Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

10 Reasons Why I Like Early 1970's Raleigh Grand Prix

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

10 Reasons Why I Like Early 1970's Raleigh Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-22, 09:22 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Reason #13

Spindly seat stays
Old 08-12-22, 11:06 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
I wonder if that is due to the spindly seat stays? The Super Course of the same era has much beefier seat stays, although the overall frame geometry of the two are almost identical.
I always felt it was the bottom bracket area that was killing me. I replaced every single thing on that bike with some of the best gear available, nothing could appreciably change the frame's characteristics.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed mine tremendously while I had it. It replaced a ROLLS that was just too small for me. In turn, my GP was replaced by the Bob Jackson, which I still ride to this day.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 08-14-22 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-13-22, 06:48 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts

Gazelle built Grand Prix. Cyclo-cross tubulars, Simple chaingaurd, and Planet Bike fenders.

Last edited by big chainring; 08-13-22 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Duplicate
Likes For big chainring:
Old 08-13-22, 06:55 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts

Gazelle built Grand Prix. Cyclo-cross tubulars, Simplex chainguard, and Planet Bike fenders.
Old 08-13-22, 07:32 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Originally Posted by Bad Lag
I always felt it was the bottom bracket area that was killing me. I replaced every single thing on that bike with some of the best gear available, nothing could appreciably change the frame's characteristics.
How would changing components affect how a frame handles?
Old 08-13-22, 03:58 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
How would changing components affect how a frame handles?
First off, we are talking about me when I was just a stupid kid - young, less knowledgeable, stupid. Did I mention we were poor? Does that explain it? Happy now?

I did everything I could to make the BIKE a better rider. It was my hobby. I even painted it.

Each purchase was under approximately $30, so small, manageable amounts for a poor kid. Swapping the wheels was far and away the biggest improvement - tubulars instead of heavy old clinchers. I was too poor to sustain the use of tubulars on the crappy, littered streets.

When, ultimately, I realized it was the frame, it still took years to commit to buying a new frame and getting the money. All those components were stripped from the GP and used to build up the Bob Jackson.

The new frame was a revelation.

I still have a lot of those components, too - first gen Dura Ace hubs and brakes, etc.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 08-14-22 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-13-22, 11:06 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
I have a green one from 1971 that I never built up . It was made in Holland. I thought it would make a good cruiser but just not motivated to build it……..yet.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 08-15-22, 05:10 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
That Green GP changes components like my wife selects shoes
Just a bunch of ever-increasing costly upgrades. Does your wife choose more and more expensive shoes each time?
This was almost all original equipment until I received it from my friend. We both graduated from high school in 74 from the same school and neither of us knew the other.
That 105 setup really worked well in Lancaster County, PA. I have another bike that has filled the SS niche. I would like to get another Nitto Dynamic II 90mm for this bike.
Old 08-18-22, 09:16 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
It's strange that most Grand Prix's I see have down tube shifters. Mine has stem mounted shifters.

It might be this model?

Old 08-19-22, 07:52 AM
branko_76 

Originally Posted by Desert Ryder
It's strange that most Grand Prix's I see have down tube shifters. Mine has stem mounted shifters.

It might be this model?
The catalog page shows a late 70's "Made in England" model, yours looks to be an early 80's "Made in Japan" model
Old 08-19-22, 08:18 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 871 Times in 417 Posts
My 78 GP Mixte, made in Nottingham, has Stem mounted shifters.

Likes For daverup:
Old 08-20-22, 02:04 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
I like looking at them - especially the silver and blue version - because they remind me of my freshman year in HS. I rode my Schwinn Traveler III and locked it in the bicycle enclosure along with at least three silver and blue GPs. Well, I did until some cretin stole that same Schwinn near the end of the school year

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 08-20-22, 09:13 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

The catalog page shows a late 70's "Made in England" model, yours looks to be an early 80's "Made in Japan" model
Any confirmation that Japan built Raleighs were built by Bridgestone?
Old 08-20-22, 09:15 PM
branko_76 

Any confirmation that Japan built Raleighs were built by Bridgestone?
I have no idea, I'm sure there are members who do know
Old 08-20-22, 09:41 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
You use the word "like" in a way that is unfamiliar to me.

I was a shop mechanic from 1978 through 1984. I worked on many of these bikes. The cranksets and headsets were pretty annoying. The headsets were hard to adjust, but I guess I'll admit that they were durable: they'd start out lousy and wouldn't get any lousier.

About three years ago, I was volunteering at Mechanical Gardens, a bike coop in Brooklyn. I fixed up this Record to get ready for sale. It took a lot of work, but the end result was very functional. I even took it for a test ride, and that was pleasant except for the horrific traffic and the fact that the bike is so big for me. Pictures here

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-05-22, 08:02 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Raleigh Grand Prix model with the wrap around seat stay was manufactured in Canada until 1983. During 1983 the frame design changed. The earliest Raleigh Canada Grand Prix that I have seen is from 1977.

There was another Raleigh Canada model at this time called the Criterium. The frame looks essentially the same as the Grand Prix except it does not have brazed on cable stops and sometimes came equipped with Shimano 600.

The Raleigh Grand Prix model with the wrap around seat stay also have Worksop, Nottingham, and Gazelle serial numbers. I do not know if this model was manufactured in Ireland or South Africa. I have seen a Raleigh Grand Prix labelled as assembled in the USA and the frame made in Nottingham.

The look of the Grand Prix from each factory is about the same. I think the tubing used was also close to the same. Has anyone compared Grand Prixs from different factories? Was the frame manufacture quality the same?

TI Raleigh (USA) inc. had some frames made in Japan by Matsushˇta/National.

I have never seen a Raleigh Grand Prix model from Japan. Does anyone have pictures of one?

I have seen a Raleigh Super Grand Prix model from Japan.

When Huffy licensed the Raleigh name there was a Raleigh Grand Prix model with the frame from Taiwan.
Old 11-05-22, 08:16 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Originally Posted by beicster
And that red is perfect. Just absolutely perfect.
And the bronze green was equally a great match to the black panels. My first 10 speed was that bike, badged as an Eaton's Glider.

Likes For clubman:
Old 11-05-22, 08:37 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Originally Posted by Hummer

The look of the Grand Prix from each factory is about the same. I think the tubing used was also close to the same. Has anyone compared Grand Prixs from different factories? Was the frame manufacture quality the same?

I have never seen a Raleigh Grand Prix model from Japan. Does anyone have pictures of one?

Sure. Made in Japan

Likes For Desert Ryder:
Old 11-06-22, 12:38 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Sure. Made in Japan
Wow. Thanks, that is great. Does not look like a Grand Prix from Raleigh Canada. No wrap around seat stays.
Old 11-08-22, 11:17 AM
branko_76 

Originally Posted by Hummer
Wow. Thanks, that is great. Does not look like a Grand Prix from Raleigh Canada. No wrap around seat stays.
No "wrap-around" seat stays and certainly no charm that the original "Made In England" GP's had