Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

15 miles into 30 I took a hard fall......

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-20, 01:13 PM
pullings

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts

I had just turned around at the halfway point.....after I got my speed back up I accidentally went off-path because I was being stupid. When I tried to get back on path both wheels caught curb lip and I went down hard while clipped in.
Bike damage: shredded front tire&tube. Carbon wheel OK though! Scratched up my brand-new Ultegra shifters....BOTH of them! I broke my air pump that I carry in jersey pocket. Scratched up wrap and bars. Helmet is done....back side is flattened in a bit and dented up.
Me damage: 4-inch impact bruise on left hip that is swelling pretty bad. Some rash on left arm. Left ribs hurt under arm pit....nothing broken though. Head hurts a little due to hard hit on pavement. My wife and I are keeping tabs on symptoms.....its been three hours and so far so good (headache almost gone). Gloves save my hands.....a bit soar, but not even a scratch on hands.

Will be taking a day or two off from riding. :-(
Old 06-15-20, 01:35 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Sorry to hear you had the crash. Hopefully you will find you aren't seriously hurt more than it appears right now.

I went down hard on a ride over some trolley tracks and it not only took me off the bike a while, but got in my head a bit about riding near them.
Old 06-15-20, 01:56 PM
Frank72

Bikes: 2022 Ribble Endurance Disc Sport 2018 Trek Emonda Al4, 2012 Motobecane Heat Ti,

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 67 Posts
Sorry to hear about your crash! Very same thing happened to me a couple years (4-5) ago. I got a concussion and rash. Didn't know what day it was for an hour or so after. Hit my head hard. Helmet saved my life.
Old 06-15-20, 04:52 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Glad to read that nothing major happened. Hopefully you only have a short "bikus interuptus."

Originally Posted by pullings
I had just turned around at the halfway point...................Will be taking a day or two off from riding. :-(
7 weeks ago today I only made it to 33 miles of 100 miles when a wild hog ran into me. The bill for the 2 hour ER visit was $75,000. Still waiting for billing of the 2 day stay at Trauma Center and the ambulance ride to it. Bike suffered a slightly tweaked right brifter and I had a punctured lung, 2 cracked ribs, cracked scapula and shoulder injury. Got back to gingerly riding the bike 9 days after crash.

GOOD LUCK and HEAL QUICKLY
Old 06-15-20, 05:10 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Glad you suffered only recoverable injuries. I'm an old man of 81... (no 82?) whatever, and I find I bruise easily and any injury would take weeks or months to heal. Consequently I work at keeping my mind on the riding and not any other issues. Meditation is helpful for this as one learns to keep the mind on target. This does not mean you do not notice Spring flowers or trees or the road ahead. But it does take a deliberate effort and one gets better with practice like anything else.
Old 06-15-20, 05:16 PM
pullings

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
Glad you suffered only recoverable injuries. I'm an old man of 81... (no 82?) whatever, and I find I bruise easily and any injury would take weeks or months to heal. Consequently I work at keeping my mind on the riding and not any other issues. Meditation is helpful for this as one learns to keep the mind on target. This does not mean you do not notice Spring flowers or trees or the road ahead. But it does take a deliberate effort and one gets better with practice like anything else.
Thanks for the sound advice. I just bought a new helmet online, and got a pump. Tire is fixed. That takes care of the bike.
As for me, no concussion. However after laying around for a few hours my whole body aches. Nothing broke though. In a few days I should be back riding again.
Old 06-15-20, 05:21 PM
SpectrumTi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
Quite possible you are alive only because of the helmet.
Likes For SpectrumTi:
Old 06-15-20, 05:22 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Since your tire was shredded, better check that carbon rim again. And again when you get the new tire on and up to pressure.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-15-20, 05:38 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Glad you are relatively Okay.

This GCN video on checking your bike after a crash could be worthwhile.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 06-15-20, 05:38 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
If the pain in the hip and ribs gets a little worse you might want to get them x-rayed. Often a minute crack in a bone doesn't show up on an x-ray until after 24 hours.

I hope you're okay and heal quickly.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 06-15-20, 05:50 PM
SpectrumTi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
Quite possible you are alive only because of the helmet. Hope you recover quickly.
Likes For SpectrumTi:
Old 06-15-20, 06:25 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,270 Times in 1,272 Posts
You are very fortunate even though you sustained some injury. A couple of years ago I let my front tire drift close to the edge of asphalt, there was no bike lane. Before I could react or compensate the asphalt punched me in the face. I was wearing a helmet so no concussion but I broke my face in 5 places . My cheek bone was just pieces floating around and my orbital bone was broken. My left hand was broken and lots of road rash on my legs and shoulder. I was only going 12mph and it could have blinded me when the orbital bone broke. I was also fortunate. I realized, after almost fifty years of serious cycling how vulnerable we are. I still enjoy my cycling but with just a little more caution!
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 06-15-20, 10:30 PM
Bosco215

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Glad to read that nothing major happened. Hopefully you only have a short "bikus interuptus."

7 weeks ago today I only made it to 33 miles of 100 miles when a wild hog ran into me. The bill for the 2 hour ER visit was $75,000. Still waiting for billing of the 2 day stay at Trauma Center and the ambulance ride to it. Bike suffered a slightly tweaked right brifter and I had a punctured lung, 2 cracked ribs, cracked scapula and shoulder injury. Got back to gingerly riding the bike 9 days after crash.

GOOD LUCK and HEAL QUICKLY
I had a similar mishap on my first century attempt. I was 31.9 miles in when I took a corner too fast and hit a series of three bumps where a tree root was pushing up the pavement. Low-sided the bike and slid into the tree line. Luckily there was a fire station a mile back I was able to ride back to where they checked me out and bandaged me up. Just some swelling and road rash luckily. I figured I might as well keep trying to finish. Glad I did as its one of my most memorable rides. Still have the scars to remind me not to quit. Also got back on a day or two after. Still hesitant at high speeds around some corners though. Oh and the data is pretty funny to look at. Everything just plummets.
Old 06-15-20, 11:06 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Doesn't matter if it is a bike or car, if you go off the pavement, don't panic, just slow down and pick a safe place to get back on
Likes For jefnvk: