Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Repairing my grocery getter panniers

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-22, 06:25 PM
dmwill

Bikes: 1989 Dahon Stainless Steel Classic, 1993 Burley Samba Mixte tandem, 2002 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 2003 Co-Motion Speedster tandem, 2021 Trek Verve 3, 2021 Priority Current

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts

I've been an effort to use the bike for transportation more and more and one of the successes has been grocery runs. I found our Burley Coho single wheel trailer with the cargo bag in the main compartment and two small Ortlieb panniers hanging on the rack on either side of the trailer wheel hold the weight really well and is quite stable. Brought home a watermelon and two 12 packs among all the regular stuff today!

Unfortunately it handled so well that when I leaned it over to take the downhill turn on the way home I heard a scrunching sound I didn't like. Turns out those panniers ride kind of low and wide with a 12pack in each one and the one on the inside of the turn scraped the ground along that turn like a motorcycle road racer. Now I have a quarter size hole in the bottom of that bag

Is Tenacious Tape a good bet for filling up that hole and keeping it waterproof? If not, what's better?
Old 07-01-22, 05:17 AM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by dmwill
I've been an effort to use the bike for transportation more and more and one of the successes has been grocery runs. I found our Burley Coho single wheel trailer with the cargo bag in the main compartment and two small Ortlieb panniers hanging on the rack on either side of the trailer wheel hold the weight really well and is quite stable. Brought home a watermelon and two 12 packs among all the regular stuff today!

Unfortunately it handled so well that when I leaned it over to take the downhill turn on the way home I heard a scrunching sound I didn't like. Turns out those panniers ride kind of low and wide with a 12pack in each one and the one on the inside of the turn scraped the ground along that turn like a motorcycle road racer. Now I have a quarter size hole in the bottom of that bag

Is Tenacious Tape a good bet for filling up that hole and keeping it waterproof? If not, what's better?
Some photos might be helpful
Old 07-01-22, 06:32 AM
dmwill

Bikes: 1989 Dahon Stainless Steel Classic, 1993 Burley Samba Mixte tandem, 2002 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 2003 Co-Motion Speedster tandem, 2021 Trek Verve 3, 2021 Priority Current

Originally Posted by holytrousers
I wholeheartedly agree, but I haven't been here enough to sit at the grown up table yet. I'll go welcome a few other noobs and then post up a picture or two
Old 07-01-22, 07:08 AM
dmwill

Originally Posted by holytrousers
Here's what it looks like.

Close up carnage.

View from open top of bag to show hole in lower right corner.

View from outside while loaded as it was during the incident.

Doesn't take much lean in a turn to scrape.
Old 07-01-22, 07:47 AM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 78 Posts
If you haven’t tried yet, I would reach out to Burley too.
Old 07-01-22, 08:25 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
You might look into the product recommended here called Tear-Aid:
https://visihow.com/Repair_an_Ortlieb_Pannier_Bag
Old 07-01-22, 08:40 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I might try the Tear-aid on the outside, and just in case, slap some Duck Tape (not to be confused with duct tape) on the inside. Working theory would be that the Duck tape would spread the load so you don't end up with as concentrated a pressure pushing the Tear-aid off the fabric from the inside.
Old 07-01-22, 09:31 AM
dmwill

Originally Posted by debade
If you haven’t tried yet, I would reach out to Burley too.
Oh gosh good point. All our other side bags are Ortlieb so my brain assumed these were too and they totally are not. I've sent a note to Burley to see what they have to say.

Once this one is fixed I'm going to have to figure out some kind of skid plate so it doesn't happen again. Maybe those plastic stiffeners that come in the bottom of inexpensive tote bags would work.
Old 07-01-22, 01:05 PM
dmwill

Thank you for the Tear-Aid and duck tape suggestions. I heard back from Burley, they suggested Tenacious Tape on both he inside and outside due to the size of the hole so I'm going to give that a shot first.
Old 07-01-22, 03:30 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by dmwill
Thank you for the Tear-Aid and duck tape suggestions. I heard back from Burley, they suggested Tenacious Tape on both he inside and outside due to the size of the hole so I'm going to give that a shot first.
To me their design looks flawed. I would point that out to them and ask for smaller/higher bags.
Aren't they adjustable ? Maybe their mounting mechanism has some height adjustement that could help.
Concerning your repair, you can try to use super glue with some baking powder : here is
Old 07-02-22, 09:30 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
They look like pretty standard panniers but are riding pretty low due to the small wheel on the trailer. I'd take it to a luggage repair and for the future maybe add a plastic skid plate. Maybe knee pucks if you think you are Mark Marquez

It's nice to see Burley has more kid and cargo stuff again. When I was having kids (2014-17) it seemed like they were dropping a lot of utility and kid bike stuff and concentrating on the toddler trailers which was taking them down the same road as BOB. This thing is pretty new and they have both flatbed and covered cargo two wheelers, and brought back their trail-a-bikes. Although the front wheel conversion for those hasn't come back!
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 07-02-22 at 10:02 AM.