Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

show us your balaclava

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

show us your balaclava

Old 12-07-21, 07:11 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
show us your balaclava

this is one of mine. I've been using it lately. I like it because it is thin. it's a little long in the neck & I have to roll it up, but it don't mind. the opening looks like it's only big enough for the eyes but it actually stretches under my chin, covering the front of my chin. I have others but this is the one I'm using to start the balaclava season ... I've had this AEROSSI Balaclava since 2019
Old 12-07-21, 10:29 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
Needing glasses to ride limits me to mostly open face balaclavas. The biggest problem I have with balaclavas in general is finding one that sits properly against the forehead. Many of them tend to float or pull back leaving the forehead unprotected.

My current favorite when its not too cold or windy is this Dakota brand one from the Canadian chain Marks. A lot of stretch so I can easily pull it below my chin. And it has a nice puffy waffle pattern inside that seems to be known as grid fleece. The Under Armour Base x.0 thermal tops / bottoms have the same kind of pattern. Not quite as wind resistant as some of my other balaclavas and my ears can start getting cold when its windy.

When its colder I use the face mask part from an Outdoor Research Gorilla Balaclava with a polyester balaclava that I sewed velcro onto.

Likes For gecho:
Old 12-07-21, 10:47 AM
Wilbur Bud

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 31 Posts
I've been using an old Smartwool one that was quite thin but it is shredded now. I am disappointed in the current market as all seem to be the very-tight headsock variety (including current Smartwool) and I cannot seem to find another loose wool one. Happy to see the two above and will have a look. I have a big skull (hatsize about 8) also which doesn't help with the compression aspect of the OSFM approach. Open face style for me and when below about 15F then I wear a half-mask respirator facepiece over that (without filters) in order to pre-warm and pre-humidify the incoming air. Looks stoopid but quite comfortable.

Old 01-26-22, 10:12 AM
alfie43

Bikes: Specialized, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Balaclava

Wool balaclava and polyester neck gator. - Pearl Izumi non insulated rain proof jacket (rain proof equals windproof). - Three base layers; one light polyester, one Smart Wool 200 weight and one Smart Wool 260 weight - Thermal winter tights - Ski gloves - Smart Wool medium weight socks, and old Nike mesh upper running shoes.

Photo is from Dec 2017 with old bicycle. - My current winter "scooter" is a Trek FX 3 with Planet Bike fenders and Schwalbe Marathon Winter 700x35 studded tires. - Today's ride was great; sunny, light wind at 9° (1° wind chill).

I'll be 79 years old this April.

Mariano

Last edited by alfie43; 01-26-22 at 12:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Likes For alfie43:
Old 01-27-22, 07:05 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 951 Times in 783 Posts
I like this one a lot
Old 11-15-22, 08:27 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

ppl must be breaking out their hoodies right about now, eh?
Old 11-15-22, 11:53 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 951 Times in 783 Posts
wore the baclava for the first time yesterday. And my warmer pants too.
Likes For djb:
Old 01-10-23, 07:41 AM
rumrunn6

can't find mine. ugh, where is it?