Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Trip Report. Trask to Coast Oregon

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 07-27-22, 08:18 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 285 Posts

Trask River Oregon Gravel Route
My buddy and I decided to check out the Trask River Gravel route through the Oregon coastal range before a predicted heat wave hit. On day 1 we started in McMinnville taking Old Railway Grade Road to Turner Creek Road connecting with the official route. The climb over the crest was steep with loose gravel which made for slow climbing. After we crossed the crest, we had a nice break from climbing wandering around Barney Reservoir. I had hoped the road would closely follow the North Fork of the Trask, but most of the time it was quite aways above the river along mountain slopes. At one point, the route did drop down to the river only to turn and climb back up. Eventually the road did drop and follow the river connecting with the paved Trask River Road. From there we fought a headwind to Tillamook and then past to Cape Lookout State Park. Route.

We had planned to take it easy on day 2 following the Three Capes Loop to Pacific City before heading to Hebo and back into the coast range to Mount Hebo. The ride to Pacific City was excellent as always as was the ride to Hebo. Once we arrived at Hebo, a quiet paved road climbed relentlessly from sea level to 1800ft in 4 miles. The climb was a bear never going below 5% and many pitches were much higher than that. We had the option of continuing past Hebo Lake, but when we reached Hebo Lake, I was glad to stop and set up camp. Hebo Lake isn’t much of a lake, but the campground is a cute one. There’s no potable water there so we had to filter lake water for the evening and the next day. Route

The climb that morning rose from Hebo Lake at 1500ft to Mt. Hebo at 3200ft in 3.6 miles. It was much easier than the climb the day before as the gradient had many breaks below 5% to rest the legs on the climb up. Unfortunately, the coast was fogged in so we were unable to see the ocean from the top. Afterwards, we quickly dropped down to South Hebo Lake and onto Grande Ronde Reservation land along Agency Creek. The ride along Agency Creek was wonderful with a gradual decline to Grande Ronde and civilization. Route.

All in all it was a good trip with lots of good scenery, but I doubt I’d do it again. The gravel route along the Trask River spends most of its time far above the river climbing up and down along the sides of mountains while the climb up to Mt. Hebo is a lot of work considering the payoff.

Last edited by mtnbud; 07-27-22 at 08:26 PM.
Likes For mtnbud:
Old 07-27-22, 10:15 PM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts
mtnbud it looks like you guys had a fantastic trip. Thank you for sharing your story and routes.
Likes For M Rose:
Old 07-28-22, 05:27 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Cheese? 🤔😁😉 Looks like a cool trip. 👍
Likes For stardognine:
Old 07-30-22, 04:46 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 285 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
Cheese? 🤔😁😉 Looks like a cool trip. 👍
Tillamook Cheddar is on sale at my local Safeway right now. Cheaper than the cheese factory, but no free samples. My favorite sample is the cheese curds AKA Squeaky Cheese. (I wish Tillamook would make a Gooda - Doesn't need refrigeration and adds good flavor and protein...)
Likes For mtnbud:
Old 07-30-22, 06:41 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
That's the only problem with cheese, after about 2 days in your pannier (or wherever you might store it), it starts lookin' kinda funny. Like someone tried to nuke it, and only halfways got it. 😁

What this country needs, is smaller dairy portions in stores. Like chocolate milk, it's either a half pint or a half gallon. Why not sell it in quarts? 🤔

And doggone it, make whole chocolate milk easier to find. Us skinny dudes have no use for low-fat chocolate milk. 🤪

OK, I'm done now. Thanks for listening. 😁

BTW, I like squeaky cheese too. ✌️
Likes For stardognine: