accommodations.
On the Routes front, while I know the Canaries are a winter training destination for pro teams, I am no pro rider.
To get from the south end to the north end and the ferry terminal I would like to avoid busy roads and go over the top.
But 2300m7500ft vertical (even if only over 85kms/53miles) seems daunting.

We shall see.

Thank you for all your ideas. I hope to hit them all in the next few years.

Peter

Likes For pstock:
Old 01-02-23, 09:42 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8252 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
Have fun! If you ever do make it to Ventura there are lots of rides you may not know about. We are having rain in Southern California which is quite unusual since the drought started.
Old 01-03-23, 02:37 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
that is so inspirational! Have a great time, pics pics pics!!
Old 01-18-23, 05:28 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
New Zealand would be my choice.