Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Looking for fit critiques.

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 11-25-22, 10:40 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,842 Times in 830 Posts

Not sure if this will work but I am going to try and post a video to see if I could get some input on changes that might be beneficial. I know losing the the gut would be first priority but besides that any pointers? seat up or down or back or forward, shorter or longer stem bars up or down?? was a serious cyclist ~35 years ago and at 64yoa decided to get back into it. I went from 0 miles for the last 20 years or so to over 2000 miles since August. thanks
https://photos.app.goo.gl/RjFmPa1CKH3kd7Gj8
Old 11-25-22, 11:01 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
2000 miles since August 2022. That's serious. At least for me it is. I just don't make that much time to ride, but when I've come close to that I feel like challenging Superman!

Hard to really critique or say anything about a fit if you aren't complaining about something. I don't believe there is any formula that says this is the perfect fit for everyone. Just formulas and wisdoms from the past that get a person in the ballpark of where they should be.

If you are thinking you want more power into the pedals, you might scoot the seat forward, but that is going to possibly make you bear more weight on your handlebars. So more power comes with some compromises or other adjustments you'll need to make.

You also might try moving the cleat further back on your shoes if they'll go farther. It'll take some time to get use to the cleat there, so don't just say it feels funny and move it back the next ride. Do a dozen or so rides and compare data.

Might could raise the saddle some, especially if you try moving the saddle a bit forward.

But again, if you aren't having any issues with pains and discomfort. Or have a need you want to solve like go fast as possible for an hours time which can be a more uncomfortable position that going as fast as possible for a 4 hour ride. Then there really isn't anything you need to do. Just ride!
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-25-22, 12:08 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
Your current handlebars do look comfortable but if it were me I would miss having the option of riding the drops. Are you wedded to your current bars or could you fit some shallow drop gravel bars?

2,000 miles since August is getting back into riding in a serious way. Can you share anything about your fit that you are struggling with? Is your saddle comfortable, for example?

Last edited by masi61; 11-25-22 at 12:12 PM.
Likes For masi61:
Old 11-25-22, 02:42 PM
markynels

Bikes: CAAD13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Congrats on getting back into cycling! Based on your video, your fit appears to be quite good. My 2c would be to bring the saddle forward and lengthen your reach. It could also be that the frame is a couple cm too short for you. I can't see it quite clearly in the vid, but the saddle looks to be pretty far back on the rails which might support my theory. Generally speaking though, looks pretty good!
Old 11-25-22, 02:45 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by masi61
Your current handlebars do look comfortable but if it were me I would miss having the option of riding the drops. Are you wedded to your current bars or could you fit some shallow drop gravel bars?

2,000 miles since August is getting back into riding in a serious way. Can you share anything about your fit that you are struggling with? Is your saddle comfortable, for example?
I have kicked around going with some drop bars maybe some flared ones.Nothing that I am struggling with just wondering if anything looks out of wack. seat is a brooks b17 really comfortable.
Old 11-25-22, 02:58 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by markynels
Congrats on getting back into cycling! Based on your video, your fit appears to be quite good. My 2c would be to bring the saddle forward and lengthen your reach. It could also be that the frame is a couple cm too short for you. I can't see it quite clearly in the vid, but the saddle looks to be pretty far back on the rails which might support my theory. Generally speaking though, looks pretty good!
thanks, I was kind of thinking the frame was a bit big but maybe not. when you say lengthen reach do you mean longer stem? or drop the stem?

Old 11-25-22, 02:59 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
Not sure if this will work but I am going to try and post a video to see if I could get some input on changes that might be beneficial. I know losing the the gut would be first priority but besides that any pointers? seat up or down or back or forward, shorter or longer stem bars up or down?? was a serious cyclist ~35 years ago and at 64yoa decided to get back into it. I went from 0 miles for the last 20 years or so to over 2000 miles since August. thanks
https://photos.app.goo.gl/RjFmPa1CKH3kd7Gj8
Nothing looks seriously out of whack to me. If you aren't having any comfort issues with that mileage, there's no reason to make a fit change. Knee pain, back pain, hand pain or numbness are indicators of poor fit.

If you go to drop bars for more hand positions or a lower profile (or any other reason) you'll need to make other changes. You may even find the frame doesn't suit you with drop bars.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 11-25-22, 03:04 PM
markynels

Bikes: CAAD13

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Generally speaking you seek a 90 degree angle between where your hands contact the bars and where your shoulders meet your body. My suggestion has you lengthening the stem to achieve a longer effective reach. By doing so, you'll open up your shoulder angle. It's unfortunate given the quill setup...Thanks for the saddle pics! I'm basing the small frame size off of your tight shoulder angle and fact the saddle appears to be as far back on the rails as possible.
Likes For markynels:
Old 11-25-22, 08:48 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by markynels
Generally speaking you seek a 90 degree angle between where your hands contact the bars and where your shoulders meet your body. My suggestion has you lengthening the stem to achieve a longer effective reach. By doing so, you'll open up your shoulder angle. It's unfortunate given the quill setup...Thanks for the saddle pics! I'm basing the small frame size off of your tight shoulder angle and fact the saddle appears to be as far back on the rails as possible.
The top tube is 56.5cm seat tube 56cm I am 5'9.5" inseam 82cm as measured on bike fit board
Old 11-25-22, 09:04 PM
jadmt

Duplicate deleted
Old 01-17-23, 04:20 PM
bike eagle
On The Road Again

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Nice bike. Is that a Rivendell?
Old 01-17-23, 04:54 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by bike eagle
Nice bike. Is that a Rivendell?
Handsome xoxo
Old 01-19-23, 03:54 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,714 Times in 2,911 Posts
Only thing I noticed was the significant angle of your hand/wrist to forearm on the bars. You may want to aim to straighten out your wrist joint to avoid any potential issues there.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-26-23, 04:40 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I'd say leave it alone until you get thinner That'll create room for possible changes. I wouldn't mess with anything. Yep, it's roller season here for me. My best rate of weight loss has come from 1.5 hrs. in the gym in the morning, then the same on the rollers in the afternoon. Coffee before, just water during. Not every day of course. But I'm retired.