Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Old farts music

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old farts music

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-22, 10:14 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,602 Times in 2,907 Posts
Moody Blues, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Van Morrison, Cat Stevens, The Doors and so many more, like Courtney Barnett, Kurt Vile, Dave Mathews

Old 05-16-22, 01:39 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I haven't read most of the posts here - too lazy! But from what I read, I saw a lot of names that I have liked over the years. I recently watched a video where the speaker said that if he was trying to introduce aliens to the concept of Rock, he'd play AC/DC and maybe VanHalen for them. Coincidentally, those two are right up there on my play list.

I too remember being in love with Karen Carpenter's voice. I just never liked her fall-behind-and-catch-up style of singing the lyrics. Similarly I liked Whitney Houston's voice but couldn't stand her overdone warbling.
Old 05-16-22, 02:16 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I too remember being in love with Karen Carpenter's voice. I just never liked her fall-behind-and-catch-up style of singing the lyrics. Similarly I liked Whitney Houston's voice but couldn't stand her overdone warbling.
We all like what we like. I cannot think of anything even remotely similar in voice (or style or talent) of Karen Carpenter and Whitney Houston.

Old 06-05-22, 05:17 PM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
Old 06-10-22, 06:36 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
sitting out side by fire cranking Sirius radio.
classic song on Yatch rock Gerry Rafferty bakerstreet
I just love it.
Kane local nj beer = happiness

in 2016, i was deployed to the east coast on storm duty after a hurricane and was driving along the coast looking at the boats when i found the Yacht Rock station on Sirius ------ i typically listen to a ton of podcasts, but i paused and thought --

"Im by the water - im looking at boats and waves and all that --- Yacht Rock would be cool for an hour or so "

Then after a few days it was like, --- "Oh crap - i really am getting old ! I like this crap!" LOL

Been listening to the type of rock that doesnt rock the boat ever since ---- even started unbuttoning the top 2 buttons on my hawaiian shirt and wearing my gold watch from time to time !
Old 06-10-22, 07:15 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
in 2016, i was deployed to the east coast on storm duty after a hurricane and was driving along the coast looking at the boats when i found the Yacht Rock station on Sirius ------ i typically listen to a ton of podcasts, but i paused and thought --

"Im by the water - im looking at boats and waves and all that --- Yacht Rock would be cool for an hour or so "

Then after a few days it was like, --- "Oh crap - i really am getting old ! I like this crap!" LOL

Been listening to the type of rock that doesnt rock the boat ever since ---- even started unbuttoning the top 2 buttons on my hawaiian shirt and wearing my gold watch from time to time !
yes..love that station. It screams nj shore summer to me.
Old 06-17-22, 08:04 PM
bkaapcke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Blues piano fan, here. Pinetop Perkins, Butterfield, Piano Red, Hadda Brooks, Maria Muldauer and many more. Favorite blues guitar players; Elvin Bishop and Ronnie Earl. I'm sure this really "dates" me, But so what. I picked uup the blues habit after I broke up with my first serious girl friend and it has kept me going ever since. My only regret is not taking the time to learn how to rock a piano myself. BK
Old 06-19-22, 10:50 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 602 Posts
Just discovered this yun lady yesterday, guess I need to come out from under my rock more often. If you like blues guitar, Joanne Shaw Taylor on guitar and vocals.

Old 06-23-22, 08:15 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by smurfy
Since I turned 60 a couple of months ago and even before that I found that I can't listen to rock anymore. It just gives me a headache.

My taste in music nowadays is ambient trance, erethal wave, gothic, neo classical, new age, progressive and experimental, electronica, whatever innovative alternative stuff that interests me, etc.

Some examples are (in no particular order):

Above & Beyond
Amethystium
Bella Sonus
Blue Stone
Brian Eno
Dark Sanctuary
Delerium/Conjure One
Enigma
Lycia
Mythos
Portishead
Solar Stone
Thierry David

Too many to list them all!
Add in music from India and Pakistan

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-23-22, 08:43 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Perhaps the most poorly considered double-bill concert I ever saw was ...
Oh man, I was just thinking of this the other day. The winner by a landslide for that dubious distinction was when I saw Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention in November 1974 at the Capitol Theater in Passaic NJ (this was just prior to the release of their One Size Fits All album, same sextet that made that recording) ...and the opening act was The Elvin Bishop Blues Band. Talk about chalk and cheese. Oil and water. It was awful suffering through his three-chord swamp boogie just to get to Zappa's surreal dada-esque jazz-rock fusion. Mercifully Elvin got booed offstage after ~20 minutes. Seriously.

Second runner up was Renaissance in March 1975 at The Felt Forum in NYC...warm-up act was Al Stewart (remember "Year Of The Cat"?) So 10,000 orchestral prog-rock nerds had to suffer through an hour of proto-yacht pop. I think I threw up in my mouth.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 07-11-22, 06:55 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 1,559 Times in 727 Posts
Day on the Green 1974 Oakland Coliseum
> Commander Cody
> New Riders of the Purple Sage
> __________
> Grateful Dead

The blank was the Beach Boys. Brian was flipping out, they didn't show for an hour then played for 20ish minutes.
Old 07-15-22, 05:16 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
I don’t listen to music anymore while riding but when I was younger I would listen to a Walkman ( yea I’m that old) until the batteries died . I would keep spare batteries in my back pack and continue on. My favorites were The Who , Chicago, Traveling Wilburies , Jimmy Buffet. As far as concerts with multiple headliners, mid seventies at Balboa Stadium San Diego with the Doobie Brothers and Chicago. It was especially memorable because it was with my two brothers and we got there early. We were able to get close enough to the stage but still be in a place where the sound was good. My oldest brother has always been in the music business so he picked the spot and it worked out great. Gotta love general admission!
Old 07-15-22, 10:11 AM
jskita

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
I often play Al Stewart's Year of the Cat. (long version). I Just the play the intro with some nice bassy speakers then I carry the tune for the rest of the week
Likes For jskita:
Old 07-16-22, 08:54 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Oh man, I was just thinking of this the other day. The winner by a landslide for that dubious distinction was when I saw Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention in November 1974 at the Capitol Theater in Passaic NJ (this was just prior to the release of their One Size Fits All album, same sextet that made that recording) ...and the opening act was The Elvin Bishop Blues Band. Talk about chalk and cheese. Oil and water. It was awful suffering through his three-chord swamp boogie just to get to Zappa's surreal dada-esque jazz-rock fusion. Mercifully Elvin got booed offstage after ~20 minutes. Seriously.

Second runner up was Renaissance in March 1975 at The Felt Forum in NYC...warm-up act was Al Stewart (remember "Year Of The Cat"?) So 10,000 orchestral prog-rock nerds had to suffer through an hour of proto-yacht pop. I think I threw up in my mouth.
Weasels Rip My Flesh
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 07-18-22, 12:41 PM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 119 Posts
I have the Extended version of "Crimson and Clover" by Tommy James and the Shondells on my Amazon Music Playlist.
So Much better than the version we heard on our transistor radios back in 1968.

The Best part comes at the 1:52minute mark through the 4:30 minute mark...........
'
Old 07-18-22, 09:06 PM
big john

Quoted: 8262 Post(s)
Liked 8,998 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Weasels Rip My Flesh
Old 07-19-22, 01:17 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Weasels Rip My Flesh
Originally Posted by big john
First time I ever visited Los Angeles I was stuck in a traffic jam, and suddently realized that I was directly behind an Orange County Lumber Truck!
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 07-19-22, 02:02 PM
big john

Quoted: 8262 Post(s)
Liked 8,998 Times in 4,456 Posts
First time I ever visited Los Angeles I was stuck in a traffic jam, and suddently realized that I was directly behind an Orange County Lumber Truck!
lol
Old 07-27-22, 02:01 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 977 Posts
I became a Deadhead in '73, the year after I started riding. I saw them over 50 times. I'm not into any of the post-Jerry lineups but I still listen to concert recordings regularly. I was a bit of a Mothers fan prior to then and I grew up on the Beatles, but that's about it in the Rock idiom. Mostly I listen to Jazz. Living in NYC I enjoy the richness of our clubs and have missed live music during COVID, I've been back to the Village Vanguard just once post-Covid. Favorites - too many! The legends - Coltrane, Dolphy, Ornette, Mingus, Davis, Adderly, Ellington, Basie...I ate up modern jazz through the late 70's and 80's, like the Art Ensemble of Chicago, World Saxophone Quartet, Weather Report, Anthony Braxton, Dave Holland, Jack DeJohnette, Cecil Taylor, Keith Jarrett, Carla Bley, Charlie Haden, Sam Rivers...among contemporary players I enjoy Branford Marsalis, Chris Potter, Joshua Redman, Brad Meldhau, Ethan Iverson, Aaron Parks, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Gilad Hackselman, Pat Metheny...I could go on, I'm forgetting way more than I can list. I like various acoustic and "world music" styles and I'm a big fan of Steve Reich and Terry Riley over in the "minimalist" camp.

That said, songs drop into my head constantly and it's a weird mix of pop music from my youth, show tunes, and TV commercial jingles. I keep a list to amuse myself.

Likes For ascherer:
Old 07-27-22, 08:23 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts

I would have been much happier with the opening act, but I love the blues. My current hero is Gary Clark Jr.

Maybe the worst pairing ever was having Prince opening for The Rolling Stones. Prince was a genius, but this was before that genius was recognized, and he was not given a friendly reception.

Old 07-28-22, 08:17 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I can state that the worst concert I ever saw was The Steve Miller Band, for the Jet Airliner tour. I cannot remember who the opening act was, but I remember it was not good. Steve Miller was pathetic. The crowd was almost all teenyboppers, the band played for maybe 45 minutes and walked off the stage.
Old 07-28-22, 09:05 AM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
I can state that the worst concert I ever saw was The Steve Miller Band, for the Jet Airliner tour. I cannot remember who the opening act was, but I remember it was not good. Steve Miller was pathetic. The crowd was almost all teenyboppers, the band played for maybe 45 minutes and walked off the stage.
Miles Davis on Steve Miller:

“I remember one time - it might have been a couple times - at the Fillmore East in 1970, I was opening for this sorry-*ss cat named Steve Miller. Steve Miller didn't have his sh*t going for him, so I'm pissed because I got to open for this non-playing m*therf*cker just because he had one or two sorry-*ss records out. So I would come late and he would have to go on first and then we got there we smoked the m*ther******** place, everybody dug it.”

Likes For bargo68: