Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Flying to a different country with bike parts

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 12-30-22, 06:31 PM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts

So I've looked into putting bikes onto airplanes and it looks really hard and impractical. Both the wheel size and the frame size.

But most of what makes a bike good is the smaller things: the shifters and derailleurs and the seat and pedals. And igh hubs

Anyone just flown with components and tools and built a bike at their destination?
Old 12-30-22, 07:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,954 Times in 2,643 Posts
In the end what is the plan? If you are just going on holiday and want to ride somewhere, consider renting a bike. Me personally I would take my pedals (and shoes) and probably saddle but you can ask the bike shop renting? If you are doing a tour, I would probably have your bike built up and figure a way to get it over to your destination. Maybe arrange with your local shop and the shop at the start of your trip and the end of your trip and figure out logistics of shipping it out there before hand. I personally would not want to build a bike and go touring on it right away because I want time to get used to the bike make sure it is adjusted right and everything is good to go.

Plus it would be a lot of work to build up the bike in a hotel (because you would need a stand and tools or at least tools) and you may not find a place willing to let you build a bike in their shop due to safety regulations or general shop rules. At our shop for instance all the mechanics own their own tools like an auto mechanic shop and we generally frown upon random people in the shop area just for liability reasons and so nothing goes missing or gets damaged.

If nothing else get it boxed yourself and talk with the shop near where you are starting and DHL and others deliver worldwide and then maybe have a friend back at home receive it if there is no shop or no shop willing to help at least somewhat.
Old 12-30-22, 08:12 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
When we travel with the tandem it is very close to two boxes of parts. The cranks are off. The brakes are packed in leak resistant bags. Both chains are in bags. Both seat posts and saddles are detached. Brake discs are packed in bubble wrap. Bars and stems are off.

I have assembled it at a hotel, at a storage rental, in an Air b&b... With enough practice I can assemble it in about an hour. I need a better pump before we travel again.

It has been no problem with customs in the UK or the EU. And since it fits in two airline approved cases it is considered to be luggage.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 12-30-22, 08:29 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 1,522 Times in 992 Posts
Building a bike in a hotel sounds more impractical than flying with one. However, what do you do with the wheels and frame when you're done with your trip? I don't get the economics of flying around with parts to put them on the two most expensive parts of the bike.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 12-30-22, 08:31 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai
So I've looked into putting bikes onto airplanes and it looks really hard and impractical. Both the wheel size and the frame size.

But most of what makes a bike good is the smaller things: the shifters and derailleurs and the seat and pedals. And igh hubs

Anyone just flown with components and tools and built a bike at their destination?
Ohhh boy...
Well, if you're going to a country known for its frame availability, they're probably be components there too.
This might be an opportunity to get the entire bike at the destination.

It's all about compromise.
Want to bring your components? Can you get a frame there? Will your components fit? Do you have to bring a lot of tools or do you plan to get them there? (or have a shop install them)

Then there are quick folding bikes like brompton the might even fit in a carry on, slow folding like bike friday where the frame has break aways in multiple locations.

There are also large bike boxes that will cost more to go international if you absolutely MUST have your full sized bike
(I don't know what the prices are these days)

I packed a 20" wheel Dahon (I do NOT recommend the brand tho) in a check in sized transport box.

Is this single country travel?
Is the country across an ocean?

It's all about logistics and compromise here
Old 12-30-22, 09:17 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 188 Posts
I have several of the old Colorado Cyclist clamshell plastic bike boxes they included with each sale. Easily fits a disassembled frame with wheels unless the frame is so huge it won't fit in the box proper.

But I never fly with these. It's easier to ship ahead with prepaid return postage for the way back. When shipbikes.com was still doing business with FedEx, I'd pay for shipping both ways up front, with the return label inside the box for the return trip.

Shipbikes also had a feature where you could arrange outgoing pickup or at your destination for an additional $5 each way. Very handy if there wasn't a FedEx station near your destination, or you didn't feel like driving to one to drop off your bike.
Old 12-31-22, 03:33 AM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts
Get a bicycle suitcase. Packs to a somewhat larger size than a large suitcase, surprisingly portable. You just have to remove the seatpost, handlebar, pedal and wheels. The suitcase has room for all those.
Old 12-31-22, 05:59 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 488 Posts

I've flown extensively internationally with bicycles using a Trico hardcase, and flown with bike parts on carry-on, tools in check-in, etc.

What I have not done is take all or most of the parts to build a bike once there; the tooling required would make that challenging. Going to a bike shop might take days to get your build done.
Old 12-31-22, 07:13 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 405 Posts
So I've looked into putting bikes onto airplanes and it looks really hard and impractical.
How is this hard and impractical? Before retiring I often carried bikes back and forth to Australia in a bike case made for the purpose and with the exception of our TSA and Australian inspectors that were mechanically challenged when repacking after an inspection, I did not have any problems. We are snowbirds and when travelling N in the summer rather than hang one of my babies on a rack I use a case and they ride in the truck camper shell.
Old 12-31-22, 07:51 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
There are ways you can ship your bike to your destination. If it's an expensive bike you care about, I would go with a dedicated bike shipping outfit and let them handle the details.
Old 12-31-22, 03:00 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
Flown with just components? No.
If you travel frequently or a favorite bike with some unique ability that you simply can not do without, a hard travel case & breakaway frame is some sort are definitely the way to go. The additional cost of the frame will take many flights to pencil out. A good case is over $500 now & still risks additional baggage fees unless you have no other checked baggage. The more frequently you travel the better and sooner this works out.

If you are only likely to travel very infrequently, like every couple of years or so, it may make sense to buy a disposable budget bike at your destination & consider it as part of the cost of travel.

When flying to the Nederlands the cost was $150 each bike, each way. $600 in total. Instead we opted to buy 2 used $75€ omafiets/opafiets, rode them the whole 10 days & gave them to a bartender that then comp'd our meals. Essentially making the cost $0
Old 01-02-23, 11:18 AM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts

I have flown with bike parts but not the tools. Usually it was simple items like cassettes, derailleurs, cranks, and pedals. I just packed it with my luggage. No problems or issues taking them to my destination overseas.

I do fly regularly with full size bicycles in a hard shell bike case. I haven't had any issues so far. I have also used soft sided bike cases but I prefer the hard case. It's really not that difficult to do. I have found that non-US airlines are much more accommodating than US carriers. Rarely have I ever been charged extra for a bike case and if so, it is always with a US carrier.
Old 01-02-23, 01:02 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Building a bike in a hotel sounds more impractical than flying with one. However, what do you do with the wheels and frame when you're done with your trip? I don't get the economics of flying around with parts to put them on the two most expensive parts of the bike.
In my case, the frames I have flown with are RItchey Breakaways, so I disconnect the sections and put them in one of the cases. The tires are dropped down to under 20 PSI. For the tandem Ritchey, the tires and wheels are stuffed into the case. For the tandem they go in a second case.

The solo has rim brakes, so no need to package them separately. The solo is pretty much connect the frame sections, put on the bars and saddle, put on the wheels and tires, inflate, and go for a ride. Not even close to an hour. Not hard to do after the 4th or 5th time. The tandem needs more disassembly to fit in the cases, along with riding clothes for two. But it has flat bars with 80's bar ends, so I put the fork on, attach both captain's and stoker's bars, then flip it over on the bar ends and assemble everything except the brakes.

Once it is all done except the brakes, I flip it back on the wheels and put the brakes on. Pump up the tires and we are ready to go. I even made a friend by assembling it out on the terrace of a pub in Castle Bay, Scotland. We later disassembled it in his flat back in Glasgow just before we flew back.
Old 01-02-23, 02:51 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 1,522 Times in 992 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
In my case, the frames I have flown with are RItchey Breakaways, so I disconnect the sections and put them in one of the cases. The tires are dropped down to under 20 PSI. For the tandem Ritchey, the tires and wheels are stuffed into the case. For the tandem they go in a second case.

The solo has rim brakes, so no need to package them separately. The solo is pretty much connect the frame sections, put on the bars and saddle, put on the wheels and tires, inflate, and go for a ride. Not even close to an hour. Not hard to do after the 4th or 5th time. The tandem needs more disassembly to fit in the cases, along with riding clothes for two. But it has flat bars with 80's bar ends, so I put the fork on, attach both captain's and stoker's bars, then flip it over on the bar ends and assemble everything except the brakes.

Once it is all done except the brakes, I flip it back on the wheels and put the brakes on. Pump up the tires and we are ready to go. I even made a friend by assembling it out on the terrace of a pub in Castle Bay, Scotland. We later disassembled it in his flat back in Glasgow just before we flew back.
I asked the OP about procuring a frame and wheels at his destination. Bringing your frame and wheels assembled to parts isn't remotely similar to my question.
Old 01-03-23, 08:43 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
What would you do with the built bike when your trip is over? Sell it? Give it away? Bring it back with you? You would need a container for it
Old 01-03-23, 09:27 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Originally Posted by alcjphil
What would you do with the built bike when your trip is over? Sell it? Give it away? Bring it back with you? You would need a container for it
Take it all apart again, bring it back home and then put it all together again?
Likes For Lombard:
Old 01-03-23, 10:22 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Take it all apart again, bring it back home and then put it all together again?
Sounds like a lot more trouble than using a bike case to take your own bike with you
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 01-03-23, 01:42 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
I respectfully disagree

Everything is what makes a bike good. It starts with a frame that fits and an appropriate set of wheels.
Old 01-03-23, 02:59 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by alcjphil
Sounds like a lot more trouble than using a bike case to take your own bike with you
Exactly my point from the very beginning.
Old 01-03-23, 10:12 PM
samupin

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
depending on where i am headed sometimes just mail it too.
but carry some of the smaller parts in luggage and/or carry on
Old 01-04-23, 12:08 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Seems like a lot of trouble and time to avoid luggage fees for flying with a packed bike. Or buying/renting a suitable bike at your destination.

Where are all these preferred “good” parts coming from? Are you stripping them off your “favored” bike at home or buying duplicates for the trip?
Where are you going to get the rest of the parts to build the new bike once you arrive?
Then, what will you do with the new bike when it’s time to go home?

Again , seems like an awful lot of trouble to have an exactly preferred bicycle configuration for the trip, to avoid actually bringing said bicycle with you.
Likes For Ironfish653: