Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

My old Ironman electronic scale!

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 07-15-22, 11:46 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts

Incredibly, my nearly 30 year old Ironman bathroom scale is still going strong! I'm finally looking at all those other numbers it gives me. In particular the muscle mass verses the BMI and weight. I'm doing perhaps 3x more pedaling than last year, and my BMI readout has dropped from maybe 31% down to 25%. Weight dropped from 205 to 194, and muscle mass gained from 121% up to 141%. With this latest increase in muscle reading my weight has come up to 201.

So much for the numbers, I'm feeling stronger, pedaling more easily, and have much less pain when climbing up or down our 3-stories plus attic. Especially knee pain is nearly eliminated.

Question is: should all those weight-related numbers sum up to equal my body weight? There's a water content readout, as well.

Cycling: (the important part!) Monday we went out to a Metropark and did a flattish 15 mile out'n'back in just a bit more than an hour. Most at about 10 mph/110 bpm, but with a few short sharp climbs about 10 minutes total, where HR hit 135, with a total climbing about 500 feet (not sure I get how Wahoo measured this one!), so except for the proper volume and periodization, I might not be far from the Norwegian routine. Local vintage group has a 25 mile out'n'back tomorrow, so I need to do a warmer-upper this afternoon after I get done tuning the saddle (needs a different slam and tilt to feel right, it also might be a bit too high). The hills on this one are a bit more, and being a group of guys I might have to sprint a little.